Username
Password
Contest News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Contest
Inside AP.net

Contest: Smashing Pumpkins Boxset

Posted by: Jason Tate (11/21/11)
Today we're giving away a deluxe Smashing Pumpkins' boxset for their first album, Gish. The band is releasing two new boxsets on November 29th, and all of the information on those can be found in the replies. If you'd like to win a copy, reply to this news post with why you're the biggest Smashing Pumpkins fan, and we'll pick a winner and send you one.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 65
01:37 PM on 11/21/11
Jason Tate
User Info.

GISH:
Remastered & Reissued for the First Time

INCLUDES:
  • Original Album Remastered With Reimagined Cover Art
  • 15 Previously Unreleased or Alternative Versions of Gish Era Songs
  • Previously Unreleased, Full Length DVD From The Metro 1990
  • 6 Postcards Featuring Never-Before-Seen Band Photos
  • 24-page Booklet Featuring Complete Lyrics, Liner Notes by David Wild, and Track-by-Track Annotations by Billy Corgan
01:40 PM on 11/21/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
On November 29 in North America and December 5 internationally, EMI Music will launch an extensive campaign honoring the legacy of THE SMASHING PUMPKINS by reissuing the iconic alternative band’s first two albums--GISH(1991)and SIAMESE DREAM (1993), certified platinum and 4X platinum respectively--in CD, deluxe 2CD/DVD, vinyl LP, and digital configurations. Both albums, each with bonus content and special features that were curated from the band’s archives by founding member Billy Corgan, have been painstakingly remastered for the first time from the original master tapes by Bob Ludwig.

With the full support and guidance from THE SMASHING PUMPKINS--who’ve created one of the most acclaimed bodies of work in musical history, selling over 30 million albums--EMI’s global catalog reissue campaign will last through 2013; it will encompass all the band’s albums and B-sides from 1991-2000, with other release dates to be announced. The pivotal group’s many hits defined the alternative music era and continue to resonate on modern rock radio, influencing a whole new generation. Gish highlights include “I Am One,” “Siva” and “Rhinoceros,” while Siamese Dream features “Cherub Rock,” “Today” and “Disarm.” Both groundbreaking albums were produced by Butch Vig and Billy Corgan.

As THE SMASHING PUMPKINS get the fully remastered treatment via these reissues, the band is excited to be moving forward by creating new music. After touring America and Europe this fall--the trek launched October 5 in Los Angeles and wraps December 8 in Lisbon--they will release OCEANIA, “an album within an album,” as part of their in-progress 44-song work TEARGARDEN BY KALEIDYSCOPE. Featuring 13 new songs, OCEANIA will be released in early 2012 (further details TBA).

For the GISH and SIAMESE DREAM liner notes, Billy Corgan was interviewed by journalist/author David Wild. Corgan reflects on why these albums were hard-won triumphs for the band and discusses the origins of the songs.

In the SIAMESE DREAM liner notes, Corgan says: “We start the album out with ‘Cherub Rock’ which is basically my big F.U. to the indie world. If you read the lyrics, that was basically me railing against the hipper than thou New York indie mentality.”

Here are the special features about both reissues:

· Deluxe versions of Gish and Siamese Dream will each include a bonus disc of rare and previously unreleased audio content.
· Deluxe versions of Gish and Siamese Dream also contain a never-before-released live show from the Metro in Chicago on DVD. The 10-song live show in the Gish package is from 8/25/90; the 17-song live show in the Siamese Dream package is from 8/14/93. Both DVDs feature introductions by Joe Shanahan, owner of the Metro in Chicago.
· The Gish bonus disc will include brand new Butch Vig mixes of the original Sub Pop single tracks “Tristessa” and “La Dolly Vita.”
· Vinyl has been mastered specifically for the format.
· Housed in special lift-top box packaging, the deluxe versions feature liner notes and track by track commentary from Billy Corgan, never-before-seen collages and photos, postcards and more.

GISH (DELUXE EDITION)

Disc 1:
1. I am one
2. Siva
3. Rhinoceros
4. Bury me
5. Crush
6. Suffer
7. Snail
8. Tristessa
9. Window paine
10. Daydream

Disc 2:
1. Starla (2011 mix)
2. Siva (Peel session)*
3. Honeyspider (Reel Time demos / 2011 mix)
4. Hippy Trippy (Crush Music Box demo)
5. Snail (live radio performance)
6. Plume (2011 mix)
7. Bury Me (Reel Time demos / 2011 mix)
8. Daydream (Old House demo)
9. Tristessa (Sub Pop single / 2011 mix)
10. Girl Named Sandoz (Peel session)*
11. Jesus Is The Sun (Apartment demo)
12. Blue (Gish sessions demo)
13. Smiley (Gish sessions demo)
14. I Am One (Reel Time demos / 2011 mix)
15. Seam (Suffer / Apartment demo)
16. La Dolly Vita (2011 mix)
17. Pulseczar (Gish sessions demo)*
18. Drown (alternate guitar solo)

All songs previously unreleased except where indicated.*

DVD
Live at The Metro, Chicago, IL 8/25/90
Introduction
1. I am one
2. Snail
3. Rhinoceros
4. Bury Me
5. Tristessa
6. Window Paine
7. Razor
8. Sookie Sookie
9. Godzilla
10. Crush - Acoustic

SIAMESE DREAM (DELUXE EDITION)

Disc 1:
1. Cherub rock
2. Quiet
3. Today
4. Hummer
5. Rocket
6. Disarm
7. Soma
8. Geek U.S.A
9. Mayonaise
10. Spaceboy
11. Silverfuck
12. Sweet sweet
13. Luna

Disc 2:
1. Pissant (siamese sessions rough mix)
2. Siamese dream (broadway rehearsals demo)
3. STP (rehearsal demo)
4. Frail and bedazzled (soundworks demo)
5. Luna (apartment demo)
6. Quiet (bbc session/bc mix)
7. Moleasskiss (soundworks demo)
8. Hello kitty kat (soundworks demo)
9. Today (broadway rehearsal demo)
10. Never let me down again (bbc session)*
11. Apathy's last kiss (siamese sessions rough mix)
12. Ache (silverfuck rehearsal demo)
13. U.S.A. (soundworks demo)
14. U.S.S.R. (soundworks demo)
15. Spaceboy (acoustic mix)
16. Rocket (rehearsal demo)
17. Disarm (acoustic mix)
18. Soma (instrumental mix)

All songs previously unreleased except where indicated.*

DVD
Live At The Metro, Chicago, 8/14/93
Introduction
1. Rocket
2. Quiet
3. Today
4. Rhinoceros
5. Geek U.S.A.
6. Soma
7. I am one
8. Disarm
9. Spaceboy
10. Starla
11. Cherub rock
12. Bury me
13. Hummer
14. Siva
15. Mayonaise
16. Drown
17. Silverfuck

The Smashing Pumpkins continue to be a unique and imaginative musical force. They are deep into recording a 44-song work TEARGARDEN BY KALEIDYSCOPE, the first nine songs from which are available via their website (two elaborately packaged limited edition EPs were made available and quickly sold out). As part of this project, they will release the 13-song OCEANIA, “an album within an album,” in early 2012 (details TBA). The group’s leader BILLY CORGAN has said the band’s new music “harkens back to the original psychedelic roots of The Smashing Pumpkins; atmospheric, melodic, heavy, and pretty.” The Smashing Pumpkins have created one of the most acclaimed bodies of work in musical history and sold over 30 million albums. Formed in Chicago in 1988, they released Gish, their influential (and platinum) debut in 1991, which was followed by more platinum and multi-platinum albums including the nine-time platinum Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness and the four-time platinum Siamese Dream as well as the platinum certified 1998 album Adore. The pivotal group’s many hits defined the alternative music era and continue to resonate on modern rock radio, influencing a whole new generation. The Pumpkins returned in 2007 with their gold-certified and acclaimed sixth album Zeitgeist, which entered the charts at Number 2 in the U.S. and in the Top Ten internationally. Since their triumphant return to the stage in 2007, the Pumpkins have headlined some of the biggest events around the globe including the Reading Festival, Rock Am Ring, and the V fest. In 2008, the band was inducted into Hollywood’s RockWalk. Their first post-major label release was the song “Superchrist,” issued via the Guitar Center CD Fresh Cuts Vol. 2. They subsequently recorded the song--the modern rock hit--“G.L.O.W.” for the Guitar Hero® World Tour game, marking the first time a band has recorded a new song exclusively for the franchise. In November 2008, the band released their first live DVD, If All Goes Wrong.

01:48 PM on 11/21/11
Nick Hull
I want you to know
User Info.
I'm not their biggest fan, not by a long shot, but it would be totally rad to win this.

edit: mellon collie and the infinite sadness is such a solid album.
01:49 PM on 11/21/11
pulsar
User Info.
I became a fan of the Smashing Pumpkins when I got a copy of Siamese Dream on cassette when I was 9 years old. They were the band that made me want to be a musician. I saw them play live in Las Vegas on the Mellon Collie tour two years later in 1996 when I was 11. That was my first concert and it changed my life.

Adore is one of my favorite albums, and I still listen to it to fall asleep sometimes (I know that sounds like a weird compliment to make, but in this case I mean it as one). I thought Machina was a great record, especially coming out in the face of nu metal and boy band pop that was popular at the time.

Even with the lineup changes and changes in musical direction, I have remained a fan and they will always be my favorite band.
01:52 PM on 11/21/11
amorning_ofsleep
Drink 23 more
User Info.
I'm not the biggest Pumpkins fan, but fucking shit this would be awesome to have.
01:53 PM on 11/21/11
Steve Alcala
"Counting Fish"
User Info.
I play as Billy Corgan on guitar hero.

Top that.
01:55 PM on 11/21/11
topsecret
User Info.
I listened to Zwan. Is that enough?
01:56 PM on 11/21/11
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Being a Smashing Pumpkins fan is a lot like being a fan of The Smiths: both have frontmen who are undeniably talented songwriters who became voices and pillars in their own time, but were also two of the most despised, polarizing, arrogant, outspoken assholes in music. There probably aren't any two indie musicians that get as much hate as Moz and Billy Corgan, despite the fact that they are very very good musicians.

But aside from them, they also have two of the greatest guiarists backing them up. This is why we can still hate the dudes but love their music.

My introduction to SP is probably like many users on this site and that was through the double album, Mellon Collie and the Infinate Saddness - which might be one of the greatest studio double albums ever. Everything about that album still feels both dark and childlike and nostalgic and dreamy. There's no better was to be introduced to SP than Mellon Collie. There's immense variation through the record and it stands up well now and it will continue to in the future.

It's hard to say now how SP will be remembered in the future. One thing's for certain though: the saga will always begin and end with one of the most famous frontmen Billy Corgan - for better or worse. And this is the record that started it all.
01:57 PM on 11/21/11
Mr.Kilgannon
Illuminate
User Info.
I remember the first time hearing the Smashing Pumpkins. In a weird twist of events, my mom is actually the one that got me to listen to them. I had never really trusted her judgement on music, as she was always listening to crappy radio pop. But she gave me her copy of Mellon Collie, and I was hooked. There was just something about them that was so unique to me, and I hadn't heard any other band like them. I remember first hearing Thru the Eyes of Ruby, and just being blown away.

I quickly took to getting the rest of their albums, and fell in love with each and every one of them. Regardless of the lineup changes, Billy still manages to craft unique and great music, and still push through all the criticism that he is given. I'm glad to be a fan of a band that constantly changes up their sound for each album. While many aspects change, they still remain the same band, and Billy's vocals are always consistent and sound great. Even Zeitgest, and album that was seen as basically a failure by many and caused a huge drop in fans, it still had unique aspects of the band I first fell in love with.

With the release of Oceania coming, I can barely contain my excitement. After hearing the new songs live that will be on the album, they've shown that they're about to put out one of their best albums. If those songs I heard sound as good as they did live, then Oceania will be amazing. It's good to see one of my favorite bands still being active, and refusing to be a greatest hits act like so many other bands have become. This band has helped me through so much over the years, and it's great to know that they'll continue to be there for me in the years to come as well.
01:59 PM on 11/21/11
lidoscotty
Lido Beach / Scotty
User Info.
I wrote a facebook status about the Pumpkins without knowing about this contest. I also performed "Cherub Rock" at a Talent Show in 1997. I'm a huge fan and I love you.
02:02 PM on 11/21/11
anamericangod
User Info.
The first CD I bought was The Smashing Pumpkin's Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness.

I had originally purchased the cassette for my badass Sony Walkman, but my mom read the lyrics and decided it was too sinful for me, so it got tossed out. I went on a secret mission the next day and bought the CD.
02:06 PM on 11/21/11
Atticus_86
User Info.
I stole billy corgan's lushes locks from the barber that shaved his head...i sleep with it every night for good luck. so far my house has been repossessed and my wife has left me for a blacker man. But then this announcement was made, i feel that a corner has been turned and the hair is starting to work its glorious magic...
02:10 PM on 11/21/11
HeavenResign
Registered Member
User Info.
The Smashing Pumpkins was one of those bands I got to bond with my Dad over. The teenage years for me were pretty fucking weird between me and my Dad at times, like any other father son relationship. I remember being twelve and looking through his CD rack to find Mellon Collie and The Infinite Sadness and being a bit shocked: it was maybe for the first time that I really saw my Dad as his own person. That sounds terribly stupid to me now because I love my Dad more than anything, but it's weird to look back and think when you're younger you don't really see your parents as autonomous beings, you're so self focused. But I asked him if it was okay if I borrowed the CDs from him to listen to, and he was pretty happy about that (at the time I was mostly listening to metal which he wasn't a fan of). From there I stole his taste in R.E.M., Nirvana, and Depeche Mode. But Smashing Pumpkins kinda started it all off.

So maybe I'm not the bigest Smashing Pumpkins fan, but if I won this, I'd give it to my Dad as a birthday present as his birthday is January 1st.
02:21 PM on 11/21/11
zep_jamb
Ridiculously Adequate
User Info.
I bought Zwan. I thought that was pretty nice of me.
Also, I refused to go see them last year. They were such an important band to me that I could not bear to ruin that memory by going to see Billy Corgan and whoever could put up with him at the time.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests