Username
Password
Streaming News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Streaming
Inside AP.net

Rdio Goes Free (So Sign Up)

Posted by: Jason Tate (10/06/11)
Rdio is now free. New Rdio users in the US can take advantage of many of our popular features for free, including streaming full songs without hearing a single ad -- a meter at the top of your profile will show you how much free music you have each month.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 35
12:06 PM on 10/06/11
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Excellent!
12:14 PM on 10/06/11
cubs223425
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Can anyone sum up what this is and why it's any better than using something like the last.fm scrobbler, which is also ad-free? I'm curious as to whether or not this is something worth abandoning a familiar platform over.
12:16 PM on 10/06/11
bNz719
Know more.
User Info.
Awesome. Stopped using this after Spotify opened up here. Might switch back.
12:17 PM on 10/06/11
tstick18
thanks, arthur.
User Info.
Nice! Maybe I can convince some of my friends to switch over from Spotify now.
12:19 PM on 10/06/11
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
Anyone want to do a simple Spotify vs Rdio breakdown?
12:24 PM on 10/06/11
NorthstarPark
Jiggin'
User Info.
Spotify didnt work for me (something about firewall) so I just joined Rdio....yay!
12:25 PM on 10/06/11
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
Is there anyway to tell how many free minutes you get a month?
12:31 PM on 10/06/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
Is there anyway to tell how many free minutes you get a month?
a meter at the top of your profile will show you how much free music you have each month.

I haven't seen it though.
12:35 PM on 10/06/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
Anyone want to do a simple Spotify vs Rdio breakdown?
Here's my pros and cons list:

Spotify is better if you want to send an album to a person -- their inbox feature is really cool. You can see a facebook friend, send them a song in their "inbox."

With Rdio you'd have to send a link a more traditional way -- it's not built in.

I think Rdio's interface is far, far, far better. It's more intuitive, and it let's you find and play full albums better. Spotify is better at just finding a song to play.

Rdio does not give you access to your local library in their web or desktop apps -- Spotify does. I find myself switching between rdio and iTunes during the day to play something I have on my hard drive and something I don't. Not that big a deal, but hopefully something that someone changes someday.

Rdio doesn't have any ads.

/my 2 cents.
12:40 PM on 10/06/11
Vince_Vega
...And The Battle Begun
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Canada is always left behind :(
12:40 PM on 10/06/11
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
a meter at the top of your profile will show you how much free music you have each month.

I haven't seen it though.
Haha, I know I see the meter. It unfortunately doesn't provide a number of minutes once you however over it.
12:41 PM on 10/06/11
seraph1214
Sing you to coma, so to speak.
User Info.
Very cool. Signing up now to try this out.
12:41 PM on 10/06/11
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.

Spotify is better if you want to send an album to a person -- their inbox feature is really cool. You can see a facebook friend, send them a song in their "inbox."

With Rdio you'd have to send a link a more traditional way -- it's not built in.

I think Rdio's interface is far, far, far better. It's more intuitive, and it let's you find and play full albums better. Spotify is better at just finding a song to play.

Rdio does not give you access to your local library in their web or desktop apps -- Spotify does. I find myself switching between rdio and iTunes during the day to play something I have on my hard drive and something I don't. Not that big a deal, but hopefully something that someone changes someday.

/my 2 cents.
Thanks. One thing that bugged me about Spotify is that importing my library looked really ugly, there were tons of doubles and didn't match with their system alot. Also, it kept crashing on me. I've stuck with iTunes mostly. Seeing that Rdio doesn't import my library, and is a different thing could be a benefit to me.
12:49 PM on 10/06/11
tstick18
thanks, arthur.
User Info.

/my 2 cents.
Haha dang, I had almost this exact same thing typed out. Completely agree with you. Spotify feels like the clunky Zune software I had when I was 15.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests