Password

Album Review

The Human Flight Committee  - Small... Album Cover

The Human Flight Committee - Small...

Reviewed by
The Human Flight Committee - Small Business Solutions
Release Date: March 8, 2005
Record Label: Renfield

The Human Flight Committee, hailing from New Hampshire, plays a dynamic and explosive brand of hard rock. Perhaps 'post hardcore' comes to mind, but the spastic beats and off key melodies hint otherwise. Their overall sound is an exciting onslaught that doesn't get overly watered down by any one element. A cheap comparison could be The Blood Brothers with cleaner vocals. On Small Business Solutions, an album that fits snugly in length between an EP and a full length (at 33 minutes), song to song variation is a crucial component. Although the mid section of this album (tracks 3-5) isn't part of their current repertoire, the songs are distinct each in their own right. However, the two opening tracks, and the closer, “Innocence or Irrelevance” are the most bombastic of the bunch. At some moments, it draws comparison to Refused’s masterpiece, The Shape of Punk to Come, in sheer momentum.

The album begins with a ringing phone (not all too uncommon) and builds momentum before running into a schizophrenic verse of “The Five Second Saga”. One of the best things about The Human Flight Committee is their ability to make even straightforward song structures seem dynamic by the vocal variation. The songs aren't without hooks either, they boast memorable melodies that slash their way between off kilter rhythms. The album goes between this aggressive sound and smart melodicism throughout its length. At no point does anything sound too forced to work. The band isn't afraid to be spontaneous, and it is a quality you can infer from the album, but undoubtedly see in their explosive live show. “Last Night I kidnapped Myself” throws a little screaming into the mix which contrasts with the anxious verses. The following two tracks differentiate themselves even further, “Building Holiday” reminisces Mewithoutyou, while the seven and a half minute “The Fall of a City, the Rise of a People” builds slowly from a pseudo ballad to a grooving number with sporatic instrumentation.

The Human Flight Committee has an impressively original sound, and with some exposure, will certainly go places. They do not quite fit into any one scene, but complement many nicely with their influences. I highly recommend giving this album a try if you are a fan of catchy but hard hitting rock and roll.

1. The Five Second Saga
2. The Recticle Demographic
3. Last Night I kidnapped Myself
4. Building Holiday
5. The Fall of a City, the Rise of a People
6. Innocence or Irrelevence

www.myspace.com/thehumanflightcommittee
This review is a user submitted review from Troggy. You can see all of Troggy's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
06:41 PM on 05/07/08
Circoheeve
User Info.
I liked it, its something different to listen to. 3&1/2 stars.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos