AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Sugar Red Drive - 10.05.11

Sugar Red Drive - 10.05.11

Interviewed by
Sugar Red Drive - 10.05.11The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Sugar Red Drive

(questions answered by Dave Alexander)
http://www.myspace.com/sugarreddrive

1. How did you get your band name?
Here's the truth: When our old singer left and Archie came to us, our sound completely changed. So we though "Well, we sound like a different band so we gotta change our name." We couldn't think of a cool one for the longest time until Archie came up with Sugar Red Drive. We were okay with it, but we said we'd come up with something better but then it just stuck.

2. How did this band get started?
What a story. I'll start from the beginning and whoever is reading, I'm sorry for the long story. It started with PJ and I jamming back in the day with our old guitarist/singer. We did that for a few years but we needed another guitar player so we found Jimmy. Now we were a full band, hooray. Then, our singer has some issues with our direction so he quit and joined the Reserves. Now we're out of luck and pissed BUT we found Arch through the musicians wanted section in myspace. We had him audition and, clearly, it worked out.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

Oh, man. Its so hard to say because I like SO many bands and you don't really hear it in our music (which is odd but... whatever). I love Tool, A Perfect Circle, Alice in Chains, Chevelle, The Acacia Strain, Ion Dissonance, STP, Carnifex, etc. It's weird, I know.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?

I would love to tour with Stone Temple Pilots, Alice in Chains, 10 Years. Awesome bands and awesome following.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
I would be a wolf. They're like the ninjas of the wild. FYI: you don't mess around with wild ninjas.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
You should listen to us because our music is real. We're a bunch of nice, crazy guys who love what we do. If you want music that will amp you up and want some sweet driving music, then you should listen to my band or come out to the shows or BOTH. Immediately.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
I would like to say "Jaded" or "Coming Down" for a few reasons. Both of those solos are a little on the difficult side which will make the expert mode more challenging. The other reason is that both songs are fun to play for us and we'd like anyone out there to experience it.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
I would thank my parents, my team, coffee, and my fans. I would like to thank everyone who has doubted me and told me I wouldn't make it, but that'd come off a little jerk-ish, right?

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I would develop a different model for selling physical CDs. No one buys the actual albums anymore, it's mostly downloads. Seems to me that its a waste of material when everyone just downloads the album online. I mean, it's great to have the physical album in your hand but I wish there was a different way going about it.

10. Memorable tour experience?
That's a sore, unpleasant, inspirational, and weird one for me. While we were on our first tour, we were traveling to Michigan to one of our last shows. It was about 10 hours to get there and load-in was at 12, so we had to haul ass to get there. We got pretty close but our tour manager fell asleep at the wheel and flipped our van and trailer over. Everyone was uninjured, except for me. I was sleeping in the back and my arm got caught under the wreckage, crushing my left arm. I got rushed to the nearest trauma hospital and spend 8 hours in surgery. When I woke up, my doctor came in and told me my recovery was going to take 9 months until I can properly play again. I was crushed, no pun intended, but I didn't let that get to me. I did my own physical therapy to get my arm better and I was up and recording in 2 months. Just goes to show you that you can accomplish anything if you put your mind to it, no matter how hard the challenge is.

On a side note, the scar on my arm looks like our insignia, which is really weird but cool, nonetheless.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
Its a great source to find out about upcoming events in the rock world or even great interviews with bands you like. :D

12. What is your favorite song to play?
As of right now, "Pretty Little Lady" is MY favorite. Its really fun to play on bass and has an excellent drive to it. The crowd seems to get into it, too.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

I'd love to go back to Sicily. I had such a blast there when I was there and ate excellent food. Not to mention my cousins are awesome.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
That would be Tool. I grew up on hearing that and every time I play it on my car stereo, I can't help but to jam out like I'm 8 years old again (AKA spazzing out in my car). Not the safest thing to do, but... I live in New York and everyone is used to bad drivers.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Wow. I used to spend NIGHTS thinking about this. If I had any super powers, it would be to manipulate time but it wouldn't affect my aging process, maybe even prolong it. Think about it, you can do anything and change anything you want, like go back in time and stop the Blitzkrieg or evacuate Pompeii before the volcano erupts, or stop time and rob a bank, or even go into the future and tap yourself on the shoulder and disappear. Unfortunately, having this power makes you God and can really screw up the time line but I guess that's the excitement of it; not knowing what CAN happen and maybe even understand time better. I'm a freak like that.

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
Not at all. Maybe we look cool in our town but on the big scale, we're just infants. We have a lot of work ahead of us and we're okay with it, in fact we CRAVE it. We love to tour and interact with fans and we cannot wait to see what the future holds for us.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

I really hate blueberries. With a passion. I'm not a picky eater but I refuse to eat them. I just have this hate for them. Don't dig the taste, man.

18. What's your favorite holiday?
Halloween. You get free candy, you wear crazy costumes, you go to crazy parties, and everyone goes nuts on it. Its the one day out of the year that everyone is allowed to go nuts and party. They should just rename it "Super Crazy Happy Fun Time Day". Doesn't really roll off the tongue, though.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I love to play video games, hang out with my friends, jam out and make silly songs, cook, bike riding, getting lost on purpose, mini golfing, and go to the gym.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I can make a mean pizza. Spent a year working at a pizzeria and I've picked up a few things there. I also have an unnatural talent to rock at video games. Its weird...I just get them.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests