Username
Password
The Gaslight Anthem News - Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 94.
02:54 PM on 10/13/11
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.
As a huge Gaslight fan who OWNS their whole discography and couldn't have more respect for Fallon as a person / songwriter - I'm torn between whether I respect him for speaking out against leaks and possibly helping out other bands / labels or if I wish he'd not have to make a huge deal out it every time there's a leak. Sure the circumstances surrounding the leak of American Slang and "Mary Ann" were a little unusual, but still....

Either way, I didn't even know this leaked and I've already preordered it so I guess I'm just excited that I get it a month and a half early
02:57 PM on 10/13/11
PigDestroyer
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
You forgot that I am talking about the diehard fans.
you're right, "die hard" fans NEVER download music without purchasing it later...
03:10 PM on 10/13/11
Tim McCall
TBD
User Info.
you're right, "die hard" fans NEVER download music without purchasing it later...
Good conversation guys, (Jason, prefix-core? and PigDestroyer). I am done and walking away to go see Ghostbusters.
03:14 PM on 10/13/11
cmcginn
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Yeah, I am not really sure why people are giving TGA a hard time for being upset. Like someone said, it is not like they are complaining about money or loss thereof, just that it was leaked early, and as creators of art, they are aloud to say when people can digest it. With the leak and forced early release, comes the inability to fully promote it or stream it as effectively online (like they are doing on RS right now), offer free downloads with a pre-order for any decent amount of time (to help people buy early). Maybe they needed more time to master (?), or maybe there was no reason at all but it was going to be their choice.

I love Daytrotter, but these sessions are much different and are actually mastered. It includes never before recorded stuff and new songs and is a truly special release. When Apple gets their products leaked, they literally have doors taken down by police ... so I think TGA can show they are annoyed a bit.

That being said, as a pre-order-er, I was sad I had to wait so long to hear all of the tracks, so the early release benefits me a ton. I am hoping for a physical release at some point!
03:25 PM on 10/13/11
TragedyofMariam
myspace.com/thetragedyofmariam
User Info.
The quality of these songs, and the production value behind them, compared to what Daytrotter does is like apples and oranges. And I love Daytrotter sessions.
no pun intended
03:30 PM on 10/13/11
Gaugzilla
and one head can never die
User Info.
I feel for them, having their art being available for free before they intended. As sad as it is, it is inevitable. It happens to everybody. I don't believe this is the first time that they have been openly upset about this happening to them. It just seems a little immature to complain publicly about this multiple times. I still respect them as musicians though, and will do what I can to support them.

They're upset because a digital copy of a digital album got out. Unlike with "Watch the Throne," which was kept off of the Interwebs until its iTunes launch, there's no reason this should leak as early as it did. It's their right to complain.
03:35 PM on 10/13/11
kidinthebushes
User Info.
The saddest part about this story is that this is their last release on SoD.
03:58 PM on 10/13/11
SomedayTheFire
when I die there'll be no trumpets
User Info.
How do iTunes Sessions even leak?
04:19 PM on 10/13/11
andthetruthwill
You keep company with wolves.
User Info.
I wish the Gaslight peoples would be happy that some people care about listening to them, rather than putting forth this annoyed attitude that seems to happen often with them. Once the music is made, it is no longer yours. It is anyone's to do as they wish with. That being said, this has happened more than once from them, they haven't learned. So they shouldn't complain about it. It's their fault that way.
04:31 PM on 10/13/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
I wish the Gaslight peoples would be happy that some people care about listening to them, rather than putting forth this annoyed attitude that seems to happen often with them. Once the music is made, it is no longer yours. It is anyone's to do as they wish with. That being said, this has happened more than once from them, they haven't learned. So they shouldn't complain about it. It's their fault that way.
What a ridiculously selfish attitude.

"Once the music is made, it is no longer yours. It is anyone's to do as they wish with."

Wow.
04:46 PM on 10/13/11
andthetruthwill
User Info.
What a ridiculously selfish attitude.

"Once the music is made, it is no longer yours. It is anyone's to do as they wish with."

Wow.
I have a completely unselfish attitude when it comes to the music I listen to and care about. Once it's made, unless you lock it down in your house in a vault somewhere, or take the proper precautions that the Gaslight peoples are so forth incapable of, it belongs to the world. Artists will say words similar to mine often. The repeated Gaslight related leaks and the complaints about it remind of when Metallica was combating the internet and being crybabies. Leaks can be prevented. That has been proven. Gaslight needs to stop complaining and put in the extra work and revamp their strategy and prevent it next time. If they don't, just as in this time, there should be no whining like the first sentence of that paragraph.
04:54 PM on 10/13/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
I have a completely unselfish attitude when it comes to the music I listen to and care about. Once it's made, unless you lock it down in your house in a vault somewhere, or take the proper precautions that the Gaslight peoples are so forth incapable of, it belongs to the world. Artists will say words similar to mine often. The repeated Gaslight related leaks and the complaints about it remind of when Metallica was combating the internet and being crybabies. Leaks can be prevented. That has been proven. Gaslight needs to stop complaining and put in the extra work and revamp their strategy and prevent it next time. If they don't, just as in this time, there should be no whining like the first sentence of that paragraph.
Your words don't mesh with your claim of unselfishness. It does not belong to the world any more than a car sitting on a dealer's lot belongs to the world. Just because you can get something for free - doesn't all of a sudden mean it is free. It's still the artists' work. They should have a say in when, and how, that work is seen. That's their right. If they want to support it being free, that's their right as well. If they want it to be released on a release date in a particular format ... that should be their right. If that right is taken from them - they can be justifiably upset.

Metallica sued people. We can argue the merits of doing that until we're blue in the face -- but it's a completely different discussion. And the band being upset that they trusted someone to not release their music early, and that trust was broken, has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Leaks aren't prevented, they're only delayed. And given that this was an iTunes related release -- they have to give the music to another entity at some point. They probably had no say in when that had to occur. You act like you know what you're talking about ... but if you did -- you'd be working for a label preventing leaks with all your secret strategy. Instead you're effectively blaming the victim. Stay classy.
04:56 PM on 10/13/11
ProGlynn
Running out of time...
User Info.
It sucks that people leak things to the public, however, steps can be taken to prevent it. Regardless, Brian Fallon is still a god.
04:59 PM on 10/13/11
andthetruthwill
User Info.
Your words don't mesh with your claim of unselfishness. It does not belong to the world any more than a car sitting on a dealer's lot belongs to the world. Just because you can get something for free - doesn't all of a sudden mean it is free. It's still the artists' work. They should have a say in when, and how, that work is seen. That's their right. If they want to support it being free, that's their right as well. If they want it to be released on a release date in a particular format ... that should be their right. If that right is taken from them - they can be justifiably upset.

Metallica sued people. We can argue the merits of doing that until we're blue in the face -- but it's a completely different discussion. And the band being upset that they trusted someone to not release their music early, and that trust was broken, has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Leaks aren't prevented, they're only delayed. And given that this was an iTunes related release -- they have to give the music to another entity at some point. They probably had no say in when that had to occur. You act like you know what you're talking about ... but if you did -- you'd be working for a label preventing leaks with all your secret strategy. Instead you're effectively blaming the victim. Stay classy.
I would never want to prevent leaks. I think they are an amazing thing. Without the internet and being able to download, I would miss out on so much. It's a fortunate thing. The Metallica issue wasn't the same, but the attitude is similar. We just disagree on this point of music being available for everyone instead of only the wealthy, just as we always have.
05:02 PM on 10/13/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
I would never want to prevent leaks. I think they are an amazing thing. Without the internet and being able to download, I would miss out on so much. It's a fortunate thing. The Metallica issue wasn't the same, but the attitude is similar. We just disagree on this point of music being available for everyone instead of only the wealthy, just as we always have.
That argument no longer works.

Music is available to everyone. Spotify, Rdio, and MOG are all completely free.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS