AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Ruiner - Prepare To Be Let Down Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.75
Musicianship 7.75
Lyrics 10
Production 8.25
Creativity 6.75
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 83%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 9
Production 8
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 9
Average: 85%

Ruiner - Prepare To Be Let Down

Reviewed by: Blake Solomon (06/26/07)
RuinerPrepare To Be Let Down
Record Label: Bridge 9 Records
Release Date: June 19, 2007

Chances are, Ruiner hate me. I don’t necessarily look or act like a hardcore fan. In fact, in another life, I might just have been Dave Matthews' biggest fan. If I didn’t look so good in shirts with a small man and his horse over my left breast, things may have been different. Fashion aside, Prepare To Be Let Down is a fantastic dose of edgy, melodic, and heartfelt hardcore. If Ruiner sold those fake, water-based tattoos, I would easily place one around my prominent happy trail. Baby steps, Blake, baby steps.

My ego is too big for this, but I should just post all the lyrics from Prepare To Be Let Down to prove it’s superiority. Intensely personal and with a wit that keeps coming, Rob Sullivan’s lyrics are sensational. It’s hard to pick a few lines to highlight out of the many, but here’s a taste of what Sullivan brings to the table:

“Don’t tell me you're sorry because I’m pretty sure I promised myself I would never ever again believe a single thing you say. Seek your attention elsewhere tell him how many times someone stepped on your heart. Bu he’ll have to take a fucking number, because those eyes are an amazing thing. But who knows, on you, what’s even fucking real…”

“I’ve made choices - that have got me nowhere but back to where I started. This all may be a mistake, but what’s a few more. I’ve been told that I have baggage… well I’ve lived, loved, fucked and will die as young as I possibly can. But for right now I just can’t be alone.”

See what I mean? Essentially, Prepare To Be Let Down is about the moments we all go through and fear, yet still keep inside. We chalk them up to alcohol or bad luck. Most of all, we don’t write them down and release them. Maybe the pounding drums and screams and ripping guitars are Sullivan’s feeble attempt at privacy.

Overshadowing the instruments in a hardcore band is difficult to do, be sure about that, but the music should not be discounted. Ruiner fits and molds all aspects into one solid and thrashing statement. Closer, “Kiss That Motherfucker Good Night”, might be one of the hardest songs to get through this year. Trust me, it’s worth the struggle. No stone is left unturned in Sullivan’s life and the instruments prance the line between catchy and ear shattering. The quiet epilogue leaves ample time for reflection, for new beginnings.

Whether they’re rioting through 27-second “Bottom Line: Fuck You” or flirting with their version of a ballad (“When The Mourning Ends”), Ruiner pleases, triumphs, and affects. Prepare To Be Let Down didn’t save my life or anything quite so melodramatic, but it did make me view hardcore in a new way. This one will be hard to top.

Recommended If You Like: With Honor, Stick To Your Guns, blood red ink, Modern Life Is War, F***ing Emotion!

This ain't no LiveJournal!www.myspace.com/ruiner

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 27.
03:53 PM on 06/26/07
Mase714
Just a dab'll do ya
User Info.
Great review, I can't wait to check this cd out.
05:00 PM on 06/26/07
sputniksignals
On the turf since birth
User Info.
Hooray, Baltimore hardcore. Good review, good album
05:32 PM on 06/26/07
NerrWK
User Info.
One of the best modern day hardcore bands. period. :)
07:46 AM on 06/27/07
xjustinx
TEAM JESUS IS LOSING
User Info.
...blast beats?
07:52 AM on 06/27/07
btbam > you
IT'S TIME!
User Info.
Easily my favorite album of the year, though there are no blast beats on the album.
08:19 AM on 06/27/07
irthetyler
Coachillin'?
User Info.
Easily my favorite album of the year, though there are no blast beats on the album.

you are harboring a murderer in your avatar 5'5''!

ya, no blast beats here...good album, though.
08:21 AM on 06/27/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
One misused term, I apologize. Thanks for reading though.

edit: fixed it.
08:28 AM on 06/27/07
irthetyler
Coachillin'?
User Info.
One misused term, I apologize. Thanks for reading though.

edit: fixed it.

i like how varied all your reviews are, keep up the good work.
09:37 AM on 06/27/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.

I appreciate it dude. This is a diverse website and the reviewers as a whole are trying to allow more people to see their favorite records with some reviews/promotion. No matter what the genre.
10:09 AM on 06/27/07
Poochemist
Not that easy to confuse
User Info.
Thanks for reviewing this, Blake. I'll have to pick this up to remember how they sound.
11:55 AM on 06/27/07
btbam > you
IT'S TIME!
User Info.
Yea, this was a great review, minus the one term. Good job.
12:20 PM on 06/27/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
Yea, this was a great review, minus the one term. Good job.

haha, thanks. Writing for records like this is always hard because that dude does such a good job and I'm sitting here with my 3rd grade education grunting out noises that sound like "deep" and "conversational," but lack any intelligence.
01:05 PM on 06/27/07
Dan CiTi
To Let The World Be
User Info.

You suck.
01:06 PM on 06/27/07
irthetyler
Coachillin'?
User Info.

because i didnt upload bangarang! for you? go buy it.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS