User Info.
Recovery Room
The Caped Crusader
Neverland
Male
Footage of Sandusky in 1987.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540...85321#45285321

Dude just seems creepy. Even back then.
All I can think of (aside from the, you know, creepy element) while watching this....

11:30 AM on 11/16/11 
User Info.
Recovery Room
The Caped Crusader
Neverland
Male
It's a short-sighted decision to sever ties as quickly as possible. It makes me question where the University's goals really lie. Do they seek to truly reform the culture that allowed this to occur, or simply to scapegoat and remove from memory the most public figures.

The students will riot and rally as the please, statute or no statute. Removing it at this time can only make matters worse. Instead, they should let the facts continue to come out. Presuming they paint Paterno in no better a light than he currently is, the additional information and passing of time will make the decision to remove the statute appear more rational than reactionary.
Paterno, no matter how you slice it and no matter what comes to light from here on out, aided and enabled a pedophile. That's reason enough for them to cut ties, remove his likeness from the campus, take away his statues/plaques, and whatever else they deem necessary. Everything he had accomplished and meant to that university up until two weeks ago means jack now.
11:32 AM on 11/16/11 
User Info.
MyBestFiend
SAVE.US_EMB11D
Collegeville, PA
Male - 21 Years Old
Paterno, no matter how you slice it and no matter what comes to light from here on out, aided and enabled a pedophile. That's reason enough for them to cut ties, remove his likeness from the campus, take away his statues/plaques, and whatever they deem necessary. Everything he had accomplished and meant to that university up until two weeks ago means jack now.

If by some chance Sandusky is acquitted, they will look like a bunch of anuses. I acknowledge that that's a long shot, but if you ask me they should have waited until Sandusky was actually convicted, not accused.
11:35 AM on 11/16/11 
User Info.
Recovery Room
The Caped Crusader
Neverland
Male
If by some chance Sandusky is acquitted, they will look like a bunch of anuses. I acknowledge that that's a long shot, but if you ask me they should have waited until Sandusky was actually convicted, not accused.
Normally I would agree with that, but with Paterno admitting himself he should have done more, especially in light of Sandusky's interview with Costas, I think they're justified.
11:35 AM on 11/16/11 
User Info.
Until The Bombs
@_johnleary
West Chester, PA
Male - 29 Years Old
Paterno, no matter how you slice it and no matter what comes to light from here on out, aided and enabled a pedophile. That's reason enough for them to cut ties, remove his likeness from the campus, take away his statues/plaques, and whatever else they deem necessary. Everything he had accomplished and meant to that university up until two weeks ago means jack now.

Re-read what I said. None of this applies.
11:36 AM on 11/16/11 
User Info.
Killadelphia
Nope. He's just a football coach. Outlook of university is far more important
11:44 AM on 11/16/11 
User Info.
Recovery Room
The Caped Crusader
Neverland
Male
Re-read what I said. None of this applies.
"It's a short-sighted decision to sever ties as quickly as possible. It makes me question where the University's goals really lie. Do they seek to truly reform the culture that allowed this to occur, or simply to scapegoat and remove from memory the most public figures."

It does apply. Everything I said was just reiterate what has occurred and where everything stands now.

It's not short-sighted in light of what they already know for a fact at this time. Their goal is probably a combination of the two choices you mentioned. Either way, they have to separate themselves from the people involved as soon as possible so they can begin to reform their image and name.

"The students will riot and rally as the please, statute or no statute. Removing it at this time can only make matters worse. Instead, they should let the facts continue to come out. Presuming they paint Paterno in no better a light than he currently is, the additional information and passing of time will make the decision to remove the statute appear more rational than reactionary."

This also ties into what I initially said. They know enough now to sever all ties and to do it now. They have every right to make a knee-jerk reaction as logical as this one is and will appear. I don't see why they should delay the process of repairing the insane damage that has hit them since they know well more than enough.
12:09 PM on 11/16/11 
User Info.
Until The Bombs
@_johnleary
West Chester, PA
Male - 29 Years Old
"It's a short-sighted decision to sever ties as quickly as possible. It makes me question where the University's goals really lie. Do they seek to truly reform the culture that allowed this to occur, or simply to scapegoat and remove from memory the most public figures."

"It does apply. Everything I said was just reiterate what has occurred and where everything stands now.

It's not short-sighted in light of what they already know for a fact at this time. Their goal is probably a combination of the two choices you mentioned. Either way, they have to separate themselves from the people involved as soon as possible so they can begin to reform their image and name."

Any talk of "reforming" before the infastructure that allowed for these atrocities to occur is torn down is pre-mature.

So many within not just the sports program, but the administration, board, not to mention donors and key community figures are likely enablers either by association or in actuality. They were all raised in the house that JoePa and college football built. This is larger than any individual or a group of people that can be quickly seperated from. While some moves surely should be made sooner rather than others, this is not one of them.

Quote:
"The students will riot and rally as the please, statute or no statute. Removing it at this time can only make matters worse. Instead, they should let the facts continue to come out. Presuming they paint Paterno in no better a light than he currently is, the additional information and passing of time will make the decision to remove the statute appear more rational than reactionary."

"This also ties into what I initially said. They know enough now to sever all ties and to do it now. They have every right to make a knee-jerk reaction as logical as this one is and will appear. I don't see why they should delay the process of repairing the insane damage that has hit them since they know well more than enough."

The statue poses no threat to any individuals and given current public opinion at state college, removing it can only do more harm than good at the moment. Under these circumstances, a knee-jerk reaction is inappropriate, irresponsible, and provides the appearance that the board is either naive at best, or misguided at worst. To reiterate, no true repair can be done at this time. If you believe it can, than you do not understand the magnitude of the situation.
12:10 PM on 11/16/11 
User Info.
Recovery Room
The Caped Crusader
Neverland
Male
Any talk of "reforming" before the infastructure that allowed for these atrocities to occur is torn down is pre-mature.

So many within not just the sports program, but the administration, board, not to mention donors and key community figures are likely enablers either by association or in actuality. They were all raised in the house that JoePa and college football built. This is larger than any individual or a group of people that can be quickly seperated from. While some moves surely should be made sooner rather than others, this is not one of them.

The statue poses no threat to any individuals and given current public opinion at state college, removing it can only do more harm than good at the moment. Under these circumstances, a knee-jerk reaction is inappropriate, irresponsible, and provides the appearance that the board is either naive at best, or misguided at worst. To reiterate, no true repair can be done at this time. If you believe it can, than you do not understand the magnitude of the situation.
Those are valid points too, I can see where you're coming from.
12:49 PM on 11/16/11 
User Info.
UnderMyDreams
No Avatar Selected
University Park, PA
Male - 24 Years Old

Correct, there's no way to fix it in a few weeks. And while, yes, Paterno wasn't a "threat," he still had a hand in covering it up, and as a University, which holds the purpose of education and (not football, not Joe Paterno) they needed to fire him.

Why? Because he enabled a child molester on PSU campus in PSU facilities. If they allowed him to continue through the last games they would be allowing an enabler of child molestation to be representing the school as a face on the national level...

Come on now.
12:53 PM on 11/16/11 
User Info.
UnderMyDreams
No Avatar Selected
University Park, PA
Male - 24 Years Old

Correct, there's no way to fix it in a few weeks. And while, yes, Paterno wasn't a "threat," he still had a hand in covering it up, and as a University, which holds the purpose of education and prides itself on community/ molding students of good morals (not playing football) they needed to fire him.

Why? Because he enabled a child molester on PSU campus in PSU facilities. If they allowed him to continue through the last games they would be allowing an enabler of child molestation to be representing the school as a face on the national level...

Come on now.
12:58 PM on 11/16/11 
User Info.
Until The Bombs
@_johnleary
West Chester, PA
Male - 29 Years Old
Correct, there's no way to fix it in a few weeks. And while, yes, Paterno wasn't a "threat," he still had a hand in covering it up, and as a University, which holds the purpose of education and prides itself on community/ molding students of good morals (not playing football) they needed to fire him.

Come on now.

Good god. Where the fuck did I say anything about Paterno, the person?

I would do some good for people on the site to not login looking for the first opportunity to pounce on someone and instead make an effort to read and understand something before responding.
01:01 PM on 11/16/11 
User Info.
UnderMyDreams
No Avatar Selected
University Park, PA
Male - 24 Years Old
Good god. Where the fuck did I say anything about Paterno, the person?

I would do some good for people on the site to not login looking for the first opportunity to pounce on someone and instead make an effort to read and understand something before responding.

Wait, I thought that was saying they shouldn't have fired him? Haha
03:51 PM on 11/16/11 
User Info.
MyBestFiend
SAVE.US_EMB11D
Collegeville, PA
Male - 21 Years Old
Already seeing facebook statuses along the lines of "Let's win it on Saturday for JoePa!" from Penn Staters. Ridiculous.
03:59 PM on 11/16/11 
User Info.
MyBestFiend
SAVE.US_EMB11D
Collegeville, PA
Male - 21 Years Old

I just feel like their priorities are wrong. Given what's happened recently, wanting the team to win it for Paterno just seems inappropriate to me.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos