AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

The Avett Brothers - Emotionalism Album Cover

The Avett Brothers - Emotionalism

Reviewed by
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
The Avett BrothersEmotionalism
Record Label: Ramseur Records
Release Date: May 15, 2007

The Avett Brothers don’t like labels. The two siblings (along with bassist Bob Crawford) want each person to form a musical opinion independent of some genre or classification. True, part (most) of my job is describing the type of music one could expect to hear on records. However, I will try and honor The Avett Brothers and never pigeonhole Emotionalism into a certain musical category. I will simply make it clear that this is a fantastic record full of upright bass, piano, nonfiction songwriting and banjo(!!).

I know what’s running through your mind; “Blake, you’re an idiot. This is a folky bluegrass record.” Silence! I swore not to mention such things in this article. But I guess since you, the reader, said that, it’s ok to leave in. I’m a man (small boy) of the people.

All three members of The Avett Brothers croon. There is no singing on Emotionalism, for I feel that word wouldn’t do the record justice. Seth Avett has one of the most refreshing voices to hit the South. He can smoothly wail on slower songs (“The Ballad of Love And Hate”) and has no trouble getting knees a slappin’ on the poppier sing-alongs (“Pretty Girl From San Diego”).

The Avett Brothers give everyday situations lovely musical accompaniments. “Will You Return” questions if two lovers will cross paths again to a raucous banjo melody and advanced-“chopsticks” style piano. “Shame” is highlighted by rough harmonies and a ghostly organ, faintly reminding yours truly of The Format. And much like Dog Problems, Emotionalism is a dark, personal record, regardless of the simple music. No ballads about a memorable wedding day or taffy pulls make appearances. Harmonica-laced “Go To Sleep” is a fine example of the deceptive nature of these songs. Over lalalas and cheery piano, Avett details serious trials and tribulations: “Twenty-one days / lost at sea I fought / For twenty-two years non-stop I've talked / Through the desert / pissed drunk, and confused I walked / I spit a tooth in the palm of my hand.”

Emotionalism is no walk in the park, but it might be good for a walk in the park. Get it? Let this one sink in. The Avett Brothers don’t create music for the “I’m late to work. I’m gonna grab a Nutragrain bar” crowd. They make music for the few people who still make oatmeal in the morning and prefer open windows to noisy air conditioners. None of those old-fashioned things describe me. But after a few more months with Emotionalism, they might.

Recommended If You Like: The Format, Ryan Adams, walking sticks, David Shultz, icky girls, Sammy Walker and pretty much the whole Ramseur Records family

Noteworthy Linkswww.myspace.com/theavettbrothers
www.ramseurrecords.net

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 20
11:21 PM on 06/18/07
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
Sounds interesting. I might give them a whirl.
03:53 AM on 06/19/07
Praetor
as we melt, let's make no noise.
User Info.
Haha, what a review.
07:05 AM on 06/19/07
imtimwhoareyou
Student, photographer, etc.
User Info.
Can I still enjoy it if I like high-tech, quiet AC?
08:07 AM on 06/19/07
Snails
see the benefits.
User Info.
Awesome review, yet again.
08:11 AM on 06/19/07
cole
User Info.
this is one of the most original bands out there at the moment. even if "bluegrass" isnt your thing i still suggest checking these guys out.
08:14 AM on 06/19/07
Poochemist
Not that easy to confuse
User Info.
Great closer to the review.
08:34 AM on 06/19/07
solargrrl
onegirlarmy, bitches.
User Info.
There is nothing like them live - their energy and musicianship is amazing. They have a really intense and fantastic live show - everyone should give them a chance live either way because you might surprise yourself. I got into them after seeing them live and don't think the album would have sounded the same otherwise - they have a live album as well --
08:47 AM on 06/19/07
RockVocalPower
Ups and Downsizing
User Info.
Amazing band...NC represent!
09:00 AM on 06/19/07
combatbaby
meow
User Info.
This album hasn't left my CD player in a month. This band is so wonderful.

There is nothing like them live - their energy and musicianship is amazing. They have a really intense and fantastic live show - everyone should give them a chance live either way because you might surprise yourself. I got into them after seeing them live and don't think the album would have sounded the same otherwise - they have a live album as well --

Agreed. Seeing them live was one of the most amazing experiences ever.
09:08 AM on 06/19/07
meeotch
...all we fight for
User Info.
Nice review, good record.
09:16 AM on 06/19/07
ushredthecello
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
if you haven't heard them before, i'd recommend checking out their album Mignonette first
10:35 AM on 06/19/07
fantasma
doesn't understand
User Info.
Awesome band, awesome album.

and there from NC, which is great.
10:52 AM on 06/19/07
jimboj917
Jim!
User Info.
i really like this album, check it out. watch some live vids on youtube too, they've got a pretty cool set-up.
02:39 PM on 06/19/07
solargrrl
onegirlarmy, bitches.
User Info.
if you haven't heard them before, i'd recommend checking out their album Mignonette first

I'm listening to Mignonette today, actually. :)

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos