Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

Contest: blink-182 and My Chemical Romance

Posted by: Jason Tate (10/05/11)

It's contest time! One of the long-term goals of this website is to introduce you, the reader, to new music. We love it when you check out a new band we're posting about, reviewing, or you see a member talking about in the forums. That's one of the main reasons we do what we do. It was behind that motive that this website moved from being a fan site to a full-blown community. Now, the two bands we're running a contest for today (blink-182 and My Chemical Romance) don't really need any introduction. They're two of the biggest bands in our entire little ecosystem. However, they weren't always selling out stadiums. Back in the day ... they were small bands, just begging for fans to discover them. With that in mind - we came up with what we think is a cool way for users to win some pretty bad-ass prizes (deluxe merch packs, exclusive one of a kind items, etc.) from the Honda Civic Tour. What we want is for you to tell us how you first discovered blink-182 and/or My Chemical Romance. Think back to that first moment when you discovered the bands -- when you first heard their music and became a fan. That's the moment we're looking for. Got it? Now, head over to youtube and put up a quick video telling us all about it. The staff and bands will be checking these out - so give us the passionate version - the how, where, why and what it did for your life. Once you've got your video, come back here and post it in the replies of this news thread.* We want to see it!

To get you started we asked Mark Hoppus of Blink and Frank Iero of MCR to tell us how they first heard about and discovered the others band. We've got those videos in the replies for you to check out. And then we've got a bunch of videos from staff members as well ... because, we're music fans too.

Ok, enough from me ... let's get this going. I've gotta go record my video too!

* To do this, click the video icon () in a post and then paste the URL to your youtube video. Tada. If you don't have a video camera on your computer, we don't want you to miss out. You can do a text post if you'd like. But the more visuals you include (photos?) the more it will stick out for our judges!

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 410.
12:27 PM on 10/05/11
Jason Tate
User Info.

12:29 PM on 10/05/11
Jason Tate
User Info.

12:30 PM on 10/05/11
Jason Tate
User Info.

12:31 PM on 10/05/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
Eda's got an accent!

/I should shower before doing this I suppose.
12:32 PM on 10/05/11
popdisaster00
Two years is a long time to pretend
User Info.
Very cool. I'd love to take part, but I already won the tickets to the concert earlier last month. I shall let others win some stuff, too.

Fun fact: I grew up in Poway but moved to Minnesota in like '96 or something. It wasn't until a few years later than Blink became my favorite band and I found out that I had grown up really close to those dudes. Especially Tom - I believe he went to Poway HS and got kicked out?

Another fun fact: First time I saw MCR was them opening for Taking Back Sunday, FATA, and Recover in like 2003 or 2004? Everyone in the crowd was just standing with their arms folded. Crazy to see how they have blown up since that time.
Gaugzilla
and one head can never die
User Info.
That's Lu in the fourth video right? With the fedora?
Lueda Alia
User Info.
Eda's got an accent!

/I should shower before doing this I suppose.
I was going to reply to your email and say, "Cue all the 'She has an accent!' comments."
sjb2k1
User Info.
cannot participate but here's my $0.02:

blink: mtv and the radio played "what's my age again" and i thought it was the best thing ever
MCR: mtv and the radio played "i'm not okay" and i thought it was pretty good

not really a fan of MCR though
Lueda Alia
User Info.
That's Lu in the fourth video right? With the fedora?
Indeed.
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
Well I'm going to have to watch the staff and Mark/Frank ones at least
12:34 PM on 10/05/11
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
I didn't make a video because I suck, but I wanted to share my memory quickly. By happenstance, My Chemical Romance is the first band I ever saw perform live. At the age of 14, I went to go see The Used and Thrice for my first concert ever on April 18, 2003 (I Googled it) at Lupos in Providence, RI. Story of the Year - before the were signed - opened the show but we got there late when My Chem was playing. I've probably seen a thousand bands since then, but I'll never forget my first.
12:34 PM on 10/05/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
I was going to reply to your email and say, "Cue all the 'She has an accent!' comments."
Hahahaa.

I was about to record mine -- and then I figured I should probably shave and shower first. I look like a homeless man at the moment.
12:35 PM on 10/05/11
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
Blink 182 was first heard by me on TRL back in the 90s, the first memory is "All The Small Things" video, but very well could have heard "What's My Age Again" first.

MCR was "I'm Not OK" to which I went out and got the CD and loved it. Kinda fell off the MCR boat since then, but I'll always love that album at least
12:39 PM on 10/05/11
TomAce
Still Listens To Limbeck
User Info.
summer between 4th and 5th grade, 6th grader kid sitting next to me on the bus to ymca camp was listening to Dude Ranch, i thought he was really cool, so I bought Dude Ranch.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS