Username
Password
Coldplay News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Coldplay
Inside AP.net

Coldplay Freezes Out Streaming Services

Posted by: Jason Tate (10/26/11)
Coldplay are freezing out music streaming services like Spotify, Rdio, and MOG from offering their new album.
From the ArticleEMI, the band's record label, acknowledged that Coldplay, known for such songs as "Yellow" and "Clocks," will not distribute through streaming services for "Mylo Xyloto," but did not detail the reasons for the decision. EMI, the smallest of the four largest record companies, is a little embarrassed by the band's decision, according to the sources who spoke with CNET. All four of the major labels have thrown their support behind streaming services and it is one of the ways the industry has seen a modest amount of success at convincing fans to again pay for music after a decade-long era of rampant music piracy.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 142
05:49 PM on 10/26/11
VIVALAMATT
Two-Time APWP Champion
User Info.
Unfortunate since the album is great.
05:52 PM on 10/26/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
Only way they would have gotten money from me for the new album. So - I find it to be a weird call. Theirs to make though, so that's that.
05:54 PM on 10/26/11
providence36
generator ^ first floor
User Info.
well thankfully I downloaded it off mediafire so we're all good
05:56 PM on 10/26/11
dannylololol
Stay Hungry. Stay Free.
User Info.
Ok
05:58 PM on 10/26/11
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
terrible decision. guess i won't be hearing this album
06:01 PM on 10/26/11
misanthropist
Practice makes Practice
User Info.
they're choosing some bizarre ways to promote a sub-par album. I loved the last one, but I can't get in to MX.
06:04 PM on 10/26/11
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
Only way they would have gotten money from me for the new album. So - I find it to be a weird call. Theirs to make though, so that's that.
Do you think this could have to do anything with Coldplay's undying love for Apple/Steve Jobs?
First thing I thought of was Martin playing at an Apple event last(?) year and I heard that they performed at the celebration for Steve Jobs too at Apple HQ this past week.
06:06 PM on 10/26/11
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
Hmm, not sure what I think of this
06:08 PM on 10/26/11
esposimi
http://homestarrunner.com/sbemail45
User Info.
And I was wondering why I couldn't find it on Spotify.
06:09 PM on 10/26/11
brook183
Leave the lunchmeat for the sharks
User Info.
This is odd. I hope they speak out about why they are doing this.
06:10 PM on 10/26/11
Reyn182
User Info.
Shit. Looks like I'll have to download it to check it out then...
06:11 PM on 10/26/11
UnderMyDreams
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
You can try to avoid the future, but you'll be left behind. I would've listened to the new record via Spotify, giving them more money from me than they will now.

If someone's going to buy a CD, more times than not they aren't using Spotify or the like.
06:11 PM on 10/26/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
Do you think this could have to do anything with Coldplay's undying love for Apple/Steve Jobs?
First thing I thought of was Martin playing at an Apple event last(?) year and I heard that they performed at the celebration for Steve Jobs too at Apple HQ this past week.
Nah, I think it's them being greedy. They make more money from people buying the album - assume it's not worth it.

Doubt it has anything to do with Apple/Steve Jobs.
06:19 PM on 10/26/11
re7ard1337
You don't mean a thing to me.
User Info.
there is no way Coldplay is being greedy, in my opinion. if they wanted to make more money, they wouldn't have changed their style / progressed as much as they did. bands that "sell out" typically make more cookie-cutter sounding music, and if you've listened to the new album, it is anything but. in fact, they have known about the general distaste for their newer sound since releasing "Every Teardrop" awhile ago, but did not seem to care because it was the sound they wanted. I would say this has to be a political move of some kind, I hope they speak out.

Again, this is all my opinion, I could be wrong. I just don't think Chris Martin would do this over money.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums