Password

Album Review

The Oh Story! - Good Morning Illumination Album Cover

The Oh Story! - Good Morning Illumination

Reviewed by
Oh, The Story - Good Morning Illumiation
Release Date: May 25, 2007
Record Label: Unsigned

As everyone knows, Absolutepunk.net posts news, reviews, interviews, and everything else. While I was recently reading a review on The Late Night - I Said Goddamn (great album and great review), I stumbled into a conversation about Towson becoming the next Chicago with bands like All Time Low, The Dangerous Summer, The Apathy Eulogy calling it home. While reading many posts, listening to at least 10 myspace pages; I came across a band called Oh, The Story!

While listening to their myspace and purevolume pages, I was instantly enjoying what I heard. Then I came across the "Our Mailbox June 18th (Week Prior)" listing (here on AP.net) and saw that Oh, The Story's debut release Good Morning Illumination. An unsigned act like this wasn't getting much push for a review from the Our Mailbox post. So, after many obstacles and talks I finally got my ears (and hands) on the album..

This six piece band had me hooked from beginning to end. Like many records the album starts off with an intro, in this case "The Overture." Just a mix of acoustics and some catchy techno keys that lead into the song "I Am" - a song where vocalist James Larson belts out "let me catch my breath, I let my heart outrun my head." That line is worth getting stuck in your head for a good week.

"Come Hell Or High Water" keeps your ears locked and loaded to the stereo. With talking of demons and sinners, it sounds like a Fall of Troy song. The song "Sin, Repent, Repeat" is one song that sticks out more than all the others. Through this song, and many others; James Larson reminds me of a Corey Warning of The Graduate.

The next couple songs contain a softer side of Oh, The Story! With the noise in "Room and Board", it is an instant go to sleep song. Not a boring song, just a simply, deep hearted, piano cliche with very soft melodical vocals. The rest of the album has many highs, and hardly any lows. Ending this album, "It's Not An Ending At All..." starts off with some slow piano and acoustic. This song talks about how this man misses his girlfriend, who seems to be cheating on him. After that, the emotions get deeper as there are violins and chorus sing along to "Oh my love tonight you're living and listening, you're sleeping with another and you're wishing it was me" and with James spurting out "I'm Coming Home" to end this stellar album.

Overall, I had such a high anticipation for this album after hearing what I heard on the internet. Good Morning Illumination did not disappoint me at all. With sounds ranging from The Graduate, Morning for The Masses, and The Audition.

Maybe AP user "evilandgood" was right about Towson, Maryland turning into the next Chicago. Oh, The Story! has a full world of potential. With the talents this kids hold, its no doubt I cannot wait for another release. Just sit back one day and give this a listen. This record isn't a push to the side album like many pop-punk releases this year. For me to you, this is one album you have to listen to.

Recommend if you enjoy: The Graduate, Morning For The Masses, The Audition, The Matches, or a fun car ride

Track Listing
1 The Overture
2 I Am
3 Come Hell Or High Water
4 Sin, Repent, Repeat
5 The Good Doctor
6 Waking Up
7 Room & Board
8 All Seven Seas
9 Where There's Smoke There's Fire
10 Denouement
11. It's Not An Ending At All...

Myspace
l Purevolume l Buy Good Morning Illumination or Cd Baby
This review is a user submitted review from tm decomposer. You can see all of tm decomposer's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
01:46 PM on 10/18/07
SAOsurviveSTD
User Info.
if you're in to this band, check out the singer and some of the other member former band Burning Rosewoof (purevolume.com/burningrosewood) delightful pop punk with an edge. similar to Just Surrenders first album.
06:17 PM on 06/04/08
smilebehind
User Info.
love em<3

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News