AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Phantogram - Nightlife Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 7.75
Production 8
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
Vocals 10
Musicianship 10
Lyrics 10
Production 10
Creativity 10
Lasting Value 10
Reviewer Tilt 10
Average: 100%
Inside AP.net

Phantogram - Nightlife

Reviewed by: Jeremy Aaron (11/17/11)
Phantogram - Nightlife
Record Label: Barsuk
Release Date: November 1, 2011

Phantogram's debut album seemed obsessed with the evening hours. Appropriately titled Eyelid Movies, it was chock full of nocturnal songs that, while danceable, were shrouded by a dreamlike, and often chilling, haze. So, it's not at all out of character for the upstate New York duo to drop another set of tunes tailor-made for the night. However, Nightlife marks something of a musical turnabout; though a song like "Make a Fist" would have fit right in on Eyelid Movies, much of that record's dark romanticism that evoked Mazzy Star is absent from Nightlife. Phantogram has allowed some sunshine to seep into their twilit sound, and the result is a sense of balance, something the debut, good as it was, could have used a little more of.

The opening track "16 Years" provides a confident introduction to the EP, showcasing the slightly brighter twist to the pair's brand of trip-hop. However, it's the single "Don't Move" that takes that sound to its peak potential, adding some lush chillwave-y synths to their mix of beats and samples. On first listen, some of the song's loops seemed ill-fitting and scattershot to me; don't let that discourage a second listen. Once the creative genius at work here sinks in, many repeat spins are sure to follow. As for obeying the lyrical order to "keep your body still"? Good luck with that one.

While Sarah Bathel's sometimes-airy, sometimes-sultry vocal is usually an essential element to the music's atmosphere, partner-in-crime Josh Carter takes over the singing duties on "Turning Into Stone", as he does on several of the debut's tracks. His style is rather non-descript, but is bolstered by Barthel's powerful turn on backup as well as the deep buzz and skittering rhythm pushing the song forward.

The aforementioned "Make a Fist" marks a bit of a return to the eerieness of Eyelid Movies, possessing an ominous insistence that's sort of reminiscent of Yeah Yeah Yeah's "Maps", but also sort of not. As the most uncluttered of the disc's six cuts production-wise, the title track's success falls squarely on Barthel's shoulders, and she expectedly proves more than worthy of the task.

The endpiece "A Dark Tunnel" is the closest example to a real bumper on the set, but doesn't quite stand up to its analog from the full-length, "Futuristic Casket" (its best song for my money). Aside from that rather flat conclusion, Nightlife is a solid offering from a unique act who possess a sound all their own, who seem unafraid of exploring all aspects of that sound-- the sweet, the sexy and the sinister-- and who, even this early in their career, have us anticipating their next move.

RIYLPhantogram's Eyelid Movies; St. Etienne's Foxbase Alpha; Alpha's Stargazing

Track Listing1. 16 Years (3:56)
2. Don't Move (4:18)
3. Turning Into Stone (4:54)
4. Make a Fist (4:36)
5. Nightlife (4:06)
6. A Dark Tunnel (5:29)

Preview/Buy the album at Amazon MP3.

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
11:57 AM on 11/17/11
Steve Alcala
"Counting Fish"
User Info.
I like your writing style man, great review
12:58 PM on 11/17/11
mwheeler1987
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
My favorite track has got to be Turning Into Stone.
09:41 AM on 11/19/11
Meeze
PunkOut.org
User Info.
My favorite track has got to be Turning Into Stone.
Turning Into Stone is my favorite as well...I get lost in it.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums