AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Comments: Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 33
07:03 AM on 11/29/11
B.Leibo
User Info.
I seriously suggest you check out the original Little Lion Man because Tonight Alive took a complete metaphorical dookie on great track. Im not just saying this because im a fan of Mumford and Sons but because they literally butchered it to the point it has no heart left.

Firstly the original boasts a great pure vocal performance that is unique. This version takes all the grit out and leaves it with some crazy up and down computer Hayley Williams that gives you a headache. (If the bitch from Tonight Alive can't sing, she shouldnt try, let alone be allowed to contribute to crap like this, she should go on x-factor if she wants to do cheap karaoke)

Secondly the original demonstrates some excellent musician ship. This version replaces all the lush layers of guitar, banjo and mandolin with some generic riffage that half resembles the original melody.

As for the rest of this compilation:
AT LEAST THE FIRST FEW HAD BANDS COVERING GENUINE POP SONGS. (I Melt With You, Heaven Is A Place on Earth). The new ones just take mediocre bands and let them butcher mediocre current chart music.

First you sign All Time Low Fearless, Now this, i dont think i can ever forgive you

Haters gonna hate. She actually has a pretty phenomenal voice, the issues that arise are, 1. Every female vocalist is comapred to Hayley Williams and 2. it was originally done by Mumford and Sons, they were groundbreakingly refreshing and will be incons in due time. Maybe with the acception of Adele, the only original artists on this compelation with any talent are Mumford and Sons, so atleast Tonight Alive took a risk. This is like comparing Envy on the Coast to Bob Dylan/Jimi Hendrix on the Watchtower cover. Envy was one of my favorite bands (R.I.P), great band in their own right, but if you compare them to Dylan/Hendrix, they'll fall short everytime. That being said, they are covers, which is taking an original song and adding your own touch/flavor to it, no body wants a clone of the original... which is exactly why the Ready Set failed miserably. I however do agree that Fearless is out of control with these complelations, they need to step back, I feel like some bands are forced into these solely because they are signed to the label when they should be letting them focus on making their own music.
07:30 AM on 11/29/11
gusta0117
nacho abalafa barnacle loofties
User Info.
This album is terrible.

Remember when Pop Goes Punk use to have punk covers?
07:56 AM on 11/29/11
blue_light_888
User Info.
It's always quite intriguing how divergent opinions are on these. I know there's always a split on everything, but it tends to be particularly severe whenever Punk Goes.. is involved.

Originally Posted by LGFUAD21
re: Little Lion Man

For the record, I listened to the original Little Lion Man for the first time today (and in the process, became a fan of Mumford & Sons) and my opinion of the cover hasn't changed much. I definitely agree that a few things are lost in the transition, but I also feel that the cover stands both on its own merits and as a worthier, angrier interpretation. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Thanks for making me aware of this awesome band, though!

I dug your structure alot, really organized, but your diction is back and forth between great and immature, your analogy's are foolish sounding at times, too mock-clever

As you can tell, I was having fun and got carried away
08:53 AM on 11/29/11
Handraa
.-.-.-.-.
User Info.
I liked the way you reviewed this, but it kinda came off as annoying.
09:03 AM on 11/29/11
MyMindIsASafe
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Agree with most of this review - Silverstein and Go Radio's covers were massive. Think I like GR's cover more than the original.
09:08 AM on 11/29/11
Henry Ferreira
@Henry_csf
User Info.
Agree with most of this interview - Silverstein and Go Radio's covers were massive. Think I like GR's cover more than the original.
This.
02:18 PM on 11/29/11
Sherry116
Regret Is A Beginning
User Info.
This album is terrible.

Remember when Pop Goes Punk use to have punk covers?

Thank you
02:26 PM on 11/29/11
Moses Malone
And nothing of value was lost
User Info.
I thought Silverstein's version of Runaway was the standout track. Pierce the Veil and Woe Is Me's contributions are hard not to listen to, and kind of fun, but not very good. And, uhh, Love the Way You Lie sounded exactly the way I expected it to sound. Other than that, nothing else is very redeemable to me.
03:53 PM on 11/29/11
justbradley
User Info.
This is a terrible record. It's a compilation, yes, but it's terrible. The only song I thought was going to be decent was Tonight Alive's "Little Lion Man" cover because I LOVELOVELOVE Mumford & Sons but no. Sadly, they butchered that song to the point where I'd mistaken it for a terrible pop-punk song. Every cover on here sounds like it was half-assed, honestly. The only good one was the Silverstein cover, because that's the only band I truly respect on that. All the others sound exactly the same, and really boring. I wish Fearless would actually get punk bands to do these, not other pop bands.
09:23 PM on 11/29/11
CircaSin
The All-New 2014 Corolla
User Info.
How you listened to this shitstorm of a compilation before listening to Mumford and Sons is astounding.
12:43 AM on 11/30/11
DampPants4
User Info.
Didn't expect there to be so many mumford and sons die hards. The original Little Lion Man is amazing, and I also think the cover is splendid. I agree with most of what the reviewer said. Thought the Woe is Me cover was lower than a D+ though haha. Overall great review, good job.
03:40 AM on 11/30/11
blue_light_888
User Info.
How you listened to this shitstorm of a compilation before listening to Mumford and Sons is astounding.

Because I didn't even know who Mumford and Sons was before people brought it up in the comments?

By the way, thank you for all of the feedback on this review, everybody! Glad to see that the discussion has remained very nice and helpful in this thread~
03:24 PM on 11/30/11
NorthstarPark
Jiggin'
User Info.
I like how you did a track by track review, but this comp is really bad and horrible. I listened to the clips on Amazon and could barely get through all of them.
06:59 PM on 11/30/11
LGFUAD21
User Info.
Calm down, I don't think they were trying to match the emotion of the original, I think they were trying to make a fun cover.
its not even a fun cover. It's just trash
07:05 PM on 11/30/11
LGFUAD21
User Info.
Haters gonna hate. She actually has a pretty phenomenal voice, the issues that arise are, 1. Every female vocalist is comapred to Hayley Williams and 2. it was originally done by Mumford and Sons, they were groundbreakingly refreshing and will be incons in due time. Maybe with the acception of Adele, the only original artists on this compelation with any talent are Mumford and Sons, so atleast Tonight Alive took a risk. This is like comparing Envy on the Coast to Bob Dylan/Jimi Hendrix on the Watchtower cover. Envy was one of my favorite bands (R.I.P), great band in their own right, but if you compare them to Dylan/Hendrix, they'll fall short everytime. That being said, they are covers, which is taking an original song and adding your own touch/flavor to it, no body wants a clone of the original... which is exactly why the Ready Set failed miserably. I however do agree that Fearless is out of control with these complelations, they need to step back, I feel like some bands are forced into these solely because they are signed to the label when they should be letting them focus on making their own music.
Fair point. But if she has a good voice then why have they put all this auto-tune on it to screw it up. It's not even like it adds to the song in anyway. I agree with not comparing it to the original yet not also wanting a carbon copy but this is just poor.

A lot of these covers are poor. Someone else mentioned above about bands needing to learn how to properly use screaming. Like the Taylor Swift cover. They have essentially taken the lyrics and written a really bad metal song and included song whiny brat doing the chorus every once in a while.

I like covers that re-work songs (i try to do it myself at open mic nights, which is why i avoid covering obvious acoustic songs) but a good example of a band putting their own stamp on a song is like Biffy Clyro doing Buddy Holly by Weezer. Or even ADTR doing Since You've Been Gone. And as for Envy doing Watchtower i thought that was a good effort it sounds different purely based on the voice. They gave it a more southern feel.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos