AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Thrice - Major/Minor Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 79%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.29
Musicianship 9.54
Lyrics 9.63
Production 9.5
Creativity 9.27
Lasting Value 9.42
Reviewer Tilt 9.6
Average: 95%
Inside AP.net

Thrice - Major/Minor

Reviewed by: weworemasks (09/26/11)
Thrice - Major/Minor
Release Date: September 20, 2011
Record Label: Vagrant Records

For a band like Thrice, making music has always come so effortlessly. That realm of the band really hit its stride throughout the course of the meticulous and experimental Alchemy Indexes, and even more so with Beggars, their 2009 LP. So for a band that has toyed with a dozen different rock and roll genres, one can imagine a bit of a writer’s block when it came time for album number 7. Turns out, Major/Minor found Thrice fine-tuning the Beggars sound into a more expansive rock album with a few more ideas to boot.

For the first time in their career, the band seems to have released their first true “follow-up.” And in the scope of the Thrice discography, that can be a very polarizing feeling. Some may declare that they’ve finally settled in on a sound, while others may be worried that this is the sound they are settling on. Beggars’ blues-oriented rock and roll was an immense departure from Thrice’s entire back catalog, and left a lot of the fans in the dust. And if that’s the sound they want to explore, then it seems many will in fact get left behind.

The album’s opening duo of “Yellow Belly” and “Promises” soar, coupled with memorable guitar parts and Dustin Kensrue’s spotless vocals. With the use of certain production techniques, this record is legitimately heavy, but not in the post-hardcore leanings of Thrice’s past. This is clearly a matured band who’ve grown past the days of growling and shouting, subbing in sludgy guitars and dropped bass tones in their place. The same maturation is evident in the math-rock inspired “Blur,” which finds itself switching time signatures several times throughout the song.

Discomforting as it is to say, it wouldn’t be surprising if this was Thrice’s last album, at least for a while. The bookend mentality of “Anthology” finds the lyrics taking bits and pieces from old Thrice songs, including “Atlantic” and “Trust.” The somber “Words in the Water” holds an inspiration from biblical scriptures, discovering themes of salvation and redemption. Not to mention, it’s easily one of the album’s best tracks.

“Disarmed” is a great closer for Major/Minor, slow in its pacing and heavy in its delivery. The guitar is methodical, Dustin’s voice is earnest and the material is reflective and gloomy, before it reaches an emotional apex - not unlike the bridge in “Of Dust and Nations” and “In Exile.” And that’s the thing. This entire record has an anthemic, retrospective feel that captures the best and worst bouts of nostalgia, which is what makes it such a satisfying listen.

[ed note: Anything about the band’s ‘end’ is conjecture on my part.]

Recommended If You LikeThrice - Beggars

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 37.
11:49 AM on 09/26/11
lovemetal24
User Info.
there is now way this album is less than a 90! seriously
12:22 PM on 09/26/11
theotheryabs
There's a Melody in Everything
User Info.
Score's too low. Not even a joke, it's too low.
12:26 PM on 09/26/11
Jay Sean Fenris
User Info.
80 %? That equals 4/5 stars so I think it's about right.
12:40 PM on 09/26/11
ACA
Next Show: Silverstein @ NYC 4/25
User Info.
For AP.net scoring, this should probably be a 500 or 600%. I think some fake band like Cobra Starship got 50% once, so it's easily 10 times better than that.

In Thrice's discography, it's their weakest since Identity Crisis.
12:59 PM on 09/26/11
PeeDster
@alextranslantic
User Info.
For AP.net scoring, this should probably be a 500 or 600%. I think some fake band like Cobra Starship got 50% once, so it's easily 10 times better than that.

I saw your post in my reviews thread and I disagreed with so much of it I didn't even know where to begin.
01:03 PM on 09/26/11
Jake Jenkins
~
User Info.
this review is really poor. very boring, very short, very mundane.
01:14 PM on 09/26/11
lovemetal24
User Info.

this is a travesty
01:59 PM on 09/26/11
weworemasks
save the drama for wilmer valderama
User Info.
there is now way this album is less than a 90! seriously

Score's too low. Not even a joke, it's too low.

sorry, it's an opinion. for what it's worth, thrice is still my favorite band and i've seen them 19 (soon to be 20) times. and also, i think a 7.9/10 is high.

80 %? That equals 4/5 stars so I think it's about right.

thanks.

i think the alchemy index as a whole is their weakest since IC. i liked beggars a bit more than this record, though the last four songs on this album are some of the band's best work.

this review is really poor. very boring, very short, very mundane.

boring and mundane basically mean the same thing. sorry it bored you?

and as for "very short," AP's guidelines say it should be from 350 to 750 words, and this is 450. i'm not sure you're correct.
02:02 PM on 09/26/11
Jake Jenkins
~
User Info.

boring and mundane basically mean the same thing. sorry it bored you?

and as for "very short," AP's guidelines say it should be from 350 to 750 words, and this is 450. i'm not sure you're correct.

thought i'd reiterate how boring it is.

it just seems rushed, like not a whole lot of thought was put into it. especially when compared to the staff review.
02:09 PM on 09/26/11
whiterussian
awake my old dry bones.
User Info.
I just wish this "end" talk would cease. It's just conjecture that sprung from the title of one song.
02:11 PM on 09/26/11
theotheryabs
There's a Melody in Everything
User Info.
sorry, it's an opinion. for what it's worth, thrice is still my favorite band and i've seen them 19 (soon to be 20) times. and also, i think a 7.9/10 is high.

It's your opinion, and I can totally respect it. This album just completely blew me away, i thought it deserved more than what you gave it. But again, your opinion.
02:20 PM on 09/26/11
weworemasks
User Info.
thought i'd reiterate how boring it is.

it just seems rushed, like not a whole lot of thought was put into it. especially when compared to the staff review.

well, in a sense, it was rushed. mine is under 500 words, where alex's is about 1400. no shots at alex, but i'd probably never read a 1400 review of an album. i write what i'd read. kinda like how bands want to make music they'd listen to.

and again, sorry it was boring. maybe a smooth talking, constructive guy like yourself can edit my review to fit a mold of review that's pleasing to you.

I just wish this "end" talk would cease. It's just conjecture that sprung from the title of one song.

has someone else spoke about this? a friend and i were talking about this while listening to the album, so i thought i'd include it in the review. would you honestly believe that thrice had any more music to write? these guys have done everything for rock music. and so many of their fans are the worst i've ever witnessed. so unappreciative.

It's your opinion, and I can totally respect it. This album just completely blew me away, i thought it deserved more than what you gave it. But again, your opinion.

thanks guy. opinions make music fun.
02:37 PM on 09/26/11
whiterussian
awake my old dry bones.
User Info.
has someone else spoke about this?

It's been going on since the track list came out. The worse was when it was talked about (as a rumor) on the huge OC Weekly article, citing as a source "people close to the band", which just ticks me off.
I'm not certain but it might be in the other review as well. But it's been all over the Thrice threads on AP.net.

edit: my view on Anthology - Dustin felt that the themes of loyalty and love fit the feel of the instrumental, and he decided that instead of making up a whole new set of lyrics for themes he already explored, that he would make a fun collection of references to the previous lyrics. And that's it.

also re: score - I'm a diehard Thrice fan, but I am also extremely critical. And as far as Thrice goes, I think the score is fair for someone's opinion. I am also a Vheissu-fanboy, which would be 90-95% for me or something.
02:58 PM on 09/26/11
weworemasks
User Info.
It's been going on since the track list came out. The worse was when it was talked about (as a rumor) on the huge OC Weekly article, citing as a source "people close to the band", which just ticks me off.
I'm not certain but it might be in the other review as well. But it's been all over the Thrice threads on AP.net.

edit: my view on Anthology - Dustin felt that the themes of loyalty and love fit the feel of the instrumental, and he decided that instead of making up a whole new set of lyrics for themes he already explored, that he would make a fun collection of references to the previous lyrics. And that's it.

also re: score - I'm a diehard Thrice fan, but I am also extremely critical. And as far as Thrice goes, I think the score is fair for someone's opinion. I am also a Vheissu-fanboy, which would be 90-95% for me or something.
god damnit. i had no idea, honestly. if anything, i'd attribute that whole topic to my friend if i didn't know any better. and i didn't even read alex's review, like i mentioned.

i'd give vheissu a 9.3, so i'm with you there.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests