AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Various Artists - Punk Goes Pop Volume 4 Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 5
Musicianship 5
Lyrics N/A
Production 5
Creativity 5
Lasting Value 5
Reviewer Tilt 5
Final Verdict: 50%
Member Ratings
Vocals 3.06
Musicianship 3.56
Production 3.06
Creativity 2.69
Lasting Value 1.63
Reviewer Tilt 2.81
Average: 28%

Various Artists - Punk Goes Pop Volume 4

Reviewed by: Niko John (11/21/11)
Various Artists - Punk Goes Pop Volume 4
Record Label: Fearless Records
Release Date: November 21, 2011

Punk Goes Pop Volume 4 is the fourth album by Fearless Records in the semi long-running Punk Goes Pop compilations. Since 2002 the Punk Goes Pop albums seem to have a long running tradition of having a few decent covers and then the rest be terrible; or at least less then decent. Unfortunately Punk Goes Pop Volume 4 does not break this tradition. While there are some wonderful covers, the majority of the album is void of any creativity and, at times, just plain good musicianship.

While listening to this album I made sure to think of two things for each song. Did the band make the song their own and if not did they at least make it fun/ enjoyable to listen to? The album contains heavy hitters such as Silverstein, Pierce the Veil, Woe Is Me, Go Radio and A Skylit Drive. It also contains weak picks such as Chunk! No Captain Chunk!, Allstar Weekend (yes Allstar Weekend is in this. How they are even remotely "punk" is beyond my comprehension) and I See Stars.

The best songs on the album were by the big league bands. Pierce the Veil did a wonderful cover of "Just the Way You Are" with Vic Fuentes bringing a lot of life to the song with his great voice, more so then Bruno Mars. Woe Is Me took "Last Friday Night" by Katy Perry and made it into something that was fun yet brutal at the same time, turning it into their own song. It is easily recognizable as a Woe Is Me song (whether you think that is good or bad is up to you). Go Radio did a fantastic job with "Rolling in the Deep" with Jason Lancaster absolutely killing the vocals by putting in more emotion then even Adele herself. Tonight Alive did a great rendition of "Little Lion Man" and A Skylit Drive did the best cover on the album with "Love the Way You Lie" by Eminem. You can tell they wanted to put out something great and it absolutely shows.

That is about it. The rest of the 13 songs were either semi-decent or downright bad.

The problem with the rest of the songs is that there is absolutely no creativity in any of them. Allstar Weekends cover of "Yeah 3X" shows just that. Literally the entire song is beat for beat exactly the same as the original. They just added new vocals here, a guitar chord there and drum beats here. This isn't a one song fault either. This wouldn't be that bad if the vocals were good (e.g Pierce the Veil or Go Radio), but there not. It also seems like to try to "liven it up" some of the bands just threw in random breakdowns and screams. There is no organization or coherence. Chunk! No Captain Chunk! did the worst cover on the album, seemingly throwing in every screamo cliche just for the hell of it, not thinking about if it actually sounded good. Not even Silverstein did that great with "Runaway". They took it to seriously and the song over stays it's welcome by about 3 minutes. I don't need to nor do I want to hear three minutes of the same two guitar chords at the end of the song being repeated over and over again. Not needed at all.

So while some of the songs are great, the rest fall victim to a lack of creativity and coherence. Some of these bands really need to learn that just throwing in a breakdown does not make a song good. It must be well timed and fit within what type of cover you are trying to do. Hopefully with the 5th iteration of Punk Goes Pop Fearless will learn from their mistakes. But with four albums in and no change in sight I really don't think they are going to learn their lesson anytime soon.

5/10

Additional InformationRecommended If You Like:
Punk Goes Pop 1,2,3

Track Listing:

1. "Just the Way You Are" - Pierce the Veil
2. " Little Lion Man" - Tonight Alive
3. " Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F)" - Woe, Is Me
4. "Roll Up (feat. Mod Sun)" - The Ready Set
5. "F**K You" - Sleeping with Sirens
6. "Rolling in the Deep" - Go Radio
7. "You Belong with Me" - For All Those Sleeping
8. "We R Who We R" - Chunk! No, Captain Chunk!
9. "Love the Way You Lie" - A Skylit Drive
10. "Yeah 3X" - Allstar Weekend
11. "Till the World Ends" - I See Stars
12. "Runaway" - Silverstein
13. "Super Bass" - The Downtown Fiction

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 21
09:30 PM on 11/27/11
cubine
www.facebook.com/truthunderattack
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
A Skylit Drive's cover on this is fucking awful. The worst scene garbage I've heard in I don't know how long.

Silverstein's Runaway cover was excellent, though. Runaway is a longass song to begin with so I don't know why you'd complain about them sticking to the source material. The "unnecessary" 3 minutes gets my spine tingling every time.
09:51 PM on 11/27/11
gr33ndayfr3ak
www.nickferran.com
User Info.
You need a few grammar lessons, buddy.
11:06 PM on 11/27/11
all time (joe)
you are what you do
User Info.
agreed.
02:59 AM on 11/28/11
Prae Omnia
User Info.

This
03:35 AM on 11/28/11
blue_light_888
User Info.
For the record, I feel like this is better than the past two comps combined.

Decent review, though.
05:15 AM on 11/28/11
Spencer Control
Yeah I still burn from time to time
User Info.
72? Holy cow.
07:04 AM on 11/28/11
Caleb Cabrera
gooby pls
User Info.
Hold on, Imma let you finish, but Silverstein had one of the best covers on any Shit Goes Shit album of all time.

Seriously? A Skylit Drive? I'm a fan, but that was terrible.
07:17 AM on 11/28/11
WeWereGiants
Cold hands, Lips blue
User Info.
A Skylit Drive made the "WORST" cover on this album, using all the screamo cliches they could. Chunk! did a much better cover, I actually think this is possibly the best of the ...Goes Pop series and the best Punk Goes... since Acoustic 2 (which is still the best.)

Also Punk Goes Pop 1 actually features Punk bands and sounds VERY different from this one.
08:01 AM on 11/28/11
Caleb Cabrera
gooby pls
User Info.
Also Punk Goes Pop 1 actually features Punk bands and sounds VERY different from this one.
This.
08:51 AM on 11/28/11
TheRealJohnOC
@BehindtheCade Seen 701 bands live!
User Info.
A Skylit Drive's cover on this is fucking awful. The worst scene garbage I've heard in I don't know how long.

Silverstein's Runaway cover was excellent, though. Runaway is a longass song to begin with so I don't know why you'd complain about them sticking to the source material. The "unnecessary" 3 minutes gets my spine tingling every time.
Couldn't agree more! Shane and the boys killed it note for note (minus the rap) lol
09:31 AM on 11/28/11
PurgeTheseDays
User Info.
Couldn't read past the first paragraph. The grammatical errors were too distracting.
09:35 AM on 11/28/11
camperfrequency
Troy and Abed in the Morning!
User Info.
Silverstein's cover of "Runaway" is the best song on the album. There are like two other songs that are even worth acknowledging.
11:05 AM on 11/28/11
DampPants4
User Info.
I do agree with most people here, silverstein's cover is pretty great. The only two I like more are Tonight Alive's Little Lion Man and Go Radio's Rolling in the Deep, but that's my personal opinion. I don't think A Skylit Drive's cover is as bad as everyone is making it out to be. It can be enjoyable. Certainly it's better than Woe Is Me's cover - talk about useless breakdowns, this band mastered those. There's about a minute in the song where I can't tell if I'm listening to a cover, or any other Woe is Me song.
12:28 PM on 11/28/11
cnushart
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Covers are so much fun because you get a brand new song by one of your favorite bands, but you already know the words. That being said, A Skylit Drive, Pierce the Viel, Tonight Alive, and Woe is Me are having fun on this album - and my ears appreciate hearing pop songs in the style of music that I like.

Silverstein did one of the best covers to appear on these albums, for me personally, because I don't listen to Kanye. No, the cover isn't all that different than the original, but in this case it made me look up the original and appreciate a song I honestly never gave a chance before. That's a successful cover.

Go Radio's version of Adele is complete shit. It's not surprising either, considering they're a watered down version of what made Mayday Parade so good back in the day, that they would make a watered down version of a boring mid-tempo pop song. That one had disaster written all over it. Go Radio covering Adele, what a joke.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests