AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.

Man, The Reformer - 11.7.11

Interviewed by: Jenny Tate (11/16/11)
The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Man, The Reformer

www.manthereformer.com

MAN, THE REFORMER based out of Portland, Maine has recently released their debut album Mixtape - Side A produced by Jay Maas, Shane Frisby, Kevin Billingsea, and John Zebley. The album can be streamed in its entirety at www.manthereformer.com.

1. How did you get your band name?
KC Goodwin (guitars): We were sitting in our band room one night trying to come up with a name because we had our first show in like 3 days and needed a name. To make a long story short, we couldn't come up with anything so we decided to take the easy way out and use a lecture title that sounded cool, so we chose Ralph Waldo Emerson's "Man the Reformer."

2. How did this band get started?
KC: Bobby and I were talking about starting a new band one day and we realized that there are no drummers around our area and the ones that were around were not committed. One night I was talking to Dustin (who ended being our vocalist) and he mentioned that his friend Tim Churchill was looking to start a band but couldn't find guitar players. Dustin got him in touch with us and we started talking and eventually he came down to jam one weekend. The following weekend Tim moved with me. We hardly knew eachother but we both just wanted to play music really badly. By the first month of me, Bobby, and Tim jamming we had about 6 songs written that we sent to Dustin. At this point we had no bass player, so our friend John Zebley said he would be our bassist until we found a permanent member. He ended liking the project so much that he ended up joining. That's pretty much it.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
KC: The Stooges, Manchester Orchestra,The Minutemen, OFF!, The Mars Volta, Black Sabbath, Frank Zappa,Titus Andronicus, Fall Of Troy,
Mc5, Kayne West, The Flaming Lips, Brainiac, Gang of Four, At The Drive In.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
KC: We would want to tour with Rush because I heard Geddy Lee is a good cook.

5. Best food to eat on tour?
Bobby Cresta (guitars): Unfortunately I've never actually toured, but the best food to eat when we're out of state is definitely the nearest
local pizza or sandwich place. If we're talking late night, Taco Bell and BK are always good.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
BC: People will listen to whatever they want. If that happens to be us, then that's awesome. If not, then we don't really sweat it. It's cliche, but we really only make music because it keeps us happy, not for other people. At the end of the day boys will be boys.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
BC: Daryle Lamonica in 67'

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
BC: This is too awkward of a question for me.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Dustin Saucier (vocals): I think that we need to put the art back in music. It seems like the industry is more focused on a fresh face instead of actual talent. We need to remember that music is art, not a showcase of glamour.

10. Memorable tour experience?
DS: We haven't really been out on tour yet, but when we were on our way to Massachusetts to record with Shane Frisby, I found some lipstick in our vehicle. I put it on and did a mean impersonation of Buffalo Bill. There's video footage if anyone is interested.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
DS: AP.net has been my goto website ever since I was in high school. I would stop by frequently to check up on my favorite artists. As a musician, it is a great platform to get the word out about your band and what you're up to. I even have my own profile on the site so I can customize what I look at for topics. I'm a fan definitely.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
DS: It changes on a day to day basis. Currently I'm really enjoying playing the new material we are working on, but for the longest time it was our song "Nails like Johnny Winter." For me it was a new venture vocally, and everyone seems to love it when we play it....well except for that one crowd of hipsters that one time...

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Timothy Churchill (drums): Back home in Aroostook County, Maine.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
TC: Kiss, Judas Priest, Metallica, Megadeth, The Offspring, The Mortal Kombat movie sountrack.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
TC: Wolverine's powers because he can smoke and drink all day and not get cancer.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
TC: Just basic warm-ups and stretching.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
John Zebley (bass): I'm an open book for the most part. I'm a black belt in Kenpo, I guess most people don't know that.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
JZ: If we are talking about radio-radio (not online), prettttty bad haha. At least where I come from the only real options are top 40, classic rock, or alternative rock (cock rock). Despite the valiant efforts of the DJ's to stay current and fresh, I never find myself wanting to flip it on unless my ipod shits the bed. I do think that my band could be on the radio for sure but at least personally I feel that the people who appreciate the type of music we play listen to pandora, slacker radio, and other customizable services like that. It seems to me most teens and early twenty-somethings really don't care about the radio anymore when they can listen to stations they basically create themselves with a lot less commercials (for now at least).

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
JZ: Most of the time I'm hanging around my apartment writing music, watching youtube vids, or playing video games. Weather permitting, disc golf is my go to outdoor activity.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
JZ: Refer to photo.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2.
07:12 AM on 11/17/11
jakemuscles
User Info.
great band
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives