Password

Album Review

Halos - Living Like Kings In Confined Spaces Album Cover

Halos - Living Like Kings In Confined Spaces

Reviewed by
Halos - Living Like Kings In Confined Spaces
Record Label: Mandrake Records
Release Date: July 26, 2011
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
It's difficult to describe the flood of emotions that course through your body when life altering decisions and grand hopes see their overwhelming fulfillment. Your heart and mind feel light, as if suspended, levitated by the euphoria that pulses in your veins. And what if the sacrifice to experience such a feeling presented a daunting risk? The moment becomes so much sweeter, the finest taste you could imagine. This is the story of the Orange County band, Halos. Originally the aspirations of vocalist Dan Lynman, Halos became the product of big risks but even bigger dreams. Expelled from a religiously devout home, Lynman selected his passion for music when faced with an ultimatum. After months of surviving off meager work and living out of a van, Lynman ventured to California in the hopes of piecing together his artistic vision. Like minded men with similar scars in pursuit of their ambitions soon joined Lynman, and after 4 years of hard work and extreme dedication, the quintet presented their debut full length to the world.

When “Hekla” begins to play, there is an immediate sense of beautiful space. The drums provide slow heart beat rhythms that aurally contribute to a rise in stirring sensation with Lynman’s invitation to join him in the atmosphere, consistent with the melodic progression as it provides further imagery. His vocals provide a vigorous contribution to the music, with accents and styling similar to those of Casey Crescenzo (The Dear Hunter). Each layer of instruments introduces more depth to the song as it climaxes to a guitar driven chorus and reverts to the calmer, quieter segment that works like a deep breath in context of the music. This breezy, “cool autumn air” feeling, as I like to describe it, is appreciable in their most known song “Amalgam.” A galloping guitar rhythm complements a full bass tone that helps sustain both the rich piano accents and Lynman’s passionate lyrics, which beg to be sung in unison. A massive and aggressive chorus emphasizes the song. Such elements make this track a melting pot of what to expect overall from the album. “Never Never Land,” too, expresses this mellowed and soothing quality, but the skill of pianist Josh Huber is the star player on this track, sweeping his fingers gracefully over every note that perfectly contributes to the tune. Lynman feeds off of the melody and voices his inner dilemma and loving frustration. All of these tracks are especially beautiful and suit varying moods, making these songs noteworthy and accessible.

But Halos shows strong versatility throughout the course of Living Like Kings. ”Helium” is a good example of this musical diversity as the song remains upbeat, sustained by demanding percussion and complimented with bright keys. The title track, “Living Like Kings,” begins with a warm bass line that carries through the song and proves to be the factor that moves the other instruments to the grand chorus. But the track that demonstrates this most is the ambient, lyrically frank “Crutches.” Emotionality takes the reigns as the reverb and tremolo guitar and keys juxtapose Lynman’s more aggressive vocals, which sweep into ardent screams. The reprieve collectively sounds similar to the Blue Sky Noise era of Circa Survive, with its alternating guitar riffs that move in motion with 'one, one-two step' kick patterns. The track ends as a definite highlight of the album. This overall sound transfers onto the later tracks “Breaking Windows” and “Stop Believing In Me,” spreading out a beautiful tone so as not to become repetitive and allow each song’s individuality to be made manifest.

The final tracks of the album place a strong emphasis on vocals, especially the last song, “Land Mines.” Lynman explores an unyielding range as acoustic guitar transforms and builds up with layers distant orchestral instrumentation and spacious piano that channels Lynman’s emotions. Ultimately, the album closes with a unified sweep of vocals, guitar, and piano that prove to be the polar opposite of its start. After about 50 minutes, Living Like Kings comes to a glorious conclusion.

We take risks every day. Whether they are substantial or not, is up to us and our decisions. These five gentlemen took their chances. They decided to take the risks. And what do they have to show for it? A sonic work of art. Living Like Kings In Confined Spaces is an album that contemporary artists take 3 or more albums to craft. It is again noteworthy that this is Halos’ debut. Though Living Like Kings is a collection of new and old songs, the tracks seam together flawlessly and as whole break free from many confinements that modern rock, and music in general, is subject to. The album is special, not only as a solid compilation of bright, meaningful tracks but as a milestone of accomplishment to a group of friends who have devoted themselves and given up everything for the sake of following their deepest wishes. Expect big things to come from Halos. Their journey has just begun.

Sounds Like... The Dear Hunter mixed with Manchester Orchestra; Hints of Death Cab For Cutie - Codes & Keys

Official Website; Official Facebook; Official Twitter; Buy the album

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
05:41 PM on 11/22/11
killerclownbros
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Really nice review! There is so much depth to this album (can't believe this is their first full length), extremely enjoyable.
07:40 PM on 11/22/11
Steve Alcala
facebook.com/stevealcalaart
User Info.
Really nice review! There is so much depth to this album (can't believe this is their first full length), extremely enjoyable.
Thank you very much! I'm glad to see others appreciate this album as much as I do. It's fantastic
08:57 PM on 11/22/11
HanLuk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Really diggin your reviews lately man, keep it up.
09:03 PM on 11/22/11
Steve Alcala
User Info.
Really diggin your reviews lately man, keep it up.
Thank you, good sir!
02:34 PM on 11/25/11
justbradley
User Info.
I'm verrrrrrrry interested in hearing this. Good review, too!

EDIT: I love this record. I'm so glad I read this review. :)
02:48 PM on 11/25/11
Saves7The7Day
User Info.
this is a great album....I have been following this band since early EP's . Definitly check these guys out, their album has been in my rotation since I got it this summer. They do have a manchester feel...a little more ambient feel.
08:46 PM on 11/25/11
Steve Alcala
User Info.
I'm verrrrrrrry interested in hearing this. Good review, too!

EDIT: I love this record. I'm so glad I read this review. :)
That means a lot, glad you love it
07:49 PM on 11/26/11
xXrunninglateXx
User Info.
Great review; much love goes out to Dan & the boys! Gotta push great musical art to the front of the line so here's to hoping they receive the recognition they deserve in 2012 + beyond!
07:53 PM on 11/26/11
Steve Alcala
User Info.
Great review; much love goes out to Dan & the boys! Gotta push great musical art to the front of the line so here's to hoping they receive the recognition they deserve in 2012 + beyond!
Thanks! And yeah they deserve some recognition, they seem like awesome dudes and would love to see them on a tour near me. I see it around the bend for them!
08:45 AM on 11/28/11
DejaMe
It's a funny thing this life.
User Info.
Their vocalist reminds me of Mr. Lacey which is certainly not a bad thing in my book. Surprised no one else has picked up on that or it wasn't mentionned in the review. Enjoy this album and looking forward to see what the future holds for these guys.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos