AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
All That Remains - For We Are Many Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 7
Production 8
Creativity 5.5
Lasting Value 6.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 76%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.5
Production 9
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 9
Average: 86%
Inside AP.net

All That Remains - For We Are Many

Reviewed by: ChristianFuller (09/25/11)
All That Remains - For We Are Many
Record Label: Prosthetic/Razor & Tie
Release Date: October 12th, 2010

"Defy, we heed the call. Defy, strengthen us all. Defy, for we are many, rising to crush you." These words set the stage for Springfield, MA metalcore act All That Remains' fifth outing, For We Are Many. This release takes after ATR's other work, with a heap of shredding guitars (provided by Oli Herbert and Mike Martin), ear piercing screeches and guttural growls (courtesy of vocalist Philip Lambonte and bassist Jeanne Sagan), and bone-crushing beats dealt by Sagan and drummer Jason Costa. This album is pure brutality that rarely ceases the breakneck pace.

Vocally, this album is a gem. You'll be hard-pressed to find a vocalist that can out-scream Lambonte. His improvement is apparent on various tracks throughout this album, especially on the heavier tracks such as "For We Are Many" or "Dead Wrong". The musicianship is often on par with the vocals, providing a refined, if unoriginal metal sound. The album's brutality is often equaled out by melody, making some songs sound lighter than any of ATR's previous releases. The heavier side, however, can be very reminiscent of a refined version of All That Remains' first album, Behind Silence And Solitude.The lyrics on For We Are Many are all over the place, and at times can be very strong, but more often then not just seem very average. They shine the most on some of the angrier songs on the album, such as "Won't Go Quietly", "For We Are Many", and "Aggressive Opposition". As mentioned, Lambonte's clean vocals appear more often this release, used throughout various songs including "The Last Time", and "The Waiting One". It should be mentioned that the latter is also one of the album's best tracks. It changes the typical pace that the album follows, starting out with an acoustic-backed hard rock sound, that gradually transforms into a slower paced metalcore song.

For We Are Many does unfortunately suffer from a case of songs blending together. Each song is good in and of itself, but they all have a similar sound, which rarely allows tracks to stand out. Besides "The Waiting One", each song is just a mix up of similar instrumentation, and a vocal style that either relies heavier on screaming, or heavier on clean vocals. The pace is rarely mixed up, except for the on-off style of switching which vocal style dominates. However, For We Are Many does manage to handle this style rather well, and depending on the listener's preference, the consistently break-neck speed may be enjoyed. The album builds itself up well, with the slower paced intro "Now Let Them Tremble" building up to the brutality of the title track.

In addition to the problem listed above, For We Are Many is held back by its repeated style. This album is ATR's fifth release, yet beside increasing production values and growing talent of the band's members, it is hardly indistinguishable from ATR's previous records. Longtime fans hoping to hear something new will definitely be let down. It's upsetting to know that such veterans of the industry still won't divert from their average sound to try something new. Overall, besides a few pitfalls, For We Are Many has enough redeeming qualities to appeal to new and old fans alike, or really just anyone that enjoys a brutal, if unoriginal metalcore album.

Recommend If You LikeMetalcore; All That Remains; Atreyu; Killswitch Engage; Parkway Drive; Demon Hunter

Track Listing:
1. "Now Let Them Tremble"
2. "For We Are Many"
3. "The Last Time"
4. "Some Of The People, All Of The Time"
5. "Won't Go Quietly"
6. "Aggressive Opposition"
7. "From The Outside"
8. "Dead Wrong"
9. "Faithless"
10. "Hold On"
11. "Keepers Of Fellow Men"
12. "The Waiting One"

Myspace.com/Allthatremains

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8.
06:30 PM on 09/25/11
cococrisp20
3Hunna
User Info.
good review on one of the best albums last year
04:55 AM on 09/26/11
ominousfog
Turn of a page, end of an age.
User Info.
I really can't stand this band's music. Their instrumentation is just not exciting at all, and the clean vocals sound so forced and cliche (not to mention overproduced). It's like Killswitch Engage...but somehow worse.
04:58 AM on 09/26/11
ominousfog
User Info.
Also, I can think of pleeeenty of vocalists that can out-scream Lambonte.
09:42 AM on 09/26/11
EternalEclipse
fight the power
User Info.
Needed more screaming. Otherwise, good album
12:58 PM on 09/26/11
Pete-Fish101
hi, hi! hi!! HAI!!!
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Also, I can think of pleeeenty of vocalists that can out-scream Lambonte.
Name them. because I pretty much ONLY jam hardcore acts and I think Phil is the best screamer that Metalcore and Hardcore have to offer
02:20 AM on 09/27/11
ominousfog
User Info.
Name them. because I pretty much ONLY jam hardcore acts and I think Phil is the best screamer that Metalcore and Hardcore have to offer
I'm not going to name them, that would take forever. I mean even M. Shadows (was) a better screamer, but let's just say Josh Miller. It's more of a personal preference anyway when it comes to screaming, it's not like there's really an accurate talent measuring system. All I was really saying was that there are tons of vocalists who can do exactly what he does very easily. And there are a good amount of those who I don't have to hear start singing pussified, ultra-autotuned vocals in their choruses.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests