Password

Album Review
Relient K - Is for Karaoke Album Cover

Relient K - Is for Karaoke

Reviewed by
Relient K - Is for Karaoke
Release Date: October 4, 2011
Record Label: Mono vs. Stereo Records
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
With its K Is for Karaoke project, Relient K has proven yet again that it can take something people normally might be neutral toward and turn it into something that they will love. As controversial as this may be to bring up at the beginning of this review, I assure readers I don’t mean anything negative when I say most people don’t get excited about Christian bands. Now, I barely associate Relient K as a Christian band anymore – they have, for a long time now, been identified for writing really, really good pop songs – but this K Is for Karaoke release provides for an interesting parallel. Usually, a band’s fans won’t get stoked on an album of covers songs, but Relient K, and specifically versatile vocalist Matt Thiessen, pulls it off marvelously.

The first EP, released in June, contained the first seven covers present on the full-length release, titled Is for Karaoke. The 14-track full-length, for the purposes of clarity, will be what this review focuses on. The standouts from the first seven tracks were the pop sensations, “Girls Just Want to Have Fun” by Cyndi Lauper, and “Baby” by Justin Bieber. These two tracks are fun listens, as Thiessen’s pure vocals are great to hear singing these tracks. “Baby” has a hook that I’m sure every pop-punk fan has deemed a guilty pleasure at some point, and Relient K makes it okay to sing along.

“Everybody Wants to Rule the World” (Tears for Fears) is another highlight here, but when it comes to a covers record, the highlights are usually dependent on the listener’s personal relationship with the original songs. The Tears for Fears is one that reminds me heavily of when I was younger and my parents would play that song in that car all the time, and a similar relationship exists for the phenomenal rendition of The Wallflowers’ “One Headlight.” In fact, the rock covers are surprisingly some of the best on Is for Karaoke. Thiessen owns Tom Petty’s “Here Comes My Girl” and Stone Temple Pilots’ “Interstate Love Song.” His best vocal performance, however, might be reserved for Toto’s “Africa.”

The Third Eye Blind cover of “Motorcycle Drive By” will certainly be a favorite among readers of this website, but Weezer’s “Surf Wax America” likely won’t be far behind. In the end, there isn’t much to complain about with Relient K’s Is for Karaoke. It’s a covers record – expectations are already neutral or lower than normal – and the band knocks it out of the park, giving listeners at least a handful of songs they can return to several times. Hearing Thiessen belt out the last chorus of “Baby” should be more than enough for the Relient K faithful until their next “real” release.

8/10

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 49
11:50 PM on 10/09/11
Cody Nelson
Your mouth to God's south.
User Info.
So many of these are just blah. Not good, not bad, just blah. No original spin on them, just boring covers. I'll always love Relient K, I just expect more.
12:03 AM on 10/10/11
RyanFTW
ATTACK POP PUNK
User Info.
Every one of these songs is Karaoke Dynamite.
12:06 AM on 10/10/11
fna4
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I've yet to find a covers record worth buying but I'll give this a shot. Haven't been too impressed with the couple songs I've heard thus far.
12:49 AM on 10/10/11
Ron57
Donuts R Us
User Info.
^^ wtf?

Yeah, this album is okay. Not great. But decent.
Also, the cover of One Headlight is my least favorite on the album. Changed it too much, lost it's charm.
12:54 AM on 10/10/11
cereal4life
User Info.
spyder ski jackets sale Sweden, a prosecutor said Wednesday that he intends to investigate this year's Nobel laureate in literature, the Swedish poet Thomas Maitland Sitelemo winning name was leaked before the rumors.
cheap spyder ski jackets Alf Johansson anti-corruption prosecutor, said he is investigating, so why is Portland Steller silent out of odds in winning awards for several hours before the announcement of a sudden change from 13 to 2 to 1.
Bet registered broker agency staff Sophia Haight Berry said that this fast-changing odds "unprecedented."
spyder suits Johansson stressed that this is not a formal investigation, "we just want to clarify the situation." According to him, the survey stakes from the Swedish Academy, the operation and data recording to start.
spyder gloves Faculty members of the Per Westerberg told Swedish news agency reporter, he does not believe in the name of Portland awards Steller silent before the announcement was leaked.
Portland Støre silent now 80 years old, is the eighth Nobel Prize for Literature in Sweden, since 1974 is the first Swede to receive this award.
http://www.spiderskisale.com/
Quoted for truth.
12:59 AM on 10/10/11
DandonTRJ
~~~ヾ(^∇^
User Info.
spyder ski jackets sale Sweden, a prosecutor said Wednesday that he intends to investigate this year's Nobel laureate in literature, the Swedish poet Thomas Maitland Sitelemo winning name was leaked before the rumors.
cheap spyder ski jackets Alf Johansson anti-corruption prosecutor, said he is investigating, so why is Portland Steller silent out of odds in winning awards for several hours before the announcement of a sudden change from 13 to 2 to 1.
Bet registered broker agency staff Sophia Haight Berry said that this fast-changing odds "unprecedented."
spyder suits Johansson stressed that this is not a formal investigation, "we just want to clarify the situation." According to him, the survey stakes from the Swedish Academy, the operation and data recording to start.
spyder gloves Faculty members of the Per Westerberg told Swedish news agency reporter, he does not believe in the name of Portland awards Steller silent before the announcement was leaked.
Portland Støre silent now 80 years old, is the eighth Nobel Prize for Literature in Sweden, since 1974 is the first Swede to receive this award.
http://www.spiderskisale.com/
It's like Horse_ebooks for ski equipment.
01:26 AM on 10/10/11
cubs223425
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I've not listened to this, and I probably won't. Honestly, I would hope for better/more popular song choices. Most are fringe-memorable ("Everybody Wants to Rule the World) or just annoying ("Baby," "Girls Just Want To Have Fun").

There are a lot (maybe half) that I haven't even heard of, and, "Surf Wax America," is the only one I was kind of intrigued by, since I owned that album of Weezer's.
01:32 AM on 10/10/11
Feeling_This
User Info.
I've always meant to check out these guys where would be a good place to start?
03:57 AM on 10/10/11
thepianominstre
@joshuahedlund
User Info.
I've always meant to check out these guys where would be a good place to start?
MMHMM.
03:59 AM on 10/10/11
thepianominstre
@joshuahedlund
User Info.
I own all of their full-lengths and they've grown up with me but now that I have bills to pay and I don't just buy every single album I want anymore I'm not sure that these covers are interesting enough to me to buy it.. even though they're well-done and I love Relient K and all that. Maybe I'll just buy a couple like "Africa" from iTunes. I'll still jump on the next original full-length no question, though.
04:50 AM on 10/10/11
Jaimehere
Support local music!
User Info.
The Chicago cover was magnificent, that and Baby were the best IMO
05:36 AM on 10/10/11
providence36
generator ^ first floor
User Info.
lol 80%
05:40 AM on 10/10/11
mms13
should i say something sensational?
User Info.
So many of these are just blah. Not good, not bad, just blah. No original spin on them, just boring covers. I'll always love Relient K, I just expect more.
That's how I feel. I thought they we're great covers - but that's because they recorded it so they sound exactly like the originals. It's when bands put a unique twist on a cover song that they really shine.
06:01 AM on 10/10/11
cwhit412
User Info.
YOU SPELLED BIEBER WRONG GOSH.

x

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT