AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: All of a Kind - 09.28.11

All of a Kind - 09.28.11

Interviewed by
All of a Kind - 09.28.11The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

All of a Kind

facebook.com/allofakind1
allofakind1.bandcamp.com

1. How did you get your band name?
I was listening to the radio one day with a friend and it was brought up in a certain context about the music we were listening to all sounding the same. We said it was all of the same kind and that every genre was starting to branch into top 40. Thus, All of a Kind became the band name.

2. How did this band get started?
I was in chemistry class in junior year of high school, there was a group of 4 kids, myself included. I had mentioned that I wrote lyrics and started to get back into it heavily, so those friends of mine became test subjects for them. Haha. I remember passing around a folder of lyrics and my friend Franco said to me, "dude do you have any music to these?" And I did have music to them in my head, but I was not the musician I am now (not saying I'm stellar at the moment) and I couldn't exactly bring these ideas to fruition. Franco was (and still is) an amazing guitarist, growing up on metal and always playing really technical stuff. So the band started with us two, but since then we had some kind of a falling out. The band is still a band live, but studio-wise, it's pretty much a solo project. I've gotten very comfortable with the songwriting/recording responsibility and I'm interested to see what kind of a name I can make for myself in that regard.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
I'll never forget the first time I listened to Fall Out Boy. Patrick Stump is definitely the musician that influenced me and my style the most. So much so that I get called out for it by friends. Haha. But that band, like most who grew up with them, were with me through some very tough times and they were there during the best of times as well. They always challenged the boundaries of their genre and made albums that could almost be mixtapes. I'm probably in the minority who's favorite album is Infinity On High, Folie a Deux being a close second. I love the maturation they endured. The break was for the best, and I'll be honest, if they don't get back together right away, that's fine. Lots of great music to look forward to.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
I would love to tour with FOB obviously, Panic! At the Disco, Motion City Soundtrack, The Cab, I'm pretty much cool with touring with anybody who's pleasant to be around. The past-band thing, I never really bothered to answer because that just creates more unreachable dreams in my head. There's enough of them in there haha.

5. Best food to eat on tour?
Let you know as soon as I go on tour. I would assume poptarts. Brown Sugar Cinnamon.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
I think that a lot of bands come out with an album in which the songs follow the same formula, thus creating one distinctive style throughout the entire album, so much so that albums sound like one continuous song. With the album I wrote, I feel like each of the songs sound very different from each other, yet could still be placed on the same album. It's almost a mixtape of sorts; what you get when you start off the album with "Rosas" is definitely not what happens in the next track "Inside Glass Minds." And by the time it's over, I'm shooting for 12 unique experiences. There's still the "All of a Kind energy" there, but I wanted to mix it up. I feel it makes things way more interesting that way.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
Granted he's an athlete, the dude that's having sex with Hope Solo. Never knew she was THAT good looking until she got on Dancing with the Stars. I'm sorry thats a horrible answer hahahah.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Definitely my mom and dad. I'm not about to be one of those kids bringing up daddy issues, but throughout my entire childhood I couldn't help but disobey him and "revolt" for lack of a better word. But I was in 7th grade and listening to too much Simple Plan at the time ("Perfect" had just come out and I was like "hey, this concept is vaguely familiar, so let's explore that some more!"). Hahaha. But no, as I get older I realize just how supportive he is. I turn 20 today and I hopefully have many more years of encouragement to look forward to from both him and my mom.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I would change the amount of risk that comes with being signed to a label at the moment. I feel as though artists get dropped as soon as something is deemed unsuccessful. And it's a shame because there is no doubt some great music out there that deserves to be given a chance. Labels want results too quickly, and sometimes the mainstream just doesn't catch on as quickly as the labels want. Granted, the lack of money is a huge problem, but nobody wants to take the risk anymore. Everybody wants guaranteed success.

10. Memorable tour experience?
Again, let you know as soon as I go on tour.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
AP.net keeps things relevant. There's a huge catalog of music that I feel is being forgotten and it's nice to see that it's alive and well in some places. The era of 2005 pop-punk is arguably my favorite in the past, and it's definitely nice to see people making a big deal out of the Starting Line playing shows in 2011 with All Time Low back in the summer. However, I've been very careful not to let nostalgia get in the way of things. Music is progression and it's nice to see AP.net progressing, too.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
As far as an original song goes, it was one that I wrote back when I was 16. It's called "Delivering God's Rejuvenation," which will be a bonus track to the album that just got made. To be honest with you, I'm still not so sure what the title was supposed to mean, but I always liked it for it's pick up and play vibe and I can always get into it and just play the song over and over again for like 15 minutes straight. But for a cover? That's a tough one. Probably "Sugar, We're Goin Down," again because of it's simplicity and how easy it is to jam and how easy it is to get a great sounding cover of it. It's just a lot of fun. I'm honestly not the best musician in the world and I can appreciate anything that's a jam without having to be so incredibly skilled.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
If you can believe this, I've never really been on an actual vacation. I've gone to visit grandparents in Florida, I've gone down to Atlantic City on numerous occasions, I went to Las Vegas when I was 6 (but lets face it, what is a 6-year-old going to do in Vegas?) So I can't really answer this properly...that answer does not sit well with me at all.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
A mixture of things. Definitely Bobby Darin's "Beyond the Sea"; I heard stories not too long ago that there's a tape of me singing that as a baby. Same with Lion King music. More than anything though, I'm a fan of video games, Nintendo specifically. So those soundtracks to old Zelda and Mario games are the ones that really bring me back. Any fans of orchestration, midi or live instruments, you know as well as I do that those scores are legendary.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Flight. Always enjoyed the idea of flying. Wrote the melody to "Storytime" around that feeling, actually.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
I don't speak much to save my voice. But otherwise, I do standard warmups and I just rest my eyes for a little while. I try not to get too winded.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
Lately, I'm more business oriented than people think. I think that the whole aspect of passion in music is a given. If this is not a passionate thing that you love to do, you simply don't do it. But artists need to stay alive and I'm looking for the best possible way to do so. It's friendly competition, it always is. But you can't let your guard down, you know?

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
The current state of radio is weird. There's a lot of house music intertwined with pop. Nearly everything has to have a solid beat to it, or else it just doesn't get as popular. I have no shame in saying that when I was in 3rd grade, my first two albums were Backstreet Boys Milennium and the Britney Spears' debut album. Britney Spears always had the best pop on the radio; she had her own style, at least. But now she even had to conform to this. It's just strange and like even Maroon 5 is doing it. The same band that did "Sunday Morning" and "This Love" made "Moves Like Jagger," which is a pretty good jam, don't get me wrong, but it's like I see exactly why they did it and the state of the radio is clearly in control of an artist's direction.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Depends. Mostly I wouldn't mind just relaxing, but lately I wanna get out of the house and just go places and do different things. I write, I work a lot, and I try to do as much promotion for this band and my job as I can. So whenever I actually do have free time, I just wanna relax with some people, watch some TV, play a good video game, granted I have the time to actually sink my teeth into it.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I used to be sorta good at impressions. Not celebrity impressions but impressions of the people around my life. I can beatbox pretty well too haha. It's something I've been practicing in case the time comes to use it haha.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests