AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

AP.net Interview: Sick of it All

Posted by - 12:17 PM on 11/09/11
Sick of it All, a band known for throwing the NYHC scene into high gear, has had quite the 25-year run. They just released Nonstop, an album of re-recordings available on Century Media Records. Lead vocalist Lou Koller took the time to answer some questions about his band, and shared valuable insights.
Interview QuoteThere are some hardcore bands who do and portray that tough-guy image, you know? Back in the beginning, there were Agnostic Front and Cro Mags and their look was the prototype of hardcore bands and metal bands now all over the world. They're very muscular and tattooed guys. But the thing is, they were actually living that life. They were living in the streets of New York, living in squats, and living a violent life. So I always found it weird when I'd go to say, Europe, and some guy from farm country in Italy would come with his gangster walk and talk. And I'm just like...heh...you know. Some of the newer bands have intentionally made themselves live that shitty life. With SOIA, we were angry but we weren't trying to be tough. I mean, I weighed like 90 pounds back then and there's no way I was gonna be tough [laughs]. So, I understand when people see hardcore as something dumb or dumbed down, but I hate being lumped into that. Especially after so many years of having been around, when you think you've established yourselves at a certain level but you're still dealing with a bunch of crap.

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7
07:40 PM on 11/09/11
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
If find this excerpt pretty interesting. Although I would say that NYC hardcore bands probably have more of a reason to have the tough guy image (not really a good thing, NYC is much more dangerous and crime ridden then most European big cities thus much less desirable in my eyes) there are definite places in Europe that having that image would be acceptable.
09:00 PM on 11/09/11
ACA
Kevin Devine @ NYC 11/3
User Info.
More to the point, though:

NYC used to be a god damned dangerous city to live in. Watch Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles if you need a reminder.

The city has cleaned up (and priced out) much of the crime and thugs.

This goes hand-in-hand with what they are trying to say.
09:21 PM on 11/09/11
truthbetoldxx
http://www.milkshakes.bandcamp.c om
User Info.

NYC used to be a god damned dangerous city to live in. Watch Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles if you need a reminder.

Lol
09:54 PM on 11/09/11
xthinkagain
teenagemutantninjapanties
User Info.

LOL
11:09 PM on 11/09/11
AP_Punk
Anarchist Cat Owner
User Info.
in related news, earlier i was watching that Fear of a Punk Planet episode with Sick Of It All. sooooo bad, it's (kinda) good.
02:44 AM on 11/10/11
DilesMavis
hxc before marc mccoy was emo semen
User Info.
interesting read.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT