AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Pick the Next Single: Radiohead - Kid A

Posted by - 06:36 AM on 06/14/07
Last week, "Become What You Hate" won by an overwhelming margin to become what you all thought should be the next single from Midtown's Living Well is the Best Revenge. This week we're going to shift focus from pop-punk to the brooding and the more ambiguous. It's time to decide what should have been.

Radiohead's Kid A came out in 2000 and became an unqualified success even without any formal music video or single. An early Internet leak and buzz from previous albums helped this band succeed into mainstream territory sales of over one million albums sold. Later, the song "Optimistic" made it onto the Billboard charts, reaching as high as #10 on the modern rock charts.

This album was not meant for the mainstream though. A lyric booklet was never published because vocalist Thomas Yorke said "the lyrics are absolutely brutal and horrible" which also explains how the vocals are intertwined with the music.

Can an album this far from what is commonly found to be popular be accepted into the mainstream? That is your job to decide. You must pick the song that you think would be the best next single for the band. What will you choose and why? Please list all reasons as to why you think your song pick would be the best choice.

Remember: We are not looking for what you think is the best song...we want what will be the best single. There is a difference.

Note: This is purely for discussion purposes and is in no way indicative of what the record label will be doing. This is not a contest to decide what the single will be; it is a hypothetical question to spur discussion and to gauge what people would do

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 55
06:41 AM on 06/14/07
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
Kid-A
06:51 AM on 06/14/07
Brianfarg
RIP Mr. Vonnegut
User Info.
Everything is in its right place.
06:52 AM on 06/14/07
chowski
User Info.
Shit. I clicked the wrong one. lol

I've always thought "Idioteque" was catchy as fuck. Favorite Radiohead song of mine? Possibly.
07:00 AM on 06/14/07
reav
honestly, it was nothing.
User Info.
While I think Optimistic is a good choice, I don't recall this album having any actual singles. I do remember however, Everything In It's Right Place being played in the US remake of Vanilla Sky with Tom Cruise.
07:07 AM on 06/14/07
Travis Parno
my sensible heart
User Info.
i feel like "National Anthem" has a catchy enough bass riff to gain some radio popularity. most of the other tracks, other than maybe "Idioteque," while still amazing, take a little more thought to really get into. i dunno, just an opinion.
07:10 AM on 06/14/07
doyouhas?
We're On Our Way Home.
User Info.
national anthem is amazing. in limbo would be the worst choice i think. i absolutely love that song, but its not exactly radio friendly
07:14 AM on 06/14/07
heartsynapse
throwing punch after punch
User Info.
Idioteque or The National Anthem would do well, I think.
07:16 AM on 06/14/07
purplestuff
Fidel Cashflow
User Info.
idioteque would be the best choice I think, although the entire album jams. motion picture soundtrack is one of my favorite songs ever.
07:29 AM on 06/14/07
eleventh_hour
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Idioteque is probably the most radio-friendly.
07:32 AM on 06/14/07
Boo Radley
User Info.
No singles. This is best enjoyed as a whole album.
07:34 AM on 06/14/07
Ruggiero2oo8
don't worry, be happy
User Info.
Idioteque.
07:57 AM on 06/14/07
Anthony Lutz
nextstoptheolympics.tumbl r.com
User Info.
Fucking Idioteque!!!!!
07:59 AM on 06/14/07
radio napalm
User Info.
I think there's a reason why this album never had any singles. Overall, it's just not very radio friendly.
08:06 AM on 06/14/07
sayyes
I'm damaged bad at best
User Info.
Idioteque in a landslide

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT