AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Alesana - A Place Where the Sun Is Silent Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.75
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 7.25
Production 8.25
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 6.75
Reviewer Tilt 7.5
Final Verdict: 77%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8
Musicianship 4
Lyrics 8.5
Production 9
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 7.5
Average: 75%
Inside AP.net

Alesana - A Place Where the Sun Is Silent

Reviewed by: Crossfires (10/25/11)
Alesana - A Place Where the Sun Is Silent
Record Label: Epitaph Records
Release Date: October 18th 2011

Since releasing their debut album On Frail Wings of Vanity and Wax back in 2006, Alesana have desperately tried to embolden their sound on each record in hopes of creating a record with enough depth, creativity and original songwriting that would spark the interest of listeners. Where Myth Fades to Legend failed to capture the attention of its listeners as did their previous album. However their third record showed hope for the band. Alesanas third release, The Emptiness showed signs of the band taking advantage of all the elements of what made their previous records bleak and sharpened them up to make a more melodic and vocal driven sound. While The Emptiness wasn't exactly the greatest release of 2010, it definitely showed promise for the band and its future. So a year forward and we now have A Place Where the Sun Is Silent. Does this record make up for the missed opportunities of Alesanas previous releases?

A Place Where the Sun Is Silent depends on the use of three guitarists to provide a large amount of rhythm and melody, catchy emotional pop-inspired choruses and the typical Alesana scream/clean vocalizing. All of these can be considered strengths and weakensses of this record.

The Emptiness provided a more melody-dependent sound, and this sound is expanded on this record. Whilst not much progression is made in the instruments, plenty of melody is still achieved in this album. The album's melody is accompanied by heartfelt choruses which are the highlight of most of the songs on the album. Pop-inspired melodic choruses are definitely Alesana's biggest strength and this shows in tracks such as "Lullaby of the Crucified" and "A Gilded Masquerade". The use of guitar solos on tracks such as "Lullaby of the Crucified" and "A Forbidden Dance" are a pleasent addition to Alesanas sound.

Whilst there are some solid vocals present on the album, it's impossible to ignore the use of screams present. Granted, this Alesana record is less dependent on screams, the use of screams at times feels unnecessary and at times just plain annoying. The album begins with a piano duet track but quickly erupts with the catchiness of "A Forbidden Dance". This is also one of the strengths of the album: the ability to include slow piano driven songs and then burst back into faster paced tracks and instantly build up momentum which keeps the pace of the album fresh.

Lyrically, A Place Where the Sun Is Silent doesn't offer anything new. Once again this Alesana record is based around a concept and relies on the typical cheesiness which dominated Alesanas previous three records "Your lips they beg for me to get you alone, I want you to know it's the sway of your hips." The lyrics, however cheesy and over the top they may be, have been simplified since The Emptiness and make the overall pop elements of the album effective.

So to answer my question, Does this record make up for Alesana's missed opportunities? To put it simply yes. Alesana may never be the biggest band in the world, and this record might not win over all the haters, but in terms of progressing musically, this record achieves its goal. It has its flaws as has every other Alesana album, but the band realize these flaws and manage to strengthen their sound with every release. For any fan of melodic post-hardcore looking to start with a creative and melodic band then this album is definitely a great place to start.

Recommended If You LikePost-hardcore, Eyes Set To Kill, Blessthefall (Craig Mabbit)

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10.
12:28 AM on 10/30/11
savestheday3x3
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
excellent review. a lot better than the fanboy 89% one... i was dissapointed cause i wanted them to incorprate this new sound with more heavyness... sure they are trying to grow up and mature and heavyness is kind of silly..... but can they really take themselves that seriously? lol
03:49 AM on 10/30/11
vivatoto56
Nice Try, The Devil
User Info.
I enjoy reading both of these reviews and would probably place this album somewhere in the middle of them. I really like the last paragraph, nicely written.

Lovin the album too.
02:21 PM on 10/30/11
Crossfires
User Info.
Thanks for the feedback!

excellent review. a lot better than the fanboy 89% one... i was dissapointed cause i wanted them to incorprate this new sound with more heavyness... sure they are trying to grow up and mature and heavyness is kind of silly..... but can they really take themselves that seriously? lol

I don't think they're as big of a joke as everyone says they are
Admittedly i used to think this type of music was the greatest thing in the world but then my taste in music matured a bit i guess
But i still enjoy them, i can just see they have their ups and downs and it's understandable how people might not take them seriously
Peronal tastes i guess
07:11 PM on 10/30/11
The Summer Ends
COYS
User Info.
best screamo band ever
10:57 AM on 10/31/11
Rob McWilliams
Eat your salad, no dessert
User Info.
Good to see a more fair review than the other one, which was obviously written in mid-orgasm, but still a tad bit high in my opinion.
12:03 PM on 10/31/11
cubine
www.facebook.com/truthunderattack
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
lulz

fuck orchid, alesana's what's up
02:19 PM on 11/01/11
Crossfires
User Info.
Good to see a more fair review than the other one, which was obviously written in mid-orgasm, but still a tad bit high in my opinion.

Thanks, gotta admit i'm a fan of the band and i tried my best not to be biased in reviewing this
but then again this is my first review so i'm not really sure as what's considered too high or too low on ratings
02:20 PM on 11/01/11
Rob McWilliams
Eat your salad, no dessert
User Info.
Thanks, gotta admit i'm a fan of the band and i tried my best not to be biased in reviewing this
but then again this is my first review so i'm not really sure as what's considered too high or too low on ratings

It was probably more of my bias than yours; I tried really hard to like this album, but I just couldn't.
03:38 PM on 11/01/11
Crossfires
User Info.
It was probably more of my bias than yours; I tried really hard to like this album, but I just couldn't.

Can't be helped dude, we've all got opinions
I find myself slowly growing out of this kind of music i must admit
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT