Password

Album Review

This Time Next Year - A Place For You Album Cover

This Time Next Year - A Place For You

Reviewed by
This Time Next Year - A Place For You
Label: Escapist Records
Release Date: June 19, 2007

First of all, I would like to thank New Found Glory for all of their contributions to modern music. The first time I ever put on their Self Titled album, I was hooked. It had some catchy numbers like that unforgettable "Hit Or Miss" and the delectible "All About Her". I still consider it one of the best Pop Punk albums i've ever heard. Fast forward to 2007, as I start spinning the debut EP from Californias own This Time Next Year called A Place For You. Many of the same feelings rush into my head. I craved a new pop punk band that I can just put their releases on repeat and never get sick of. It's fast, it's fun, and it's 2007 and I can't believe there is a band that is being more 'punk' then 'pop' in this 'scene'.

A Place For You starts off sounding like it's just another band. A muffled guitar doing the same riff over and over. But then it hits you, and it hits you hard once singer Pete Dowdalls starts to use those pipes of his showing you that they're not messing around. The track i'm speaking of is "Sands Of Bougainville", the nasally voice of Dowdalls will instantly make you think a young Jordan Pundik, a young Tom Delonge, and even a young Vinnie Caruana.

"Rules Of A Ghost Hunt" is just 2 minutes and 25 seconds of pure fun. I can see it being a fan favorite for years to come. I get the same feelings with "Hearts And Arrows" which just screams "sing me out loud, sing me out loud" and some of the times you will go through the record, this will probably be the song that you'll want to start singing or at least humming.

The last tracks on the record are darker, but never slow down. the title track "A Place For You" chants the words:
"Now can't you see your face means this to me: a worthless histroy that I just don't need. Keep my books empty, clean of you and me. The last thing I told you, "Cut the strings and move back east, board your windows and lock the doors and stay the fuck away from me."
"Sweetest Air", the final track, is the longest also features the most vocals by backup vocalist Brad Wiseman whom has a much rougher voice than Dowdalls. But this will be the song that gets you handclapping and dancing.

Truthfully I said many similar things about each track, because hell, most of it is true for all of the tracks on this EP. The only negative thing I have to say about A Place For You is that it's too short. I want a full length so bad from these guys. This is only the beginning for the quintet. A Place For You is seriously the most addicting thing i've heard so far this year. If you check out one pop punk release this year, make it this one.

Recommended If You LikeNew Found Glory, The Movielife, Saves The Day, Set Your Goals, Pop Punk In General
Additional InformationTrack Listing
1. Sands Of Bougainville
2. Rules Of A Ghost Hunt
3. The Wise Are Always Better
4. Hearts And Arrows
5. A Place For You
6. Silver Springs
7. Sweetest Air

Myspace; Order the album
This review is a user submitted review from Nathan Lint. You can see all of Nathan Lint's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 32
07:44 PM on 06/27/07
tm decomposer
KEMBA WALKER 4 PREZ!!
User Info.
Sweetest Air is awesome. Great review, great album
04:27 AM on 06/28/07
Heart-A-Tact
User Info.
Good review. Definitely going to check this out now.
07:19 AM on 06/28/07
Praetor
bippity boppity
User Info.
Awesome review, I'm gonna go check this out.
09:43 AM on 06/28/07
CountMeOut923
Registered Member
User Info.
i cant help but think of movielife when i see the band name.
10:31 AM on 06/28/07
joshy hizzle
Rocky Top
User Info.
their album cover looks alot like the everglow. a whole lot.
11:24 AM on 06/28/07
InaGreendase
Registered Member
User Info.
The vocals were way too nasally on the demo for my liking.
01:06 PM on 06/28/07
berniemac1234
User Info.
I totally agree with this review. This cd is amazing and i recommend if you havent picked it up already. If you like Set your goals, new found glory, the movielife. get it. now!
01:18 PM on 06/28/07
Big_Guy
Idle Will Kill
User Info.
great cd
01:25 PM on 06/28/07
duffe
_________________________ _____
User Info.
great ep, i got it in the mail yesterday.
01:52 PM on 06/28/07
i12punk
Accents
User Info.
Quote:
If you check out one pop punk release this year, make it this one.

Or maybe one of the better ones. Yellowcard, Starting Line, MxPx, Mayday Parade, Paramore. I'm sure I could find more.
01:53 PM on 06/28/07
Dan CiTi
To Let The World Be
User Info.
I wonder where they got their name from.
02:13 PM on 06/28/07
Nathan Lint
That's the real joke
User Info.
Or maybe one of the better ones. Yellowcard, Starting Line, MxPx, Mayday Parade, Paramore. I'm sure I could find more.
02:26 PM on 06/28/07
arf_mutha_arf
User Info.

opposite day?
02:59 PM on 06/28/07
breakfront12
Rich_E&P
User Info.
It's rare that I'll read a review of a band I don't know and instantly want to check the band out, but that's the case here, good work!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos