Wondrous Oblivion.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
La Dispute never disappoint =)
09:16 AM on 10/04/11
Hindenburg
DIY Guy
User Info.
This album is absolutely incredible, La Dispute gets better with each release. Seeing them last week was such a moving experience, I knew when I saw them in a barn in small-town Indiana that they'd do amazing things.
09:27 AM on 10/04/11
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Excellent review for an excellent album.
09:38 AM on 10/04/11
CoheedForever
The Afterman
User Info.
Can't wait to hear this.
09:44 AM on 10/04/11
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
i really enjoy this album. and from what i read of the review, it seems like we feel similarly. I wish some of your sentences were easier to get/wade through, but i understand that this was all coming form a very emotional place. And far be it for me to knock anyone for doing that.

But I just think, in terms of this album, it elicits so many different emotions that you are overwhelmed at times. But it's in this way, where you have to go back in. Almost like you're building up a tolerance. And then once you can handle some of the terror and ferocity that's being unleashed, you can really go in and get what you're supposed to get. I've never really experienced that with an album before. And I don't mean to say that this is a "grower", because I hate that term. And also, because I knew I liked this immediately, even if I wasn't completely ready to process all of its intricacies.

So I guess what I'm saying is, I'm grateful for an album that expects something of me. And is unafraid to not be everything to all people. Where I liked Somewhere Between... a whole heck of a lot, this one just seems so much more lasting to me. IDK, that's clearly a statement I shouldn't be making because obviously it hasn't been that long.

But I like this record a lot. It's not my favorite of the year, nor will it be. It's just so unlike anything else I've connected with in a while. And i think that may be my favorite part. It's easy to get involved in genres too heavily, so it's nice to change it up with Wildlife. And it's even nicer to listen to something and feel like you are actually helping yourself instead of sitting stagnant.

BLAKE
09:46 AM on 10/04/11
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
User Info.
Great review. All the hype surrounding this band didn't talk me into listening to these guys but after reading that...I'm three tracks in and kicking myself for sleeping on these guys.
09:48 AM on 10/04/11
TooTallGrizzly
User Info.
Very powerful album. I absolutely love it.
09:49 AM on 10/04/11
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
User Info.
But I just think, in terms of this album, it elicits so many different emotions that you are overwhelmed at times. But it's in this way, where you have to go back in. Almost like you're building up a tolerance. And then once you can handle some of the terror and ferocity that's being unleashed, you can really go in and get what you're supposed to get. I've never really experienced that with an album before. And I don't mean to say that this is a "grower", because I hate that term. And also, because I knew I liked this immediately, even if I wasn't completely ready to process all of its intricacies.

Are you saying that it has layers? Like, it's something you can enjoy at face value but the more you dig in, the more you find/get out of it? I need to pick up a copy of this and sift through the lyrics...
10:07 AM on 10/04/11
stereokiller
Howdy.
User Info.
I'm just happy Hi Fi was quoted.
10:38 AM on 10/04/11
Whatareyoudylan
User Info.
Thank you for pointing out the Hear Hear IV thing, I was wondering if anyone else thought that as well. The first thing those songs reminded me of were the Spider interludes on Brother, Sister. This album is pretty great, I personally like the tracks that are less heavy.
10:58 AM on 10/04/11
Jaytothesyg
The Greatest Generation
User Info.
Wow, I don't know if anyone could honestly write a better review of this album....That was a really good read! And did the album complete and utter justice, You brought up things I hadn't noticed as well thank you!

This album is seriously so great and honestly the only complaint I have is the length (like you stated) It's just so emotinal and you seriously need to dedicate your full attention upon listening to get the full effect.

Also love that quote at the begining
11:17 AM on 10/04/11
theotheryabs
There's a Melody in Everything
User Info.
The record is just incredible. Possibly AOTY
11:29 AM on 10/04/11
_veges_
User Info.
The more I listen to it I realize that there are times that I actually feel afraid or in pain because of his storytelling, it's so powerful.

Also the band said on there website they'll be releasing "supplemental material" to the album soon so that should be very interesting.
12:00 PM on 10/04/11
lotusmilano
just follow your heart
User Info.
If you listen to this album from beginning to end with lyrics.. it's an experience. Any lyricist that can use words to evoke the feelings this album does has my utmost respect. Way to go guys.
12:01 PM on 10/04/11
nowFace
We paved the roads.
User Info.
I picked it up and the clerk told me it was the only cd they had in the store. The rest were all on vinyl, and I love that you compared it to Catch for us the Foxes. I had fleeting thoughts of that album while listening.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums