On November 29 in North America and December 5 internationally, EMI Music will launch an extensive campaign honoring the legacy of THE SMASHING PUMPKINS by reissuing the iconic alternative band’s first two albums--GISH(1991)and SIAMESE DREAM (1993), certified platinum and 4X platinum respectively--in CD, deluxe 2CD/DVD, vinyl LP, and digital configurations. Both albums, each with bonus content and special features that were curated from the band’s archives by founding member Billy Corgan, have been painstakingly remastered for the first time from the original master tapes by Bob Ludwig.
With the full support and guidance from THE SMASHING PUMPKINS--who’ve created one of the most acclaimed bodies of work in musical history, selling over 30 million albums--EMI’s global catalog reissue campaign will last through 2013; it will encompass all the band’s albums and B-sides from 1991-2000, with other release dates to be announced. The pivotal group’s many hits defined the alternative music era and continue to resonate on modern rock radio, influencing a whole new generation. Gish highlights include “I Am One,” “Siva” and “Rhinoceros,” while Siamese Dream features “Cherub Rock,” “Today” and “Disarm.” Both groundbreaking albums were produced by Butch Vig and Billy Corgan.
As THE SMASHING PUMPKINS get the fully remastered treatment via these reissues, the band is excited to be moving forward by creating new music. After touring America and Europe this fall--the trek launched October 5 in Los Angeles and wraps December 8 in Lisbon--they will release OCEANIA, “an album within an album,” as part of their in-progress 44-song work TEARGARDEN BY KALEIDYSCOPE. Featuring 13 new songs, OCEANIA will be released in early 2012 (further details TBA).
For the GISH and SIAMESE DREAM liner notes, Billy Corgan was interviewed by journalist/author David Wild. Corgan reflects on why these albums were hard-won triumphs for the band and discusses the origins of the songs.
In the SIAMESE DREAM liner notes, Corgan says: “We start the album out with ‘Cherub Rock’ which is basically my big F.U. to the indie world. If you read the lyrics, that was basically me railing against the hipper than thou New York indie mentality.”
Here are the special features about both reissues:
· Deluxe versions of Gish and Siamese Dream will each include a bonus disc of rare and previously unreleased audio content.
· Deluxe versions of Gish and Siamese Dream also contain a never-before-released live show from the Metro in Chicago on DVD. The 10-song live show in the Gish package is from 8/25/90; the 17-song live show in the Siamese Dream package is from 8/14/93. Both DVDs feature introductions by Joe Shanahan, owner of the Metro in Chicago.
· The Gish bonus disc will include brand new Butch Vig mixes of the original Sub Pop single tracks “Tristessa” and “La Dolly Vita.”
· Vinyl has been mastered specifically for the format.
· Housed in special lift-top box packaging, the deluxe versions feature liner notes and track by track commentary from Billy Corgan, never-before-seen collages and photos, postcards and more.
GISH (DELUXE EDITION)
1. I am one
4. Bury me
9. Window paine
1. Starla (2011 mix)
2. Siva (Peel session)*
3. Honeyspider (Reel Time demos / 2011 mix)
4. Hippy Trippy (Crush Music Box demo)
5. Snail (live radio performance)
6. Plume (2011 mix)
7. Bury Me (Reel Time demos / 2011 mix)
8. Daydream (Old House demo)
9. Tristessa (Sub Pop single / 2011 mix)
10. Girl Named Sandoz (Peel session)*
11. Jesus Is The Sun (Apartment demo)
12. Blue (Gish sessions demo)
13. Smiley (Gish sessions demo)
14. I Am One (Reel Time demos / 2011 mix)
15. Seam (Suffer / Apartment demo)
16. La Dolly Vita (2011 mix)
17. Pulseczar (Gish sessions demo)*
18. Drown (alternate guitar solo)
All songs previously unreleased except where indicated.*
Live at The Metro, Chicago, IL 8/25/90
1. I am one
4. Bury Me
6. Window Paine
8. Sookie Sookie
10. Crush - Acoustic
SIAMESE DREAM (DELUXE EDITION)
1. Cherub rock
8. Geek U.S.A
12. Sweet sweet
1. Pissant (siamese sessions rough mix)
2. Siamese dream (broadway rehearsals demo)
3. STP (rehearsal demo)
4. Frail and bedazzled (soundworks demo)
5. Luna (apartment demo)
6. Quiet (bbc session/bc mix)
7. Moleasskiss (soundworks demo)
8. Hello kitty kat (soundworks demo)
9. Today (broadway rehearsal demo)
10. Never let me down again (bbc session)*
11. Apathy's last kiss (siamese sessions rough mix)
12. Ache (silverfuck rehearsal demo)
13. U.S.A. (soundworks demo)
14. U.S.S.R. (soundworks demo)
15. Spaceboy (acoustic mix)
16. Rocket (rehearsal demo)
17. Disarm (acoustic mix)
18. Soma (instrumental mix)
All songs previously unreleased except where indicated.*
Live At The Metro, Chicago, 8/14/93
5. Geek U.S.A.
7. I am one
11. Cherub rock
12. Bury me
The Smashing Pumpkins continue to be a unique and imaginative musical force. They are deep into recording a 44-song work TEARGARDEN BY KALEIDYSCOPE, the first nine songs from which are available via their website (two elaborately packaged limited edition EPs were made available and quickly sold out). As part of this project, they will release the 13-song OCEANIA, “an album within an album,” in early 2012 (details TBA). The group’s leader BILLY CORGAN has said the band’s new music “harkens back to the original psychedelic roots of The Smashing Pumpkins; atmospheric, melodic, heavy, and pretty.” The Smashing Pumpkins have created one of the most acclaimed bodies of work in musical history and sold over 30 million albums. Formed in Chicago in 1988, they released Gish, their influential (and platinum) debut in 1991, which was followed by more platinum and multi-platinum albums including the nine-time platinum Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness and the four-time platinum Siamese Dream as well as the platinum certified 1998 album Adore. The pivotal group’s many hits defined the alternative music era and continue to resonate on modern rock radio, influencing a whole new generation. The Pumpkins returned in 2007 with their gold-certified and acclaimed sixth album Zeitgeist, which entered the charts at Number 2 in the U.S. and in the Top Ten internationally. Since their triumphant return to the stage in 2007, the Pumpkins have headlined some of the biggest events around the globe including the Reading Festival, Rock Am Ring, and the V fest. In 2008, the band was inducted into Hollywood’s RockWalk. Their first post-major label release was the song “Superchrist,” issued via the Guitar Center CD Fresh Cuts Vol. 2. They subsequently recorded the song--the modern rock hit--“G.L.O.W.” for the Guitar Hero® World Tour game, marking the first time a band has recorded a new song exclusively for the franchise. In November 2008, the band released their first live DVD, If All Goes Wrong.