Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 3 posts.
08:52 AM on 11/23/11
Sean Rizzo
Can you see evidence of perfection?
User Info.
Understanding one's audience is important, I'll grant that, but I feel like this is precariously close to talking at them rather than to them. The characterization of the community, while accurate to some extent, is far from universal; the AP indie contingent is strong and growing.
I'd wager that my characterization applies to a rather sizable chunk of users based on what I've seen discussion-wise, since people talk about what they're interested in.

Quote:
The "you might not like this immediately, but that's OK, keep trying, and some day you might have awesome taste like me" tone is kind of insulting-- who wants to be told about their lack of sophistication?-- as well as counter-productive.
This totally misjudged my intentions, and I have no idea how you decided that I was elitist in the first place. It sounds to me like you jumped to conclusions based on an imagined tone.

Quote:
Why not present something you like as something that's natural to like rather than something that's out-of-reach for the majority.
Not everything comes naturally. Expanding one's taste parameters to include new genres sometimes takes time and repeated exposure.

Quote:
I'd conject that if anyone checks this out and doesn't care for it, it's not for their lack of hipness, but rather that it's not anything to get excited about in the first place.
I'm concerned with people not checking it out because of their lack of "hipness" (whatever that means, though I'm supposing that it means ignorance about the genre), not if they just plain don't like it.
11:13 AM on 11/23/11
Sean Rizzo
Can you see evidence of perfection?
User Info.
Yes, and now my suspicions have been confirmed.

Quote:
Given that you like this, how does that not paint yourself as "one of superior taste"? Likewise,
That statement says nothing about superiority. It's at best inferred, and that's only after accepting the rather nebulous notion that narrow and wide palates can be scaled in terms of superiority.

Quote:
is a rather presumptuous statement. How does that not portray the readership as unwashed masses who are perhaps unready to appreciate this?
I won't deny that it does, but to paint what I said as if it was a blanket statement is a complete misrepresentation. I used the word "many" instead of "all" for a reason. All I know is that it will happen, and has, based on Hidden in NJ's response. The frequency of that is, again, up for debate.

Quote:
Listen, I'm all about diverse coverage on AP. I think it's something we've worked hard to foster. I just thought we had progressed past the point of having to introduce anything other than three-chord pop-punk as alien or erudite.
As much as I'd like to believe this, I don't think it's happened yet.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests