AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Forrest Day - Forrest Day Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 9.25
Production 9
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 9.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 88%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 9.25
Production 8.75
Creativity 9.5
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9
Average: 89%

Forrest Day - Forrest Day

Reviewed by: Gregory Robson (10/16/11)
Forrest Day - Forrest Day
Record Label: Ninth Street Opus Records
Release Date: Oct. 11, 2011

Idiosyncratic. Original. Novel. Call it whatever you like, but let this be known: Bay Area musician Forrest Day is easily one of the most captivating individuals the cultural-rich locale has ever produced. Yes, ever. Throw him in the mix with RHCP, Sublime, Jane's Addiction and Green Day, this genre-bending wizard is something else altogether. Self described as indie-soul-experimental, Day is a musician with more swagger than most hip-hop artists and more melodic flair than most chart-toppers. There's a dash of reggae, jazz, rap and rock that is indubitably unique and nothing short of mesmerizing. On his eponymous 14-song album there's boat loads of bravado, bluster and brilliance. And hot damn is it something.

Whether its the hyper-kinetic "Meds," or the blistering "Everybody's F---- With My Mind," Day has a flair for the histrionic that borders on vaudevillian. Equal pats flamboyant, provocative and charismatic, there's something definitively captivating about every word. With a penchant for hip-hop, Day breezes through his verses with an uber-swift tongue and some of the year's wittiest rhymes.

Biting, sardonic, and brutally frank, he tackles personal calamity with some of the most refreshing songs released this year. On album opener "Sleepwalk," or the flagrant "River Rat," he blisters along at a pace that is dizzying, inviting and enveloping. On the swirly chamber pop piece "It's Just Me," he tackles conventional singing with aplomb. Truth be told, if there's any negative about Forrest Day, it's that he doesn't attempt to sing conventionally more regularly.

In the end, songs like the pensive "If You Do," the witty "Hoarders," and the cheeky "Assholes," tower above anything else in the singer-songwriter genre. Moreover, they announce the arrival of a rare and unshakeable new California talent. Laden with horns, organs, guitars and a dynamic rhythm section, Forrest Day oozes with a panache and polish not often seen from a relative unknown. If this is just the beginning, then Forrest Day's future is as bright as the California sun.

Recommended If You Like hip-hop, clever wordplay, social diatribes

Find Him Here http://www.forrestday.com.

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9
10:33 AM on 10/17/11
jdr277
I got a lion in my pocket I'm lying
User Info.
This stuff is awesome!
03:53 AM on 10/18/11
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
This stuff is awesome!
I know, and sadly you're the only person to think so.
09:25 AM on 10/18/11
jdr277
User Info.
This is the first time I've heard of this band. I'm not a huge fan of rap but these beats are really good, lyrics are witty, and his flow is sick. Reminds me of El-P or Flobots with a hint of sublime.
11:15 AM on 10/18/11
ksmitty1223
User Info.
Some seriously cool sounding music. Definitely will have to give it a full listen later today
06:43 AM on 10/19/11
derekrvr
Mr.DRM
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I like it. Almost gives me a patd feeling at time.
It's on sale for $6 on Amazon mp3.
07:25 AM on 10/21/11
RyanCT
Changin' strings, bangin' on things
User Info.
Thanks for this review. I checked out this band and was really impressed. very unique stuff and definitely worth a listen.
06:35 PM on 03/26/12
Twyker
Greyjoy
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Long time AP reader and I just had to register to agree with you all.

Totally hits the zeitgeist!

A M A Z I N G album, love it!
11:10 PM on 09/20/13
jdr277
User Info.
Dude Review Forrest Day - The Second please!! Guy deserves some much needed attention. He should be huge on here and sadly I didn't even know he released a sophomore album till this week I'm like 3 months late AP.net should have gotten on that. Right a review and show these kids who's killing it in the Rap/Rock/Ska/Ballad/Fat Ginger genre!!
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests