AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Rihanna - Loud Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 8.5
Production 9
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 88%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.15
Musicianship 5.15
Lyrics 4.47
Production 5.2
Creativity 4.88
Lasting Value 4.18
Reviewer Tilt 4.1
Average: 49%

Rihanna - Loud

Reviewed by: Dystroxia (11/21/11)
RihannaLoud
Record Label: Def Jam
Release Date: November 12, 2010

Rihanna, an artist with a music career larger than her hometown of Saint Michael, Barbados, is back with her fifth studio album, titled Loud. It is nice to see her steer away from her darker side (most likely due to the violent end to her relationship with singer Chris Brown) that her previous album, Rated R, presented to us almost exactly a year before this album came out. Loud is more positive and upbeat, showing Rihanna’s positive side, and therefore, her personality throughout the album is refreshing and leaves you wanting more.

The album kicks off with “S&M,” a song that shows off her sexual side (“Cause I may be bad, but I’m perfectly good at it. Sex in the air, I don’t care, I love the smell of it!”), as well as her dark side since “chains and whips” excite her. However, the song sounds too identical to the album’s lead single, “Only Girl (In the World),” a song with more passion than any of her past lead singles (with the exception of “Umbrella”). “What’s My Name,” a mid-tempo song featuring heavy reggae, features rapper Drake (whose verse is playful, yet interesting), as Rihanna shows strong lyricism (“You got that something that keeps me so off balance. Baby you’re a challenge, let’s explore your talent”). The chorus is one of the best parts of the whole album (“Hey boy, I really wanna see if you can go downtown with a girl like me. Hey boy, I really wanna be with you cause you just my type, oooh na na na na.”). “Man Down” still explores the unwelcomed dark side of Rihanna. It is a song about murdering a man, as she is on a full-blown mission to seek revenge. All I can be reminded of from "Man Down" his her violent past.

“Cheers (Drink to That),” a song that samples a part of “With You” by Avril Lavigne, has been done many times, but it doesn’t matter because it sounds really attractive and fun. There is a two-way tie for the album’s best song. “California King Bed” is a rock ballad that has more emotion than any song on this album. The song is about a love that she wants to reclaim. She goes into detail on how close she was to this “love” (“Chest to chest, nose to nose, palm to palm, we were always just that close”). Rihanna’s softness and vulnerability is rare to hear (mainly because she doesn’t show it), and it is a nice surprise for her to change it up. There is also “Skin,” the album’s other best song. Provocative and sexual without being explicit (Don’t hold back you know I like it rough), this is a tune that you are more than likely going to hear while being seduced. She holds nothing back on this track, and it’s nice to hear her fully express her sexual emotions through the rhythm of the beat. “Skin” ends with a nice guitar solo that is reminiscent of something Slash would do. The album ends with “Love the Way You Lie, Part II,” the sequel to Eminem’s smash hit, “Love the Way You Lie.” This time, Rihanna takes dominancy and gives her side to the story. It is a pleasing album ender as we wait for Talk That Talk to enter our lives.

Unfortunately, Loud has its weak moments; however, most are excusable. “Complicated” is derivative, and just because Rihanna can bust her vocal cords does not necessarily mean that it is a good song. The song’s production is top-notch, but the rest of the song is boring and feels underwhelming. “Raining Men,” which features Nicki Minaj, is good, but it doesn’t do anything different. Despite these songs being less than stellar, they are far from bad tracks and are not skip-material.

Rihanna is a consistent R&B and pop artist, and honestly, that is all anyone can ask for. Even though she releases her albums too soon, Rihanna can always offer something new without rehashing her old music. She is a force to be reckoned with; no one—not even Katy Perry, who currently has five consecutive number-one hits from ONE album—is going to stop Rihanna’s reign of singles reaching the top spot on the Hot 100. Loud is a near masterpiece, and any Rihanna fan should be foolish not to have this album in their collection.

Recommended If You LikeRihanna's Good Girl Gone Bad, dance hall mixed with reggae, awesomeness

Favorite TracksCalifornia King Bed, Skin, Only Girl (In the World), What's My Name?

Follow Rihanna on Twitter!

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 61
11:06 AM on 11/21/11
Minty Mouth
User Info.
I like a good pop album as much as the next guy (this isn't good, but that's beside the point), but does this really belong here?

Either way, I think Rihanna is one of the most stagnant pop acts right now--'Loud' being a consistently dull and tasteless album.
11:25 AM on 11/21/11
Dystroxia
We found love in a hopeless place
User Info.
If Lady Gaga and Ke$ha can get reviewed on this site, so can Rihanna. Stop bitching.
02:01 PM on 11/21/11
Steve Alcala
"Counting Fish"
User Info.
I think Rihanna is one of the most stagnant pop acts right now--'Loud' being a consistently dull and tasteless album.

Yep.

And its not like she doesn't have talent, she can write catchy songs.
But good lord S&M makes me cringe.
04:48 PM on 11/21/11
Henry Ferreira
@Henry_csf
User Info.
I like a good pop album as much as the next guy (this isn't good, but that's beside the point), but does this really belong here?

Either way, I think Rihanna is one of the most stagnant pop acts right now--'Loud' being a consistently dull and tasteless album.

I have to agree with this as well.

Nothing against her talent or anything but, professionally, Rihanna is an example of what I call a "Major-Labeled-Sexual-Performer clichism".
03:04 AM on 11/22/11
tuuttuut
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Lyrics: 8.25? This has to be a troll review.
07:00 AM on 11/22/11
Caleb Cabrera
gooby pls
User Info.
No.
/thread
07:02 AM on 11/22/11
Dystroxia
User Info.
"Welcome to AP.net, where the score matters more than the review."
09:55 AM on 11/22/11
SLoT
Stage three has begun.
User Info.
Fucking haters up in this motherfucker right now. Album's dope man. I'm with you. You knew though, walking in here with a Rihanna review people were going to snap at you because it's mainstream pop, which makes it safe, which makes it the worst thing to ever exist.

The album is a discs worth of safer pop jams, but they're still jams. I don't look at scores because that's arbitrary. Glad to see someone besides me like Rihanna on this site.
11:23 AM on 11/22/11
Dystroxia
User Info.
Fucking haters up in this motherfucker right now. Album's dope man. I'm with you. You knew though, walking in here with a Rihanna review people were going to snap at you because it's mainstream pop, which makes it safe, which makes it the worst thing to ever exist.

The album is a discs worth of safer pop jams, but they're still jams. I don't look at scores because that's arbitrary. Glad to see someone besides me like Rihanna on this site.

This is why you are easily in my top five favorite posters on this site!

I'm also glad to see someone who likes Rihanna as much as I do (well, I love her actually lol)

Thank you for defending me
11:24 AM on 11/22/11
Dystroxia
User Info.
To the people who don't like Rihanna: I reviewed Talk That Talk, and you should see the review by the end of the week

Have fun hatin'
09:12 PM on 11/22/11
t.web4
Gone
User Info.
The "haters" just don't like Rihanna, no big deal. I'm sure there's certain music you don't like...
01:08 AM on 11/23/11
thatalexkid
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This review really could be worded better, it reads like a high school essay.

And though she is an amazing singer, an album with all the lyrics and music written for her doesn't really speak volumes about her own talent. It's hard to believe these lyrics really reveal much about her personal life when she doesn't write any of them.

Finally does a Rihanna review really fit on a website called absolutepunk?
07:46 AM on 11/23/11
Dystroxia
User Info.
The "haters" just don't like Rihanna, no big deal. I'm sure there's certain music you don't like...

You're right...I shouldn't have used the word haters

This review really could be worded better, it reads like a high school essay.

And though she is an amazing singer, an album with all the lyrics and music written for her doesn't really speak volumes about her own talent. It's hard to believe these lyrics really reveal much about her personal life when she doesn't write any of them.

Finally does a Rihanna review really fit on a website called absolutepunk?

lol

She writes part of the lyrics, so in a sense it does reflect on her personal life

There's no boundaries as to what can be reviewed here, so in that case, I'm reviewing Rihanna.
08:13 AM on 11/23/11
Minty Mouth
User Info.
I don't think she has a single writing credit on this album. (Unlike her previous material, where she has a few here and there).
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests