Username
Password
Drama News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Drama
Inside AP.net

Sound Fest Controversy Explained

Posted by: Dre Okorley (10/06/11)
The organizer of Sound Fest has issued a statement explaining its lack of success. The Seattle-based event concerned a number of big name punk bands not getting paid.
Quote"We didnít have enough cash to pay the bands. Its that simpleÖ. When we started putting this together we had our many doubts. We didnít know if we would be able to cover all of our expenses, but we were confident that people would turn out for our event. I know that sounds a bit naÔve and it definitely was on our part, but before we come off like a bunch of ignorant fools Iíd like to mention that we still took precautions and looked into loans, which we were able to get from some AMAZING individuals. The problem was that the loans werenít large enough. We tried getting bank loans, but no one was going to loan us money for a punk festival especially in this economy, and we tried every other route that we could think of to help us financially in case we didnít get the turnout we were looking for and on top of that many of our sponsors went from telling us that they would be giving us a large amount in sponsor dollars to a much smaller amount which put us in an even worse place as we had depended on that money."

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 53
04:13 PM on 10/06/11
Dre Okorley
User Info.
"We tried getting bank loans, but no one was going to loan us money..." I feel that should've been his red flag.
04:13 PM on 10/06/11
KingMax01
Theres no good in your eyes anymore
User Info.
That sucks for both the artists and the people that put it on, and are the artists still not getting paid?
04:16 PM on 10/06/11
tell that mick
@mickrouse
User Info.
Well then, prepare to go to court and pay up eventually. Wonder what the contracts for the artists look like.
04:19 PM on 10/06/11
richie
User Info.
If you ALREADY KNOW you're not gonna have enough money to cover all costs, then call it quits. Don't put the thing up and then WISH people will turn up and save your ass...
04:21 PM on 10/06/11
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
So, they fucked up at every turn.
njdevils327
You know Craigslist? That's my list
User Info.
"but we were confident that people would turn out for our event."

"We tried getting bank loans, but no one was going to loan us money for a punk festival especially in this economy"

Well no shit sherlock. You're just asking for this to happen to you then.
_veges_
User Info.
sucks for everyone
04:32 PM on 10/06/11
njdevils327
You know Craigslist? That's my list
User Info.
Also, I love when the promoters start bitching out the bands for not promoting the festival. That's your job. That's even your job TITLE! wow... haha
04:39 PM on 10/06/11
gold soundz
User Info.
This dude is such a joke
04:47 PM on 10/06/11
CastlesXClouds
Relax
User Info.
what the fuck were they thinking.
AP_Punk
Anarchist Cat Owner
User Info.
TheDillon
twitter.com/thedillon
User Info.
did any of you even read the full article? I feel bad for this guy. He's getting shit on when he's putting himself out in public saying he's going to pay them as soon as he can.

The fact that there were bands on the bill playing free shows less than an hour away from the venue is extremely messed up but I guess the guy should have put something in their contract about not playing shows that close.

Also, the thing about the band staying extra nights at their hotel, changing their flights etc, and leaving him with the bill... a ton of extra fee's that should've never been incurred. sucks.

sounds like a whole mess of an event to me but I don't think this guy should be the only one getting crap, the bands sound super sketchy as well...
04:56 PM on 10/06/11
Overpass
Registered Member
User Info.
I wonder if they could have pulled a Soundwave Revolution and just cancelled the festival, changed venues and lessened the number of bands...

Feeling a bit sorry for this guy, running a festival has to be some sort of logistical nightmare.
05:07 PM on 10/06/11
iAMhollyood315
Rest is for the dead
User Info.
if they were going to get any kind of bank loan, they would have to have put up collateral in event of a default. I doubt anyone would consider putting their house or car on the line for a "punk" festival.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests