Username
Password
General Announcement News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
General Announcement
Inside AP.net

Technology Round-Up (10/24/11)

Posted by: Linda Ferreira (10/24/11)
Head to the replies to read this week's Technology Round-Up.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 23
09:57 AM on 10/24/11
Linda Ferreira
The Retired Maillady
User Info.
Thanks to Chad for putting this together:

Technology Round-UpPoll

A 15-year study has found no link between cell phones and cancer. Though people criticize the study for confusing ownership with use. But let's be honest in this week's poll: would you give up your cell phone if multiple studies indicated that it might give you cancer? [Poll]

Apple

Following Steve Jobs' passing a couple weeks ago, Sony Pictures is reportedly spending between $1 million and $3 million for movie rights to Steve's life. The Steve Jobs authorized biography will be released early, and the book is receiving positive reviews. Some of the excerpts that have leaked reveal that: Jobs is one of 20 people in the world to have his entire DNA sequenced in order to help doctors develop a cure to cancer; Jobs admitted to a biographer that he regretted trying alternative remedies and delaying surgery for his cancer; also, he also advised people to not run the company pondering what he would have done.

Steve Jobs respected Apple designer Jony Ive so much that Ive literally has no boss at Apple.

Check out a review of the iPhone 4S and iOS 5.

Apple executives in 1987 were able to predict that software like Siri would be available in 2011. Speaking of Siri, you can teach it to pronounce your friends' names correctly. Apple is firmly committed to Siri--the group behind its development one of the largest at Apple.

Regional carriers in the U.S. are starting to get access to the iPhone.

An iPhone was used to record parts of the upcoming Marvel Avengers movie. Apparently Hollywood is hurting financially worse than we thought...

Sprint has confirmed an unlimited data plan for the iPhone at $69.99/mo for 450 anytime minutes (unlimited mobile to mobile and text) and $99/mo. for unlimited minutes.

Samsung is trying to block iPhone 4S sales in Japan and Australia. Despite the legal battles between Apple and Samsung, Samsung will still be the chip provider for the A6 chip quad-core CPU.

The first iPod was released 10 years ago. For the nostalgic, check out a 2011 review of the 2001 iPod (the one with the mechanical scroll wheel).

New Macbook Pros may arrive next month (since predictions of an announcement last month didn't pan out).

OS X users should be careful when they update Adobe Flash. A trojan is masquerading as a Flash update.

Internet

Amazon has announced a new HTML5-based Kindle eBook format. The company also expanded its video library with videos from PBS.

Despite the announcement that Spring will offer unlimited data plans to iPhone users, Sprint is capping its data for tablet, netbook, notebook, and USB/connection card users.

Dropbox rejected a buyout offer of at least a billion dollars from Apple in 2009. Now that Apple has released a iCloud, your round-up author imagines that executives are regretting that decision.

Google is working to develop secure searches.

The new Google Docs presentation features 50 new features including transitions and simultaneous collaboration.

Razer Synapse 2.0 is a cloud service that stores all your gaming settings.

Google

Gmail is getting a redesign that looks similar to Google Voice.

Google+ will start allowing people to use pseudonyms rather than their real names.

Google has announced encrypted search.

Google is lowering the price of Chromebooks to entice schools and businesses.

Electronics

A new camera by Lyto fixes the problem with out-of-focus pictures by allowing pictures to be focused after being shot. Check out a hands-on feature with the device. The new picture format captures depth in its shots to allow for people to take photos faster.

I have two words that should excite every nerd: Electric DeLorean. Yes, there are real plans to release it.

The Fisker Karma received a 52 MPGe rating from the EPA.

GM has demonstrated a new accident avoidance system which the company claims could avoid 81 percent of accidents.

The PS Vita (new version of the PSP) will ship on February 22.

Nintendo is releasing a Wii that does not support Gamecube compatibility for the same price as the Wii which does. The original device will still be sold. Due to sheer confusion, your round-up author read the full press release. If you think getting Super Mario Bros. Wii instead of Mario Kart Wii in your bundle is worth sacrificing backwards compatibility, then you'll love this deal!

The Nokia Essence earbuds will block 99.8% of outside noise and feature NFC for tap-to-pair functionality.

The Nintendo 3DS and Wii are getting Hulu Plus.

DirecTV has a new HD UI.

eFun has announced a new aPen Smart Pen for writing on iPads and iPhones.

Mobile

Google and Samsung have unveiled Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. The new OS will introduce a new camera app, feature NFC-based Android Beam for quick filesharing, support facial recognition unlock, and include native stylus support. Some of the new widgets and apps have leaked. Side note, your round-up author is really not looking forward to having to type "Ice Cream Sandwich" consistently. "Cupcake," "Donut," "Eclair," "Froyo," and "Gingerbread," were all much easier to type.

Unofficial ports of Ice Cream Sandwich are already in the works for the Nexus S 4G.

The Sony Ericcson Xperia phones will receive Ice Cream Sandwich.

Steve Jobs was so convinced that Android stole from iOS that he turned down a $5 billion settlement, stating, "I will spend my last dying breath" fighting Android.

The Samsung Galaxy Nexus (which sports a 720p-resolution 4.65-inch screen) has been delayed to broken pixels in displays. Check out a hands-on with it. In random feature news, it comes with a barometer (yes, the thing weather people use) which will aid with faster GPS discovery. Check out photo and video samples from the device's camera. The phone has also been specifically designed to step around iPhone patents (which Samsung's VP of Design denies). Verizon has confirmed it will receive the phone.

Check out the Motorola Droid Razr which features a 4.3-inch qHD super AMOLED screen.

See a review of the HTC Titan which is an appropriately-named phone that sports a 4.7-inch screen.

The LG DoublePlay features two screens and will land eventually land on T-Mobile.

Samsung outdid Apple in smartphones shipped last quarter by a margin of 20 million to 17.1 million.

The U.S. International Trade Commission has said, "Nice try!" to HTC by finding that Apple did not violate four of HTC's patents.

Microsoft is looking for people with "klout" to receive free Windows Phone 7 devices. Is "klout" the new "swag"?

The BlackBerry Torch 9810 will be released this November.

RIM is apologizing for Blackberry service outages by giving away $100 worth of apps and one free month of technical service. Yes, there are apparently at least $100 worth of apps on the Blackberry App World.

Check out a review of the Nokia N9.

Apps

The Tablet S can now access the Playstation Store for some nostalgic gaming.

Verizon's new My FiOS app allows for home automation, home entertainment system, Flex View TV shows, and DVR controls via your Android 2.1 (or newer) phone. An iOS version is still in development.

Sony has released Music Unlimited for Android tablets.

Adobe PDF for iOS is now available.

The latest Swype update finally allows for automated updating (no installation necessary) so users won't lose their settings and custom updates when new versions are released.

Google temporarily took down the Google Voice app to fix iOS 5 incompatibilities. Google has since fixed the app and restored it.

The Netflix Android app now supports Honeycomb tablets.

Spotify has released a preview app for select BlackBerry users.

Computer/Tablet

Some Android tablets will get Ice Cream Sandwich by the year's end. The Motorola Xoom will get Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0).

The Samsung Galaxy 7.0 Plus WiFi will be available November 13 for $400.

Check out a preview of Blackberry Playbook 2.0.

Check out a review of the ASUS Zenbook UX31.

Tips/Tricks

See if you are better off with Google service or iCloud. If you decide on iCloud, learn how to quickly migrate all your data from Google accounts to iCloud.

Improve the graphics performance on your laptop using an external video card dock.

Annotate web pages and e-mail them using Myriad Remarkz.

Add multitasking gestures and display mirroring to the first iPad.

Use multiple Gmail, Facebook, and other web accounts on an iPad with Our Pad for iPad.

Get the best features of Android 4.0 on your Android device now.

Make Android look like iOS using Esquire Launcher.

Set up contact-specific vibrations and add LED notifications to iOS5 (both built-in features).

For some reason, Apple doesn't want people putting the iOS 5 Newsstand app in a folder. Learn how to bypass this random restriction.

FocusBar is a little tool that notices when you're not working and reminds you to work.

Want to sign up for a page and avoid spam? Use Guerrilla Mail which gives you e-mail addresses that expire in one hour.

Learn what time you should go to bed with SleepTiming.

Take screenshots on any Android phone with No Root Screenshot.

Schedule a time to send messages, set up reminders, set up recurring messages, and more with Boomerang for Gmail.

Miscellaneous

Apple University is a program that started in 2008 and has now garnered more press as a way to teach executives to think as Steve Jobs did.

HP's Chief Strategy Officer will retire next month, and his position will be dissolved after he leaves.

If you've been watching the World Series (and hopefully cheering for your round-up author's favorite team, The Texas Rangers), you've probably noticed the necklaces that Pujols and many other players are wearing. Check out the science behind the necklaces and see if they will bring out the inner superstar in you.

Microsoft is developing technology that can turn surfaces including your hand into a touchscreen.

Apparently, the IQ of teenagers can change biologically.

--
Contributor: CyberInferno (Chad)
10:08 AM on 10/24/11
AdamChildress
Wondrous Oblivion.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I want an electric Delorean!
10:28 AM on 10/24/11
Spencer Control
Will you catch me if I blow away?
User Info.
Interesting about the phones; I had been thinking about that recently.
10:32 AM on 10/24/11
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
I can't wait to get ahold of the Steve Jobs biography. Unfortunately the Borders that was a block away from my apartment closed and I don't own an e-reader, so I guess I'll be waiting for the holidays.
10:33 AM on 10/24/11
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
Also glad to see the Google Voice on iOS news, now I know why it wasn't working on my new phone.
10:50 AM on 10/24/11
Jack Torrance
What's in Room 237?
User Info.
I can't wait to get ahold of the Steve Jobs biography. Unfortunately the Borders that was a block away from my apartment closed and I don't own an e-reader, so I guess I'll be waiting for the holidays.

Same here, very pumped to get the book, but im all about soft cover, so I must wait.
10:52 AM on 10/24/11
ole4b
cursed > praised
User Info.
Shit, I might have that Flash virus. My plug-ins don't work. I've installed the new version, installed firefox and chrome, uninstalled the new version of flash, installed again, no browser's flash plug-ins work. I'm on Safari right now I was checking if it would work on any other browser. Anyone know what I should do?
11:21 AM on 10/24/11
Rob McWilliams
Eat your salad, no dessert
User Info.
My old Galaxy Tab 7.0 feels so outdated with its Froyo...
11:30 AM on 10/24/11
dannylololol
Stay Hungry. Stay Free.
User Info.
Awesome round up. Props to who puts it together
11:47 AM on 10/24/11
Jason949
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The Galaxy Nexus looks rad, hoping that T-Mo will pick it up
11:50 AM on 10/24/11
sevinw0rds
Polyrhythms!
User Info.
Sadly, the bit about filming parts of The Avengers on an iPhone ended up being untrue. Would've been pretty sweet though.

http://www.slashfilm.com/the-avenger...ooting-iphone/
11:52 AM on 10/24/11
Rob McWilliams
Eat your salad, no dessert
User Info.
Quote:
Microsoft is developing technology that can turn surfaces including your hand into a touchscreen.

the fuck
01:48 PM on 10/24/11
re7ard1337
You don't mean a thing to me.
User Info.
glad to see a lot of stuff about Jobs. wasn't too big on the fact that he turned down that settlement though.
04:18 PM on 10/24/11
grimis16
User Info.
If you've been watching the World Series (and hopefully cheering for your round-up author's favorite team, The Texas Rangers), you've probably noticed the necklaces that Pujols and many other players are wearing. Check out the science behind the necklaces and see if they will bring out the inner superstar in you.

Welcome to 4 years ago
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums