Username
Password

Comments: Page 11
Displaying posts 150 - 165 of 346
03:38 PM on 11/03/11
butrfli1234
I'M ON FIRE
User Info.
a 6/10 isn't a bad score at all, it's above average, which this album is.
I guess I read a 6/10 as a D or something...
03:49 PM on 11/03/11
Rysker6
I am not Tom Delonge
User Info.
Getting the record
03:51 PM on 11/03/11
OliverParker
User Info.
Despite most people giving this album negative feedback, I actually really want to hear it. I quite like the new songs. Just Drive is awesome.
03:54 PM on 11/03/11
Spenny
Hearts without chains.
User Info.
Just to try to shed some light on the whole scoring issue:

Using Thomas' review scores since he switched to the X/10 scoring system as a collection of sample means (treating each score as it's own sample mean of the score of the album, an independent sample), then we can use the Central Limit Theorem to say that the mean scores are approximately normal.
His mean review score is 80.375 (or 8.0375/10), in 24 reviews. Thomas claims that 6/10 is "above average," which means he's implying that the true sample mean is lower that 60. Let's say it's 5/10. He also said that it's different for each reviewer, which is why I'm just sticking to his scores (controls for error between separate reviewers). Also, the standard deviation of his album scores is 8.48944.

Using a simple t-test (where the null hypothesis is that the true sample mean=50), test stat=2.4. Student t curve with degrees of freedom n-1=23, then the p-value of the t-stat is between .002 and .001.

Which means (and the point of all of this) that there is between a 2% and a 1% chance that your 60% score is, in fact, above average and that all of your other scores are giving a higher sample mean by pure chance.

tldr 60% is not an above average score.
this analysis brought to you by a kid who had nothing better to do during his stats lecture
Win.
04:00 PM on 11/03/11
marsvoltamcr
Registered Member
User Info.
I like when bands I like get popular, so I'm actually happy about the sound of this album because if FYS is ever going to truly break through into a huge band, it's going to be now.
04:44 PM on 11/03/11
defy_stars
midnight nuisance
User Info.
Even the band grew out of this band.
04:52 PM on 11/03/11
calvaxox
User Info.
I'm looking forward to hear this album. I got into them later but can't wait to hear what these guys bring to the table this time around!
04:53 PM on 11/03/11
FromHereOnEvan
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I had high hopes for these guys, but it just kind of seems tired now. That said, "Explains It All" is one of my very favorite covers projects--mainly because it's so much fun.
05:06 PM on 11/03/11
ctmk
Get him a cranberry juice
User Info.
"Just Drive" grew on me do quickly. "Stuck In the Middle" is one of the busts in my opinion. "Fairweather Fan" is solid and idk what the fourth released one is. I don't think any one of those songs really reveals what the whole record is like, but "Just Drive" is the most single-sounding song.
falling on you was the 4th.
05:15 PM on 11/03/11
Minty Mouth
User Info.
Just to try to shed some light on the whole scoring issue:

Using Thomas' review scores since he switched to the X/10 scoring system as a collection of sample means (treating each score as it's own sample mean of the score of the album, an independent sample), then we can use the Central Limit Theorem to say that the mean scores are approximately normal.
His mean review score is 80.375 (or 8.0375/10), in 24 reviews. Thomas claims that 6/10 is "above average," which means he's implying that the true sample mean is lower that 60. Let's say it's 5/10. He also said that it's different for each reviewer, which is why I'm just sticking to his scores (controls for error between separate reviewers). Also, the standard deviation of his album scores is 8.48944.

Using a simple t-test (where the null hypothesis is that the true sample mean=50), test stat=2.4. Student t curve with degrees of freedom n-1=23, then the p-value of the t-stat is between .002 and .001.

Which means (and the point of all of this) that there is between a 2% and a 1% chance that your 60% score is, in fact, above average and that all of your other scores are giving a higher sample mean by pure chance.

tldr 60% is not an above average score.
this analysis brought to you by a kid who had nothing better to do during his stats lecture

You're making the mistake of equating Thomas's average review score with the average quality album. Thomas might give out an 8/10 review on average but that doesn't mean that he thinks an 8/10 album is an album of average quality. If that is what you are saying you are proposing a very wasteful review scale. Don't you think it could just be that he reviews albums that he likes more often than albums he doesn't like? Or that the albums he reviews just tend to be good more often than average or bad?

Good review. Crazy excited for the album--especially since I think Stuck in The Middle is a brilliant song. This was exactly the progression from EOTW that I expected. I honestly don't know what everyone else is hearing when they say the four released songs are bad. I'm just glad I'm not hearing the same thing.
05:21 PM on 11/03/11
JustThatGuy
Overdosed on Apathy
User Info.
I think im going to love it to be honest, i like what i hear so far and they have never disappointed me, they said they would rise or die trying, and they are trying to rise
05:24 PM on 11/03/11
dancelukedance
My body is a bomb
User Info.
Bizarre... 60% but the write up wasn't negative at all.
05:25 PM on 11/03/11
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
To be honest I'm more interested in listening to this album after seeing it got a 6/10 instead of an 8 like it seems so many records do. Varied scores add interest and in my opinion make the site's reviews seem more respectable overall.
05:32 PM on 11/03/11
MBIIdollaBill
die young and save yourself
User Info.
" If this band can cross over into the mainstream, and start playing to larger crowds, and start becoming a household name, that’s a major plus for the entire, burgeoning pop-punk scene as a whole. What’s good for Four Year Strong is, by direct correlation, good for The Wonder Years. Or for Man Overboard. Or for Fireworks. Or for any other band Four Year Strong ever takes on tour. If Four Year Strong can use this record to make it onto the airwaves, who’s to say it won’t lead to a rejuvenation of actual worthwhile music infiltrating the mainstream? Sure, it may be a stretch to think this way. But it’s all got to start somewhere."

my thoughts exactly
05:57 PM on 11/03/11
Collaptic
User Info.
Just Drive = Deftones rip. Fuck Four year strong, you're a dead mother fucker.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos