Password

Album Review

Drive A - The World In Shambles Album Cover

Drive A - The World In Shambles

Reviewed by
Drive A - The World In Shambles
Record Label: Dead Conflict Records
Release Date: August 9, 2011
Does “punk” actually still exist? While I don’t consider myself a historian nor am I the biggest fan of the genre, I do know that punk rock was more than just a type of music. It was a new way of thinking, with rebellious attitudes riding high and anti-establishment sermons being taught into the minds of the audience. Bands like Sex Pistols, The Clash, and The Ramones all fore fronted the genre into a revolution. Now skinny jeans and expensive haircuts have taken over the punk mindset to the point where the 14 year old kids in today's “scene” have no idea what punk is unless it’s after the word “pop.”

LA based band Drive A, however, are no strangers to the punk genre. Having already opened for bands like Alkaline Trio, being featured on various music sites “featured” lists, and releasing a successful debut, the band still finds time to be humble with their influences. The bands most recent release, The World In Shambles, pays tribute to punk acts of the past while still progressing the genre in the right direction. With The World In Shambles, the band wanted to make an album that was “completely live” and would capture the energy the band put forth onstage. And that’s exactly what they achieve on this album.

After a few words from Don Monroe, “Revolt!” blasts through. Bruno Mascolo’s gritty, nasally vocals attack the listeners ears as Cody Root shows no mercy on the drums. Add guitarist Jason Nott and bassist Taylor Knowles and The World In Shambles starts off with a power punk, high-energy anthem.

Throughout the record, hints of classic punk are found on all the songs. But instead of straight up re-hashing the same sound that made the genre so famous, Drive blend influences of power punk, hardcore, and even pop punk to keep the sound fresh and new. “Young C*nts” posses the charm of punk acts from the past, while keeping up with the current state of the rock scene.

The first single, “Let’s Have A Train Wreck,” presents a more structured sound than other songs on the album. By now, you’ve probably seen the video for the song (it’s been on the site for some weeks now), and seen the energy Drive A posses. A wise choice for a single, “Let’s Have A Train Wreck” proves that Drive A can be catchy and raw at the same time.

But don’t think the band as “pop punk” just because they can write a catchy chorus or two like in the single or the title track song “The World In Shambles.” There are points where the band dives into a heavier sound. “Robbery” goes down the hardcore path, with Mascolo’s screams taking surface as he belts, “See through the lies!” “Dead End Lives” follows suite, featuring a heavy build-up and gang chants, though it is one of the more forgettable songs on the record. Ultimately though, this album features the fast pace and tempo that made the punk genre so famous. Just take a listen to “Empty Pages” or “Belligerent Time Bomb,” the later channeling some Rage Against The Machine angst into the frantic structure.

After a failed attempt at a calmer, slower song with “Shallow Security,” the album closes with “Salvation,” A Green Day/NOFX-esque rocker, this is probably one of the best songs on the album. Going along with the album theme, “Salvation” shows that even in the toughest of times, there’s always a light at the end of the tunnel.

The World In Shambles is proof that the actual punk genre isn’t dead; it’s only been lost. While there are a few other bands that have brought punk to the surface, Drive A has risen it out of the water and back into the ears of us all. Though the genre has yet to be found again, The World In Shambles is evidence that punk still exists somewhere.

Recommended If You LikeBlack Flag; Green Day; Buzzcocks; Alkaline Trio; The Offspring
This review is a user submitted review from CoopDawg. You can see all of CoopDawg's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
07:01 AM on 09/27/11
TheGuillotine
User Info.
Band gets a lot of hate...but I thought the album had a few decent tracks and wasn't THAT bad as people make it out to be.
09:14 AM on 09/27/11
CoopDawg
Lunacy! Lunacy! Lunacy! Lunacy!
User Info.
Band gets a lot of hate...but I thought the album had a few decent tracks and wasn't THAT bad as people make it out to be.
I mean, it was alright to me. Nothing groundbreaking but I don't know why people have a problem with this album.
07:33 PM on 02/22/12
mrnubnub
User Info.
This band is the complete opposite of punk when you see what they do to get their name out there.
You can start by looking at any of their news posts, flooded with fake 1 post accounts all saying the same thing

And the album is average at best

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version