AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Ceremonial Snips - Check Your Audio Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8.75
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 7.75
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Final Verdict: 84%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8
Musicianship 9.5
Lyrics 7.5
Production 7.5
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Average: 86%

Ceremonial Snips - Check Your Audio

Reviewed by: Nathan Lint (07/12/07)
Ceremonial Snips - Check Your Audio
Label: Union 2112 Records
Release Date: June 12, 2007 (originally December 22, 2006)

One of my biggest beefs with living in Detroit, is while we live so near the Ambassador Bridge that crosses over into Canada, some of their biggest and best imports never make it to the states. So they'll play Barrie, they'll play London, they'll play Toronto, but unless a bigger label picks them up and gives them the fiscal possibility of touring a much more widespread area, I'm left yelling to them across the water to tell them they need to come over here sometime. This is what i'm deeming necessary for the Welland, Ontario quintet, Ceremonial Snips. Now who is this septet of handsome fools you might ask? They're a group that succeeds in playing tastes of punk, ska, and hardcore in each and every song they perform. Check Your Audio is their debut full length on the Canadian staple record label, Union 2112.

The opening track, "Gazebo Of Love" is the song that sets the tone for the whole record. It tells the story of the bands homes and how they have loved them. "Mistake" continues that tone the vocalist half singing, half shouting "Think before you act because actions determine who you are/ integrity, respect and what you believe/ Try to avoid that hard way because bridges are easily crossed unburned/ so trust yourself, pull strength within." After that minute and a half anthem comes the title track "Check Your Audio", and also seems to be one of the more simpler songs chanting things like "who needs morals with friends like these".

Later on the record, you find gems like "Paper Trails" which starts off with a trumpet solo, "Fuck With The Rose" which has an almost Metallica-like beginning that starts off exactly opposite of the last track with a guitar solo with a trumpet blaring in the background. The final track, "Birdman", starts off slow, but finishes as fast if not faster then the other eleven tracks they showcase. It's a great end to a great record.

I love these guys because they take three of my favorite genres, put them in a blender, and create an amazing short, fast, and loud record that I can listen to over and over. The best part about it, is they're generally unknown in the states. Record labels take notice, these guys could be the next big Canadian band to cross over into unknown territory. As for the band, i'd love to see you make an American appearance, Let's get rid of this border business once and for all.

Recommended If You LikeLawrence Arms, Suicide Machines, Only Crime, anthemic music
Additional InformationTrack Listing
1. Gazebo Of Love
2. Mistake
3. Check Your Audio
4. Megadaze
5. Ditch Slumber
6. Sans Inspiration
7. Paper Trails
8. Fuck With The Rose
9. Vigilante
10. Got The Bug
11. I Feel Fine
12. Birdman

Myspace
; Order the album

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3.
10:40 AM on 07/13/07
shoop
User Info.
I've heard these guys years ago, had some live vids someone sent me... GREAT stuff and I cant wait to hear this shit!
11:19 AM on 07/13/07
Smog01
User Info.
Yeah, love these guys. Some of them went to my school, they even played at my school a few times.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS