Username
Password

Comments: Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 142
07:44 PM on 10/26/11
zachh1ll
monkey calling
User Info.
I suppose I'm the only one who absolutely LOVES this decision. WHY should we get to "own" the artists music on streaming services for free? I'm on the artists side 1000% of the time on any kind of downloading/streaming/idiots not buying music anymore dilemma.
07:47 PM on 10/26/11
zachh1ll
monkey calling
User Info.
I never really looked into how those services work. That totally makes sense. Thanks

That percentage of money is something like $0.01 for every stream.
07:47 PM on 10/26/11
Intamin
Music...is great.
User Info.
there is no way Coldplay is being greedy, in my opinion. if they wanted to make more money, they wouldn't have changed their style / progressed as much as they did. bands that "sell out" typically make more cookie-cutter sounding music, and if you've listened to the new album, it is anything but. in fact, they have known about the general distaste for their newer sound since releasing "Every Teardrop" awhile ago, but did not seem to care because it was the sound they wanted. I would say this has to be a political move of some kind, I hope they speak out.

Again, this is all my opinion, I could be wrong. I just don't think Chris Martin would do this over money.
Maybe not Chris but when you're on a label you don't have the greatest control over what they do with your stuff--even Coldplay.
07:52 PM on 10/26/11
re7ard1337
You don't mean a thing to me.
User Info.
Maybe not Chris but when you're on a label you don't have the greatest control over what they do with your stuff--even Coldplay.
EMI doesn't seem like they agreed with the idea, so either you are right and they are playing stupid, or it wasn't their choice. Again, I just hope the band speaks out on the issue so we can know.
07:54 PM on 10/26/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
I don't really see how this move is going to get more people to buy the album though.

Me either. As I said, it was going to be the only way I payed for any part of the album. It not being on Rdio means I won't pay for it - and therefore won't listen to it. That's how I consume albums.

O well. Not that upset about it. Album was getting stale already anyway.
07:54 PM on 10/26/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
How would they have gotten money out of you through a streaming service? I'm not being smart, I'm just confused over that statement.
They get a small % of each stream.
07:55 PM on 10/26/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
didn't they have an album stream available on some web site a week ago?
Yes.
rbf737
User Info.
Semi relevant note - did anyone catch their live broadcast of their show tonight in Madrid? It was fantastic and they're doing another live broadcast online tomorrow which I'll likely watch, as well ha.
Jason Tate
User Info.
I suppose I'm the only one who absolutely LOVES this decision. WHY should we get to "own" the artists music on streaming services for free? I'm on the artists side 1000% of the time on any kind of downloading/streaming/idiots not buying music anymore dilemma.
It's not free.

We shouldn't. It's their call. Totally get that. Only reason I said anything was because it's quite literally the only way I will pay for their album. So they lost whatever tiny % they would have gotten from me. No skin off their noses. Just seems far behind the times - and makes people more apt to download it for free - where they get no %. I think it's a poor choice, but it's theirs to make.
07:56 PM on 10/26/11
Manufactured Dreams
Fabricated Revolution
User Info.
not trying to argue, but he said in an interview awhile back that he didn't do it because she was big in the pop scene, but because he loves her voice and she is "one of the top five singers in the world." but hey, it certainly is suspicious. the only reason I'm saying this is because I don't think that just because she guested on a track means anything, because this album is clearly not what most Coldplay fans are looking for, even with a mega pop singer. Similar to Martin using Jay-Z on a track because he likes Jay-Z, although the argument could be made that he wasn't on the LP. but I understand where you guys are coming from.

EDIT: meant to quote "permanent" too.

Lol @ Rihanna being one of the top 5 singers.
07:57 PM on 10/26/11
yanks2np
Nick Persico
User Info.
Coldplaytallica.
07:57 PM on 10/26/11
Manufactured Dreams
Fabricated Revolution
User Info.

I pay 10 ten dollars a month for Rdio. Not free.
08:13 PM on 10/26/11
drewinseries
Fight to get it back again.
User Info.
I disagree. I enjoy Spotify a lot, and it has helped me decide where I want to put my money. By streaming an album on Spotify I am not close to owning it. Listening to it is very limited. I don't know how only being able to listen with a computer/internet connection is like owning the physical record. That and I have the free version of Spotify, so my listening is caught by ads every couple of songs.
08:14 PM on 10/26/11
RTD2
Weekender
User Info.
I really don't think Coldplay cares about money at all. They've given away entire 100% proceeds of singles before to charity. They are one of the biggest touring bands in the world... they're one of the few rock bands which is filthy rich from touring alone.

I'd be interested in knowing what this is about, as well.

Their entire back catalog is available on Spotify, tho, for what it's worth.

agreed
08:18 PM on 10/26/11
AnotherMileston
Yeah? Yeah.
User Info.
You can fight it but it's done. Free music is out there and its not going to kill the music scene. It will adapt. People swore that cassette tapes would do the same thing when they came out because you could record individual songs on the radio and listen to em whenever you wanted. And before that people swore that radio would kill the music industry cause it was "free" music all the time. People aren't just going to stop downloading music. The music scene has to, and is, adapting.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos