Password

Album Review

The Morning Light - The Sounds of Love EP Album Cover

The Morning Light - The Sounds of Love EP

Reviewed by
The Morning LightThe Sounds Of Love EP
Release Date: June 9th, 2007
Record Label: Unsigned
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Every year there's always the one release that comes out of nowhere and "wows" me. This year, that title belongs to The Morning Light's The Sounds Of Love. You may notice above this paragraph the word "unsigned" next to label. How that's possible? I have no idea. But if this band continues to make the music they are now, it won't stay that way for much longer.

The Sounds Of Love will catch your ears from beginning to end, starting with the wonderful acoustic opener “The Love.” This song is just merely an introduction for what's to come in the next five songs, and what's to come will surely have you impressed.

“You're Not Mine” is the song following and could be considered to have the most "rock" feel out of all the songs on the EP. Even though the lyrics may be something you would find featured in an away message of someone who's just been rejected by a girl they like ("You're not mine and I know it/But that night I couldn't hold it in/Because I feel just right when you're standing next to me"), it doesn't make me like it any less, because everything else up to the superb vocals make up for it.

Now for my favorite track, and what I can see being the fan favorite, as well as even the song playing on MTV is “Books And Letters.” Arguably the catchiest song on the release, which is something you'll find out come the second line of the first verse, this track has the ability to put you in a great mood regardless of how crappy your mood could have been before and it's safe to say it'll see the top the of the charts of my most played songs on my last.fm in no time.

Overall, this is a great debut from a band that's oozing with potential from every hole of their bodies, and may very well be a release that joins You, Me, And Everyone We Know's Party For The Grown And Sexy in terms of being played daily for a long time. Don't miss out on one of the most refreshing pop rock EPs released this year.

Recommended If You LikeAll Time Low, Brighten, The Dangerous Summer, Sherwood
Additional InformationMyspace; Order the EP

Track Listing
01. The Love
02. You're Not Mine
03. Safe Bet
04. Books And Letters
05. Clouds
06. The Sounds

Total run time: 20:30

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 25
06:18 AM on 06/21/07
thatwasamoment
RICH GANNON WAR WAGON
User Info.
I can totally imagine the chorus to "Books & Letters" during a love scene of The Real World or the ending of the song as the theme song to a show.
06:18 AM on 06/21/07
FeelLikeRain
Everything In Transit
User Info.
I have heard all songs bar "The Love" from this EP and I've found each and everyone equally as rewarding and enjoyable.

I really need to get a hold of it but the whole international shipping and pricing gets a tad annoying HA!

Great review all the same, thanks!
08:04 AM on 06/21/07
tm decomposer
KEMBA WALKER 4 PREZ!!
User Info.
I love this ep, however I think the demos are better. Nice review man
09:12 AM on 06/21/07
s12hm2n
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
yep. i would have liked to have heard what you thought about the sounds though.
09:52 AM on 06/21/07
aposniak
User Info.
i just picked up the EP at the all time low show last week and i am absolutely obsessed with it.
10:11 AM on 06/21/07
losethegirl
Super Hero In My World
User Info.
This is the perfect review!

These guys are some of the most talented, hardest working, and sweetest guys in the scene right now. Some of my friends and I made the almost 4 hour trek to Pittsburgh for the release show and it was absolutely worth it.

See them live.

Buy the EP.
12:27 PM on 06/21/07
Salomonbz90
Public Sphere>Special Interest
User Info.
Good review. I love this album. Up in my tops for the year
02:11 PM on 06/21/07
Branevember31
Eric
User Info.
i havent heard this yet, but i have their 3 song demo, and that was pretty good
02:54 PM on 06/21/07
Nth Degree
Love the Future
User Info.
I finally received their EP, today in the mail. Agree with the 'You're Not Mine" bit, about it being the most "rock". This will probably be my favorite EP of the year.
03:13 PM on 06/21/07
captainamazing4
@team_newton
User Info.
great review. i love books and letters :]
06:29 PM on 06/21/07
jacnrh
Let's Go Oakland
User Info.
Awesome review--pretty much sums up my feelings on this EP.
It's even better live, is the amazing thing.
Great guys, great songs. Can't wait until the LP comes out... whenever that will be.
08:39 PM on 06/21/07
imajerk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Awesome review--pretty much sums up my feelings on this EP.
It's even better live, is the amazing thing.
Great guys, great songs. Can't wait until the LP comes out... whenever that will be.

i heard from a friend that Matt Squire is doing their full length, with or without a label
10:27 PM on 06/21/07
losethegirl
Super Hero In My World
User Info.
i heard from a friend that Matt Squire is doing their full length, with our without a label

Wouldn't surprise me one bit, these guys are so insanely talented. I am sure if Squire thinks highly of them he would do it in a second. He has worked with All Time Low, Cute, and others they have toured with.
09:10 PM on 06/23/07
tacosforcharles
User Info.
Ordered this yesterday...from what I've heard it's really really good.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos