AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Simple Plan - Get Your Heart On! Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 6.5
Production 9
Creativity 6
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 79%
Member Ratings
Vocals 10
Musicianship 9.38
Lyrics 9.5
Production 9.75
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 9.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.75
Average: 95%
Inside AP.net

Simple Plan - Get Your Heart On!

Reviewed by: MyFriendsOver (09/27/11)
Simple Plan - Get Your Heart On!
Record Label: Atlantic
Release Date: June 21, 2011

Simple Plan have never been the most respected band in the scene. A pair of platinum albums during the early-2000s "golden age" of pop-punk starkly divided potential fans into two groups: those who dismissed the band as juvenile rubbish, and those who embraced Simple Plan. Incidentally, the same two groups are likely to be at odds six years later with the band's latest effort. Make no mistake, this is Simple Plan's most complete and well-rounded work to date, and goodness is it catchy...but by now we all know what to expect from them in the lyrics department. Anyone who is averse to hearing cheesy lyrics and by-the-rules powerpop will most definitely not enjoy this album, but fans of the band (and probably some newcomers as well) will enjoy a collection of singalong gems.

And I do mean gems. Get Your Heart On! opens with a triple-shot of supremely catchy pop-punk that could have been ripped straight from 2003. Of course the production is up to date and spot-on; Pierre Bouvier's slightly nasally vocals are polished to a brilliant shine and delivered with the perfect amount of feeling and emotion throughout. Production aside, however, little has changed since '03 in terms of style on the front half of this record. The driving beat of "You Suck At Love" and the rapid-fire opening guitar / drums riff and timely handclaps of "Can't Keep My Hands Off You" are familiar territory, but they are executed so well that it's hard to complain. "Jet Lag" could very well be the catchiest song of the year, and the male-female duet of Bouvier and Natasha Bedingfield deserves to land this single on Top 40 radio.

The later half of this album is where the listener gets a few subtle winks at Simple Plan’s more recent ventures in the form of branching out stylistically. The band try their hand at Jason Mraz-esque pop with “Summer Paradise:” an optimistic acoustic number very reminiscent of Mraz’s “I’m Yours.” “Anywhere Else But Here” relies on synth and processed beats to create an electronic feel, and by the time the needling guitar lead in the chorus kicks in, it’s very likely that the listener already knows the words and is singing along. Finishing off the album is the ambitious closer, “This Song Saved My Life.” A compilation of sentimental Tweets from fans, the final track reflects the impact Simple Plan have had on the lives of their listeners throughout the years.

As mentioned earlier, this album is not particularly creative, nor is it unique lyrically. Lines about Fruit Roll-Ups and Lil Wayne, and Bouvier challenging an enemy of his to “throw down” in the album’s most aggressive song will leave more cynical listeners rolling their eyes, and understandably so. But on the other hand, there is something very endearing about these songs. There’s an honest emotion on this album that was commonplace during the early 2000s but is more difficult to find today. There’s no mention of partying or waking up with no memory of last night, and nowhere on the album will the listener encounter the word “dance.” It’s especially difficult to deny the poignancy in the last track—in fact it’s not even Simple Plan who wrote those lyrics, it’s the fans. Get Your Heart On! is exactly what these fans are looking for, and if that’s not your thing, that’s OK—just don’t expect Simple Plan to be something they’re not.

Recommended If You Like Early 2000s pop-punk; Simple Plan’s first two albums; Summer

www.simpleplan.com

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13.
08:56 PM on 10/08/11
InfiniteArms
Best Western Beat
User Info.
Cool review!

Astronaut seems out of the place on this record - Maturity level dropped or rose when writing this track or something, it just seems out of place.

Anyone else think this?
01:29 AM on 10/09/11
MBIIdollaBill
die young and save yourself
User Info.
idk, they are just way too many pop punk bands who day it way better
05:10 AM on 10/09/11
pbueddi
User Info.
this album is perfect for what is is. nice review
06:23 AM on 10/09/11
derekrvr
is a koala bear
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Well done review. :) I can't really get into this album, but it's not bad.
06:53 AM on 10/09/11
PureBlueSF
ur not even pop punk
User Info.
I actually like this album quite a bit. Jet Lag is my jam.
06:59 PM on 10/09/11
KillHipsters
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Simple Plan make me cry every time I hear them on the radio because the thought of just how many unicorns died during the recording of this album just becomes too much for me to bare.
09:47 AM on 10/10/11
Acad08
@explorerbri
User Info.
Jet Lag is where it's at! Great album.
10:35 AM on 10/10/11
MyFriendsOver
Your pictures are already burned.
User Info.
Cool review!

Astronaut seems out of the place on this record - Maturity level dropped or rose when writing this track or something, it just seems out of place.

Anyone else think this?
I think Simple Plan jumps back and forth between songs where you're supposed to take them seriously and songs where you're supposed to take it as "just for fun." This album probably has the fewest number of songs that you're supposed to take seriously since "Just Balls."
10:38 AM on 10/10/11
MyFriendsOver
Your pictures are already burned.
User Info.
Thanks to anyone who left positive feedback! This is my first album review, and I hope to write more in the future.
02:44 PM on 10/23/11
jaffacake101
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Cool review!

Anyone else think this?
Completely agree. However after listening a few times, the song has grown on me.
05:57 PM on 10/29/11
wecameaswaffles
Alternately Thrilled & Desperate
User Info.
i still like them. first heard of them when i was 7, on that disney skateboarding game. nice review.
04:47 PM on 06/25/12
Gildedlullaby
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Nice review
Options
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music