AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Ted Leo & the Pharmacists - Living With the... Album Cover

Ted Leo & the Pharmacists - Living With the...

Reviewed by
Ted Leo & the Pharmacists – Living With the Living
Record Label: Touch and Go
Release Date: March 20, 2007

Listen. Repeat. Listen. This album is a grower.

I've been a Ted Leo fan for a while now, and Living With the Living was my most anticipated album coming into the year 2007, but I felt like after three great full length releases the fourth might be a letdown. Let's face it, no band is perfect and once in a while they'll make an album that is just sub par. With Ted Leo, that's totally not the case. Some people call him too political, others say he's not political enough, but whatever you want to say just call him great.

"The Sons of Cain" and "Army Bound" are two of my favorite songs on the album and they just happened to be the first two that we hear. On previous albums, Ted focused on great music to pull the listener in. On some of his older songs, like "Where Have All The Rude Boys Gone?" (Hearts of Oak), he used flowing guitar progressions and simple drum beats to make his mark. On Living With the Living, he uses catchy choruses and great lyrics. Hey, I'm not complaining.

I think the most unheralded song on the album is "A Bottle Of Buckie." In the song, Ted strays away from his norm and turns out an acoustic ballad of time spent with a loved one as they drink Buckie (or wine) on the shores of a river in Scotland. When I first listened to it, I was left kind of feeling empty. It did nothing for me. Upon listening to it more, I was quite surprised by it. It's the kind that Ted doesn't normally write, but it shows just one of the many things that he has to offer: versatility.

The studio version of "Some Beginner's Mind" is the song I had wanted to hear the most on the album. Having heard it live, I was enthralled, and then hearing it again on the finished version of Living With the Living I was once again in love. Easily my favorite song on the album, it is a high energy rock tune with a fantastic guitar solo in the middle. The type of song you would expect Ted to write. Simple and catchy.

The first time I listened to the album as a whole, it kind of made me scratch my head...I was left with mixed feelings. When I listened to it two or three more times, it did nothing but grow on me. Ted Leo has once again proved his versatility and talent by creating an album with nothing but great rock tunes that leave you wanting yet another album. If you haven't listened to Ted Leo yet, what are you waiting for? The time is now.

From start to finish, this is one of the most perfect albums created this year.

http://www.tedleo.com/
http://www.myspace.com/tedleo

Track Listing
  1. "Fourth World War" - 0:35
  2. "The Sons of Cain" - 3:59
  3. "Army Bound" - 3:11
  4. "Who Do You Love?" - 4:14
  5. "Colleen" - 3:05
  6. "A Bottle of Buckie" - 3:11
  7. "Bomb.Repeat.Bomb." - 3:18
  8. "La Costa Brava" - 5:56
  9. "Annunciation Day/Born on Christmas Day" - 1:33
  10. "The Unwanted Things" - 4:33
  11. "The Lost Brigade" - 7:28
  12. "The World Stops Turning" - 3:26
  13. "Some Beginner's Mind" - 3:50
  14. "The Toro and the Toreador" - 6:09
  15. "C.I.A" - 6:33
If you order the album from iTunes you get a free bonus track entitled "The Vain Parade."
This review is a user submitted review from Broken Parachute. You can see all of Broken Parachute's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9
05:02 PM on 07/29/07
TakingBackDowd
a pig in a cage on antibiotics
User Info.
so definitely worth a purchase? i was iffy about buying it.
05:06 PM on 07/29/07
itkeepsuswarm
User Info.
I need to listen to this more. I've gone through it about 3 times, and nothing really catches me. Although, the reggae-ish song "The Unwanted Things" was at one point, stuck in my head for a full two days.
05:25 PM on 07/29/07
decrescendo27
www.KillLincolnDC.com
User Info.
this album is fucking amazing

everyone needs to check it out
06:11 PM on 07/29/07
Broken Parachute
arte et labore
User Info.
so definitely worth a purchase? i was iffy about buying it.
Definitely.
06:12 PM on 07/29/07
Big_Guy
Idle Will Kill
User Info.
pretty good, but no Shake the Sheets
06:21 PM on 07/29/07
fowruok
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
It's excellent -- worth the purchase indeed.
12:19 AM on 07/30/07
Keatsey
User Info.
"A Bottle of Buckie" is so fucking good.

And so is this album. One of my favorites of the year so far.
09:48 PM on 07/30/07
Impreza WRX
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I couldnt really get into this. I liked Shake the Sheets though so maybe I need to give it a few more listens.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos