Password

Album Review

Pat Maine - Night Time Medicine Album Cover

Pat Maine - Night Time Medicine

Reviewed by
Pat Maine - Night Time Medicine
Release Date: September 2, 2011
Record Company: Unsigned
I used to enjoy hip-hop, especially when I was younger. I realize now that’s due in part to the rawness it used to represent, and the heart-on-sleeve approach in its conception. What’s true today, though, is that mainstream hip-hop is hardly what it used to be. Over-production is part of it; meaningless, and shallow lyrics are another. Pat Maine’s brand of hip-hop, excellently displayed in his newest EP Night Time Medicine, is a return to that rawness, but most importantly, a return to emotion.

“Oldy But A Goodie” has a traditional feel to it, featuring some impressive female backing vocals and a smooth, guitar-fueled flow. “Wants Like Needs” is a high point, where Maine really lets his lyrics take the helm, featuring lines like “I need a situation where my house is insulated by my pipe dreams” and "The world doesn't owe me something but it doesn't owe me nothing". Add in a catchy chorus and you have a perfectly accessible and radio-friendly hip-hop song. “People I Claim” continues the retro-ish sound, sounding a little at times like a decent Atmosphere track, while maintaining a sense of originality.

Night Time Medicine is more than a solid listening experience; it’s a needed lesson on what hip-hop should be about. Regardless of whether or not Maine attracts a huge audience or not, his success lies in how well he reaches that audience, and Maine succeeds in every possible way. There are minimal flaws, of course, such as a somewhat monotonous feel after subsequent listens, but I always found myself coming back to the album after a couple of hours, ready for more.

If Pat Maine is the future of hip-hop, which I hope he is, then a bright future it is indeed.

8/10
This review is a user submitted review from Corey Hoffy. You can see all of Corey Hoffy's submitted reviews here.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version