Password

Album Review
Making April - Runaway World EP Album Cover

Making April - Runaway World EP

Reviewed by
Making April- Runaway World EP
Released: May 30th, 2007
Unsigned

What’s the definition for the next big thing? According to dictionary.com, there are no dictionary entries for the next big thing. There is no way to define the next big thing but people do have their ways to say a band is going to be “the next big thing.” For a band to be successful, you need good management, good booking agent, supportive legal, and most of all a great fan base. Making April has every thing that was stated. This band hailing from Cortlandt Manor in New York, racking in 20,000 plays a day and approaching 100,000 friends on myspace; you would call this band an internet band. But there debut re-release Runaway World EP demonstrates what goods this band will perform live for you.

Runaway World has many moods and movements it offers to the piano rock ear. In every teen movie, there’s a love scene. “These Are The Nights” is the song that would be in the background sound. With vocals fluttering with words of remember nights and such, it’s a great way to open an album up. “I Wrote This Song” is a prime example of how the album has many different moods and movements. Coming from a soft opener, it goes straight into a pop piano upbeat piece. The EP continues with its upbeatness with “Driveway.” What’s impressive about vocalist Sean is how his voice has many ranges. This song is compiled with acoustic guitar riffs mixed with some electric. A soft upper register of piano makes the song easily a radio hit.

After coming from two upbeat songs, the tides turn into the depressing stage. “All Of Yours” is a typical song you could find on MTV’s Laguna Beach. Like Stephen and Kristen, things don’t work out in this piece. Sean states how he doesn’t want his girlfriend to say “we became too late well I just think you're humoring yourself let me say one more thing before you fly.” He’s wants to try it again, but he knows it won’t work out in the end. “Chase You Down” is pretty self explanatory. The character wants to chase her down, to get her. The next two pieces flirt with your ears. Starting off with soft piano the moods change somewhere in the middle of the song. “Jump In” brings in how important friends are. They are always going to be there for you. He doesn’t want to bother so he just says “and tell me when this gets better but don't be alarmed if I'm not here when you figure it out just call, I'll throw you a line.” He wants to give space. The EP is closed with three pieces. “Hurry Up And Wait” bringing in violins and some more acoustic guitar, stating how they want to escape their troubles and “haunting.” The EP is closed with the name of the EP, Runaway World (Acoustic). Stating how a girl can’t find commitment, Making April brings comparisons from The Fray mixed with Mae. She doesn’t want to hurt the person because of fear.

“Here's my heart for you” is what this whole EP is based on. Making April now brings you an album you wish Mae would make. It fills every emotion as well as every mood you can feel in life, except anger. Now back to the opening paragraph, what is the definition of “the next big thing?” Making April may have just given me a clear meaning with Runaway World.

If you like:Mae, The Fray, Postmark Twain, Beach nights, sweet summer romances

Myspace l Purevolume l Buy l Itunes

Track Listing:

1. These are the Nights
2. I Wrote This Song
3. Driveway
4. All of Yours
5. Chase You Down
6. Roses and Butterflies
7. Jump In
8. Runaway World
9. Hurry Up and Wait
10. Runaway World (Acoustic)[/fs]
This review is a user submitted review from tm decomposer. You can see all of tm decomposer's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
12:44 PM on 08/04/07
starcrossdlovex
Vicky.
User Info.
I absolutely love Making April.
12:24 PM on 08/20/07
rockdoggdx
Wannabe Rock Star
User Info.
good review. other than the cheesy opening dude, haha. but solid. i discovered these guys a couple years ago.. still havent seen them live, i'd love to.
07:08 AM on 08/25/07
tm decomposer
KEMBA WALKER 4 PREZ!!
User Info.
good review. other than the cheesy opening dude, haha. but solid. i discovered these guys a couple years ago.. still havent seen them live, i'd love to.

haha yeah, it was pretty bad.
05:54 PM on 02/10/09
denissuxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I really like this band, but the rating's a bit too high for me...

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos