Username
Password
Legal News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Legal
Inside AP.net

Different Strokes For The Throne

Posted by: Dre Okorley (10/18/11)
Syl Johnson has sued Kanye West and Jay-Z for sampling his song "Different Strokes", which he claims wasn't cleared for use on their track "The Joy".

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 30
10:01 AM on 10/18/11
PandaBear!
\m/ (-.-) \m/
User Info.
didn't that guy once sue his own lawyers when he lost a case? What a douche...
10:05 AM on 10/18/11
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Who produced this one? Pete Rock? Either way, he has a right to sue. If you use samples there is some commom sense involved - especially if it's one of the biggest hip-hop releases of the year. Wouldn't be surprised if there are other cases brought against the album.
10:08 AM on 10/18/11
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
Who produced this one? Pete Rock? Either way, he has a right to sue. If you use samples there is some commom sense involved - especially if it's one of the biggest hip-hop releases of the year. Wouldn't be surprised if there are other cases brought against the album.
Quote:
Johnson has pursued previous legal action against rappers. His $29 million lawsuit against Cypress Hill was dismissed in 2008 on the technicality that sound recordings made before February 15, 1972 are not subject to copyright protection under the Copyright Act.

Quote:
1967 "Different Strokes" (Twilight) #17 R&B

Looks like this one will have the same problem.
10:09 AM on 10/18/11
Dre Okorley
User Info.
^Yeah, I noticed that. Not sure why he's doing this/what he expects the outcome to be.
10:26 AM on 10/18/11
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Looks like this one will have the same problem.

Publicity it is. I thought copyright on songs was 50 years but I believe it may be different if said artist is still alive also. Who knows. He's making headlines though....
10:27 AM on 10/18/11
InTheatersNow
Suck My Balls
User Info.
Johnson has pursued previous legal action against rappers. His $29 million lawsuit against Cypress Hill was dismissed in 2008 on the technicality that sound recordings made before February 15, 1972 are not subject to copyright protection under the Copyright Act. The singer sued his legal team for malpractice after the ruling was upheld by the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals earlier this year.

Sounds like this dude is just being a bitch.
10:38 AM on 10/18/11
Rob McWilliams
Eat your salad, no dessert
User Info.
If at first you don't succeed...
10:52 AM on 10/18/11
|adr3naLine|
Straight outa Compton!
User Info.
let's thank Flux Pavilion for his sample in "Can't Stop Us Now"...because Jay and Yeezy didn't.
11:07 AM on 10/18/11
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Johnson has pursued previous legal action against rappers. His $29 million lawsuit against Cypress Hill was dismissed in 2008 on the technicality that sound recordings made before February 15, 1972 are not subject to copyright protection under the Copyright Act. The singer sued his legal team for malpractice after the ruling was upheld by the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals earlier this year.

He's not a bitch, this is nothing new.
12:17 PM on 10/18/11
jeremyc
it was my only wish to rise
User Info.
Looks like he needs some source of income. If that weren't the case, then I'd be honored to have such amazing people sample my music.
12:28 PM on 10/18/11
re7ard1337
You don't mean a thing to me.
User Info.
I can't imagine the guys producing an album for Jay Z and Kanye to make a legal mistake. This guy is gonna get owned.
12:42 PM on 10/18/11
PntsoffDnceoff
User Info.

Yeah...this dude is a bitch.
01:41 PM on 10/18/11
UnderMyDreams
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Yeah...this dude is a bitch.

Because he wants what rightfully should be his? You'd be pissed too if you wrote a song, someone stole a piece of it, and then was making tons of money with it and you don't get anything...

The article says the song was supposed to be on My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy as a bonus track, but they didn't have legal permission to use the samples.
02:05 PM on 10/18/11
InTheatersNow
Suck My Balls
User Info.
Here's why he is a bitch:

Around the mid-1980s, Johnson started a fast-food fish restaurant business, and became semi-retired from performing, only making occasional appearances at blues club gigs.[1]
In 1992, Johnson found out that his song "Different Strokes" had been sampled by number of rappers including Wu-Tang Clan, Public Enemy, Kool G Rap, Hammer, and the Geto Boys. Stimulated by this fact, he decided to make a comeback in the music industry.[1] In 1994, he released the album Back in the Game on Delmark Records. The album featured the Hi rhythm section and his youngest daughter Syleena Johnson.

The dude retired and then because people were sampling his shit he decides to make a come back. If anything he owes the artists that are introducing his music to a new generation of fans some gratitude. If it wasn't for the "thieves" he would still be running a fast food joint.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests