thesollopsist
Up all night, and down all day
User Info.
great, great album
09:28 AM on 11/14/11
Steve Alcala
Let's play Smash. 1478-4468-2484
User Info.
ah man, you beat me to the punch. i was about halfway done with a review for this. but you made all the points i would have made with a no nonsense style. good stuff. and this takes a giant dump upon DTBMII easily and is a more inventive record than anything DGD have written.
Aw I'm sorry man didn't mean to be like a race haha. Thanks for the complements and yeah I completely agree. You should post anyway!
09:35 AM on 11/14/11
Steve Alcala
User Info.
Really enjoyed this album. One of my favs for the year. Your review thoroughly described the great musicianship this band possesses. It does sound quite similar to S/T by DGD, but it's a dramatic step up from that. What were your opinions on that album buhbee?
Thanks for the kind words man. The self titled I thought overall was a good, energetic introduction to a new style and new vocalist. I loved "Alex English" "Hot Water on Wool" and "Uneasy Hearts..." Other tracks sounded too repetitive in some aspects but the cd wa still fun. My biggest complaints of that album are Jon Mess's screams are too loud in the mix and the cussing becomes too much after a while. Happiness is better, IMO.
09:58 AM on 11/14/11
LastDeclaration
mmm tasty
User Info.
it's better than DBM2, but it doesn't even approach the tastiness of the s/t. or, arguably, happiness. and aren't those better objects for comparison considering they featured kurt travis?
10:09 AM on 11/14/11
Steve Alcala
User Info.
it's better than DBM2, but it doesn't even approach the tastiness of the s/t. or, arguably, happiness. and aren't those better objects for comparison considering they featured kurt travis?
I never compared it to DTBM2 in my review, at all. I actually did compare it to Happiness and Self Titled, especially with "Vanity Fair." I don't think either albums are bad, I love love love Happiness. But for different reasons. Overall, I find ALLB to be more expressive
10:29 AM on 11/14/11
HanLuk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Thanks for the kind words man. The self titled I thought overall was a good, energetic introduction to a new style and new vocalist. I loved "Alex English" "Hot Water on Wool" and "Uneasy Hearts..." Other tracks sounded too repetitive in some aspects but the cd wa still fun. My biggest complaints of that album are Jon Mess's screams are too loud in the mix and the cussing becomes too much after a while. Happiness is better, IMO.
I agree with you're dislikes completely. I honestly can't listen to "People You Know" because of the unescessary amount of fucks thrown in. I love the whole album besides that one song. This is obviously a more experimental, creative album, so overall, good review.
10:32 AM on 11/14/11
Steve Alcala
User Info.
I agree with you're dislikes completely. I honestly can't listen to "People You Know" because of the unescessary amount of fucks thrown in. I love the whole album besides that one song. This is obviously a more experimental, creative album, so overall, good review.
Me niether haha and thank you!
12:00 PM on 11/14/11
LastDeclaration
mmm tasty
User Info.
I never compared it to DTBM2 in my review, at all. I actually did compare it to Happiness and Self Titled, especially with "Vanity Fair." I don't think either albums are bad, I love love love Happiness. But for different reasons. Overall, I find ALLB to be more expressive
not in review, but in your response to my comment. i forgot to quote it. but anyways, to each his own. i personally just don't see how any objective listener could put this above either of those albums, or dgd's discog as a whole.
12:01 PM on 11/14/11
Rob McWilliams
Eat your salad, no dessert
User Info.

DGD stopped being better when Kurt left.

Also, heard from multiple sources that this was actually their debut full-length and Plan B was an EP. Anyone care to clear this up?

(also buhbee i hate you for reviewing this before me. D:)
12:03 PM on 11/14/11
Steve Alcala
User Info.
DGD stopped being better when Kurt left.

Also, heard from multiple sources that this was actually their debut full-length and Plan B was an EP. Anyone care to clear this up?

(also buhbee i hate you for reviewing this before me. D:)
Their band camp calls this their sophomore.

And I'm sorry man, post yours anyway! I've had this one in the works for a while but I got caught up with school. I love you too :D
12:06 PM on 11/14/11
Steve Alcala
User Info.
not in review, but in your response to my comment. i forgot to quote it. but anyways, to each his own. i personally just don't see how any objective listener could put this above either of those albums, or dgd's discog as a whole.
Tell me, what are your favorite DGD songs? (Again not trying to be a d-bag but just wanna see people's taste.) I love Self Titled for so many things, I love Happiness for so many other things, but I love Conversation Piece for the same reasons and then some. But like you said man, to each his own. Thanks for reading
12:10 PM on 11/14/11
Ilovepoprock
User Info.
Plan B is not an EP.
12:43 PM on 11/14/11
defy_stars
midnight nuisance
User Info.
i like
this album
a lot
12:52 PM on 11/14/11
nowFace
She's making the rounds!
User Info.
I'm so glad someone finally reviewed this. Love "the blowtorch is applied...", probably my new favorite song this year. Anyways when I picked it up (yes I purchase cds still) it was the only copy in the store. The same thing happened when I picked up Wildlife.
12:53 PM on 11/14/11
Rob McWilliams
Eat your salad, no dessert
User Info.
I'm so glad someone finally reviewed this. Love "the blowtorch is applied...", probably my new favorite song this year. Anyways when I picked it up (yes I purchase cds still) it was the only copy in the store. The same thing happened when I picked up Wildlife.

If they did a tour together I would jizz acid.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos