Password

Album Review

Echo The Sky - Echo The Sky Album Cover

Echo The Sky - Echo The Sky

Reviewed by
Echo The Sky - Echo The Sky
Release Date: May 8th, 2007
Record Label: None

Imagine this scene, I was walking back into a music venue after making a quick stop at a local 7-11. I had already missed half of their set because I had disregarded them as just another band, but that didn't matter. I literally sat in awe as I watched a band made up of only two members do what usually is done by four. My jaw was down for a good fifteen minutes before they finished up their set and packed up their equipment. As soon as they finished, I paced towards their merch table and bought myself a copy of Echo The Sky. The self-titled debut from Kansas City, Missouri's own Echo The Sky.

I took it home and gave it a few listens, and was impressed with some of the riffs that lead singer and guitarist Caleb Blacksher was able to dish out one handed while being able to play a keyboard at the same time. Then I listened more closely and I heard the fascinating drumming of Jesse Conlee. I did a little research and found out they had only been a band for about a year and originally was made up of three members, including a bassist, but he left the band to go on with his own musical endevears. I also found out that Blacksher produced the whole record himself.

Echo The Sky begins with "Burnt Us To The Ground", which is a great opener musically, yet lacking in the lyrics. You can tell from the get go that this bands' influences varies, and that they really put everything they had into this. Next, they tread on to different ground with a spacey rock ballad that just turns into into an ultimate slaughterfest solo. Then they slow it down again and turns into something you'd hear on a One Eleven Record sampler.

"Don't Go Back" is the first song that really brings the keyboard into persona, and really makes want to start yelling "where's Michelle Nolan, guys?" The further the album goes, the more you realize that this band is going somewhere with their sound, but they haven't quite made it there yet. "My Own Curse" almost sounds like something that would've came out of a hair metal band after it was no longer popular. But I really say that I dig the experimentation that comes out of some of the songs. This could probably be explained by the bands love for The Mars Volta.

All in All Echo The Sky is a decent record. The only thing that needs help is the lyrics. But I think once they start writing more, they will have found a niche that works for them. I will definitely say that they are an awesome live band, so that will help their cause in the long run. Watch out for these guys in the future, they can shred and drum like madmen.

For fans of: Circa Survive, Saosin, Straylight Run, This Day And Age, Rookie Of The Year.

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Burnt Us To The Ground
2. Soaring Nostalgia
3. Don't Go Back
4. A Cell Made Of Gold
5. Something New
6. My Own Curse
7. Anything For You
8. Hang Out Til We Die
9. Eventide
10. Me Against Myself
Produced by Caleb Blacksher

Echo The Sky is:
Caleb Blacksher - Vox/Guitar/Keyboard
Jesse Conlee - Drums/Percussion

Myspace

This review is a user submitted review from Nathan Lint. You can see all of Nathan Lint's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
07:34 AM on 06/21/07
imtimwhoareyou
Student, photographer, etc.
User Info.
While this is a really good review, I didn't really feel it. I went to their Myspace page immediately after reading: "For fans of: Circa Survive, Saosin, Straylight Run, This Day and Age, Rookie of the Year."

Unfortunately, being a huge fan of all of them but Saosin (they're okay), I didn't hear very much of a connection to them, though the keyboard reminded me a little of TDAA... Maybe it's his voice or something else, but something isn't doing it for me. It almost sounds like a young FOB... *shrugs*

Now don't get me wrong, it's incredibly amazing that they are this talented, but I was kind of disappointed hearing them after I read the "For fans of..."

Maybe I'm just picky?
12:01 PM on 06/21/07
Nathan Lint
That's the real joke
User Info.
Perhaps, but you have to remember that this is basing off live and off the cd. Plus you only got a taste of the album.
05:50 PM on 06/21/07
imtimwhoareyou
Student, photographer, etc.
User Info.
Perhaps, but you have to remember that this is basing off live and off the cd. Plus you only got a taste of the album.

Fair enough, I'll reserve judgment and abate my scrutiny for a later date, when I can hear more... I shall be patient.
11:19 AM on 10/12/07
roisterboy
roisterboy
User Info.
Great band. Great musicians. My old band opened for them once. Caleb is a sick guitar player!
12:51 AM on 06/08/08
+/-
User Info.
pretty sweet stuff. caleb used to be in gametime who were with takeover records before they broke up.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos