AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Dropout Year - Best Friends For Never EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 7.75
Production 8.75
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 9.25
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Final Verdict: 84%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.17
Musicianship 8.31
Lyrics 8.04
Production 9.19
Creativity 7.63
Lasting Value 8.38
Reviewer Tilt 8.58
Average: 83%
Inside AP.net

Dropout Year - Best Friends For Never EP

Reviewed by: Blake Solomon (07/02/07)
Dropout YearBest Friends For Never EP
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: June 12, 2007

Frankly, Dropout Year has stunned me. I’m giddy right now. As a disclaimer, I have never met the guys in Dropout Year. They have never given me money, organs, or favors of any kind. What has been sent my way, however, is the most promising EP I have heard in some time. Believe me, it pains and frustrates me to type “Unsigned” at the top of this page, and this sad fact is obviously not based on logic. If it were, Dropout Year would be scene millionaires and I would be their sexy cabana boy. Loyal readers (Hi mom!), let’s make some dreams come true.

Now just what type of music could Dropout Year play that has me so excited? I am sometimes amazed at what attracts my ear, but this isn’t one of those times. Best Friends For Never features eight songs of hook-filled, catchy and perfectly paced pop-punk tunes. I didn’t realize how good this was until I popped the disc into my car stereo. Despite the fierce rain, I still felt compelled to roll the windows down. Also, I think I saw God part some clouds and wink at me. He was wearing a Dropout Year t-shirt.

If I was three years younger, or presently knew any females, acoustic and stringy “Biggest Fan” would be the bittersweet final song on a 'lovers mixtape'. The girl and I would undoubtedly get married. I would later divorce her for a newer version, but we would always have Dropout Year. I will not soon forget these tunes, which is usually a problem for me. After one listen to “As You Wish,” I knew a long relationship had been formed. The song goes back and forth between dual vocal solos and driving guitars, and it becomes reminiscent of Yellowcard during the Ocean Avenue-era by getting chaotic for the sole purpose of resolving into carefree melody.

I'm aware you've "heard this already." All I can really hope for is faith in yours truly. Pop-punk lives or dies in it's choruses, and Best Friends For Never features one irresistible hook after another. Leading the way are vocalists Adam Henderson and Brandon Reter, whose voices meld perfectly without getting whiny. However, nobody is overlooked as is evident in "From Across The Room" with it's grooving bass line and forceful drums. Unusual for the genre, Paul Leavitt's production actually gives everyone a chance to shine.

For a time I felt lightheaded while writing this. I soon realized my ailment was actually something to celebrate; blissful confidence! This album will bring happiness to all (most?) who give it a chance. No detail has been overlooked, and Best Friends For Never succeeds with heart and just enough teenage naivety. Forget all that mumbo-jumbo, Dropout Year succeed because they are great musicians.

Recommended If You Like: Yellowcard, Just Surrender, believing this jackass, American Diary, DisneyWorld

There might be free money hidden on this webpage.www.myspace.com/dropoutyear

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 38.
06:28 AM on 07/02/07
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Quite generous.
06:29 AM on 07/02/07
Praetor
as we melt, let's make no noise.
User Info.
I think musicians should write songs about your reviews, instead of the other way around.
06:30 AM on 07/02/07
tm decomposer
KEMBA WALKER 4 PREZ!!
User Info.
I want to hear this album really bad. Looks good from this review. Good job Blake.
07:47 AM on 07/02/07
justbreathee2
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The album is amazing. I'm so proud of the boys. They worked so hard on this, and it turned out amazing. You proved what amazing musicians you are. I'm soooo proud of you!!!

Everyone else, if you haven't gotten this yet--What are you waiting for?!?!

<3ACH<3
08:17 AM on 07/02/07
mattybobviously
WE DID IT!
User Info.
I went from Mayday Parade's release to this, and was really disappointed. It's very, very average.
08:39 AM on 07/02/07
Russ Hockenbury
www.youtube.com/goodcomputerkids
User Info.
Damn Blake, if you got this same day I did you're a fast motherhubbard.

I agree with Steve, this is pretty generic.

If I was three years younger, or presently knew any females, acoustic and stringy “Biggest Fan” would be the bittersweet final song on a 'lovers mixtape'.

CLASSIC!
08:44 AM on 07/02/07
xxbecky
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
When i first heard this EP all i could say was wow. The Chourses are definitly catchy as hell.
Im Proud of those boys. I saw some of these songs acoustic, it was soo amazing.

oh and erin, EASY ON THE AMAZING<3 =]

Everyone should go and pick up a copy off smartpunk or itunes. It's Worth it.
08:58 AM on 07/02/07
emtdoublea
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Was well worth the wait--each of the guys brings something unique to the band, and together they make excellent music; this album being proof of that. Keep up the good work guys!

Reminds me of "The Starting Line" & "Relient K"--pick up this album if you're a fan of either; I promise you won't be disappointed!
08:58 AM on 07/02/07
Poochemist
Not that easy to confuse
User Info.
Good/entertaining review, but others' reactions make me more skeptical about the release.
09:18 AM on 07/02/07
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Was well worth the wait--each of the guys brings something unique to the band, and together they make excellent music; this album being proof of that. Keep up the good work guys!

Reminds me of "The Starting Line" & "Relient K"--pick up this album if you're a fan of either; I promise you won't be disappointed!
Neon pink bold font = credibility.
09:29 AM on 07/02/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.

Eh, maybe. I never claimed revolution by any means. I have been playing these tunes pretty much nonstop for like 4 days and it was just so catchy and fun to my ear. I think a lot of people will enjoy this.
09:38 AM on 07/02/07
justbreathee2
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Blake, I think you are awesome. The songs on this album get stuck in your head, and you can't really say you mind them being there.

& P.S. Judgement on the color of font one choses to use on a review is silly. Pink may be her favorite color-does it make her opinion of the cd any less important?
09:41 AM on 07/02/07
mattybobviously
WE DID IT!
User Info.
The vocalist really bothered me, a lot. I think it's catchy, and if it had been released 2 months ago, I'd be giving it a few more listens. The problem is, there's a TON of pop punk coming out right now, and it's all better than this.
09:41 AM on 07/02/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
Damn Blake, if you got this same day I did you're a fast motherhubbard.

I agree with Steve, this is pretty generic.

If I was three years younger, or presently knew any females, acoustic and stringy “Biggest Fan” would be the bittersweet final song on a 'lovers mixtape'.

CLASSIC!

These songs were actually born inside me. I've never been apart from the music. Haha, i don't remember when i got this, must have been almost a week though. It's been total domination.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests