AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

General Announcement News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Technology Round-Up (11/06/11)

Posted by - 08:33 PM on 11/06/11
Head to the replies to read this week's Technology Round-Up.

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8
08:34 PM on 11/06/11
Linda Ferreira
The Retired Maillady
User Info.
Thanks to Chad for putting this together:

Technology Round-UpPoll

This week’s poll is inspired by a funny Louis C.K. rant about cell phones and how people are living lives through their mobile phones rather than actually experiencing the world around them.

Since we are on a music website, let’s focus specifically on concerts. Do cell phones enhance or hurt concert experiences? [Poll]

Apple

If you haven’t updated your iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch to iOS 5 yet, you might want to wait a week or two until 5.0.1 is released. Apple has confirmed that iOS 5 sucks down battery life at an abnormally high rate (we’re talking 32% in an hour and 13 minutes on light usage) for some users across all devices. Currently, Apple is seeding a second build of iOS 5.0.1 which includes a battery fix to developers. Also, iPhone 4S users on all three carriers are reporting that outgoing calls are randomly muted.

A jailbreak tweak showing of Siri functioning on an iPhone 4 has been revealed (though not yet released).

People with Apple products may have woken up an hour early on Sunday (or late in Arizona and Hawaii if phones mistakenly changed the time) thanks to glitches in the products’ daylight savings time interpretation.

A new study indicates that schools may have more iPads than computers in five years.

U.S. Cellular decided not to sell the iPhone due to expensive upfront costs. Meanwhile, C Spire will start selling the iPhone 4S on November 11.

A 70-minute, never-before-released interview with Steve Jobs called “Steve Jobs: The Lost Interview” will be released in theaters.

A new OS X trojan steals sensitive data and uses the computer’s GPU to generate Bitcoins.

Apple’s executives make $400 million in bonuses.

Internet

A Texas judge who was caught whipping his daughter via a YouTube video will not be charged with a crime.

Mark Zuckerburg has been rated the 9th most powerful person in the world. Do you agree with the rating?

It turns out that hackers will not attempt a November 5 denial-of-service attack on Facebook after all.

United Airlines and Continental plan to have on-board internet in their planes in 2012.

Stanford has developed a program that can crack CAPTCHAs.

Internet Explorer’s global usage has dropped below 50%.

AT&T is providing free internet to 11 parks in New York City.

Firefox 8 release candidate has been released.

Google

Google’s Chairman has expressed to the U.S. Senate that Siri is a “competitive threat” to Google and other search companies.

Google may become a cable TV service provider.

Gmail has a new look (that very much resembles Google Voice).

Google+ now has built-in YouTube support.

Ever wonder how the ads you see on Google searches came about? Google promises to explain its ad tailoring process as well as allow users to customize the results more.

Chrome 16 beta incorporates multi-profile sync.

Electronics

Sony has shown off a 0.7-inch 720p OLED display. Your round-up author questions the logic of packing a 720p resolution into such a minuscule display.

Ford is now taking preorders for the all-electric Ford Focus.

Bank of America has decided to drop the proposed $5/mo. debit card usage fees.

People who appreciate really high-definition cameras and have $10,000 lying around should check out the RED Scarlett.

In anticipation of an updated B&N Nook, the price of the current Nook has dropped to $200. Also, the Nook Simple Touch will be available for $99.

Blockbuster Express joins Redbox in charging more for new releases.

Mobile

A new carrier called Republic Wireless will offer unlimited talk, text, and data for $19/mo. Your round-up author is definitely intrigued.

AT&T will bring LTE speed to New York City in the near future. Meanwhile, your round-up author is appalled and embarrassed by how AT&T intentionally confuses customers by selling “4G LTE” devices alongside “4G” devices.

AT&T has extended the date of its intended T-Mobile acquisition.

See if your mobile device will get Ice Cream Sandwich (officially).

The Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket and HTC Vivid, both 4G LTE phones, are now available for AT&T.

The super-thin LG U1 may be the first Ice Cream Sandwich phone.

Engadget has reviewed the Sony Xperia Arc S.

The HTC Rezound features Beats Audio, a 4.3-inch screen, and HTC Sense 3.5.

T-Mobile has released the HTC Radar 4G, myTouchQ, and Galaxy Tab 10.1.

The Microsoft-approved unlocker for Windows Phone 7 is now available.

Go hands-on with the Samsung Focus S.

Check out a review of the Samsung Focus Flash.

Apps

A new Phillips app monitors the life of your iOS 5 device and teaches how to maximize its battery.

The GarageBand app now supports the iPhone and iPod Touch.

The popular TWCable app for iPad will make its way to Android.

BBM Music has released its app for the Blackberry App World.

Android Market v3.3.11 features auto-update by default and other new settings.

The Google Offers app is now available.

Photo Booth for Android allows people to make their own photo strips.

Prevent people from stealing your images by watermarking them with the Add Watermark app for Android.

The new Opera mobile apps help data-conscious users keep track of and limit their consumption.

Computer/Tablet

Fujitsu has taken the crown for fastest computer in the world.

The AMD Bulldozer chip has been overclocked to 8.58GHz, setting the new world record.

The software development kit for Kinect for Windows has reached beta 2.

Motorola has officially announced the Xoom 2 and Xoom 2 Media Edition.

The Asus Transformer Prime tablet will feature Nvidia Tegra 3 and a quad-core processor.

The Dell Latitude S tablet is now available for pre-order.

Amazon’s second-generation Kindle Fire will reportedly have an 8.9-inch display.

WebOS developers have the opportunity to purchase up to two 32GB HP Touchpads for $150 apiece.

The Commodore C64X Extreme will feature a nostalgic look on the outside but a quad-core Intel i7 processor inside.

Check out a review of the Dell Inspiron 14z.

Tips/Tricks

Speed up Android browsing over WiFi using an app called Set DNS.

Manipulate folders better on iOS 5 without needing a jailbreak.

Force iCloud to back up files of any type.

Keep relaxed at stressful times with the Buddhify app.

Windows 7 users can get a taste of Windows Phone 7 with the Mango Skin Pack.

Learn how to easily install OS X 10.7 Lion on your PC (Hackintosh).

Miscellaneous

Astronauts who spend extended time in space may experience vision issues that impact them even after they return home.

Engadget has released its Holiday Gift Guide 2011.

FEMA will perform the first nationwide test of emergency systems on November 9.

--
Contributor: CyberInferno (Chad)

08:51 PM on 11/06/11
esposimi
Genesis Does what Nintendon't
User Info.
Wonder what phones Republic will have to offer. Sign me up!
10:57 PM on 11/06/11
UnderMyDreams
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
That battery life with iOS 5 sounds crazy. I haven't had that problem at all.
11:05 PM on 11/06/11
S7ranburgLar
We're not for them(and that's cool)
User Info.
I just wanted to say that if you are fucking around on your phone while you're talking to me IRL, I am at the time seriously debating punching the phone into your face.
07:19 AM on 11/07/11
Spencer Control
Goddamn, I miss my dead friends
User Info.
Really? Deuce spammers in one thread, right after each other? Grody.

I'm quite frustrated that that judge isn't taking heat for beating the snot out of his disabled daughter.
08:16 AM on 11/07/11
stonecoldfox
You can't afford to live like this
User Info.
"Amazon’s second-generation Kindle Fire will reportedly have an 8.9-inch display."

This is exactly the reason I cancelled my pre-order of this. They're already working on a 2nd, presumably much better, version.
09:52 PM on 11/08/11
yufli
...rook takes knight
User Info.
That video of the judge beating up his daughter made me want to break something... just wow. could barely get through the entire video...

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos