Password

Album Review
Bleaklow - Sunless Country Album Cover

Bleaklow - Sunless Country

Reviewed by
Bleaklow - Sunless Country
Record Label: Independent
Release Date: October 12, 2011
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
A note before I begin: This EP exists in two forms that will both be available in a single copy of the EP. There is the full 22 minute version, and then there is the version that splits it up into a few tracks. I have chosen to review the 22 minute version so as to avoid excessive summarizing and focus on critique.

Who?

Bleaklow are a three-man post-rock outfit from the UK.

How is it?

Interestingly barren. What happens when a genre is stripped down and its layers of soundshaping production removed? We are left with the naked mechanics of an album, and it is always worth noting when a band manages to keep the core fundamentals of their music as engaging as the lush beauty that so often surrounds it. Sunless Country is a 22-minute monster of a single-track EP, combining the jazz-influenced delayed riffs of Circa Survive, the crunchy guitar work of early Thrice, the post-metal sensibility of Cloudkicker, and the post-rock definition of Mogwai. What impresses me about this EP is that all of this has been accomplished with minimal production relative to most other ambient releases. Tones are still there, but they are seldom ever noticed. Every strum of each guitar and bass note is clearly heard and appreciated for what it is, as are all the delays and distortions. It is very raw and a little rough around the edges, but the abrasive nature of the production suits the songwriting perfectly. As for that songwriting, it is more Cloudkicker-esque than anything, forging an almost mechanical theme for the duration of the EP, chugging and clanking along with intense precision and volume. This EP is perfect for those of you who enjoy gazing at the compositional mastery under the figurative hood of a well-crafted release, but may fall short for the emotionally-driven listener.

Recommended If You LikeCirca Survive, Thrice, Cloudkicker, Consciousness Removal Project, Mogwai, Parabelle - A Summit Borderline/A Drop Oceanic (production value)

External LinksFacebook, Bandcamp

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9
07:51 AM on 11/30/11
SeanGather
It's too bad she won't live
User Info.
Yeaah! Excellent record, best guys. So happy to see this reviewed on here.
12:12 AM on 12/01/11
gr33ndayfr3ak
www.nickferran.com
User Info.
You're a fantastic writer, Sean.
02:32 PM on 12/01/11
justbradley
User Info.
Love the review. Definitely gonna listen to this record.

Edit: This is a great EP. I love the fact that they put two versions of it on the single copy of the EP. It's great. But anyway, I love all your reviews, Sean. You're one of the writers I like reading stuff from on this site.
03:51 PM on 12/01/11
Sean Rizzo
Can you see evidence of perfection?
User Info.
You're a fantastic writer, Sean.
Thank you!!! <3
06:37 PM on 12/03/11
Sean Rizzo
User Info.
Love the review. Definitely gonna listen to this record.

Edit: This is a great EP. I love the fact that they put two versions of it on the single copy of the EP. It's great. But anyway, I love all your reviews, Sean. You're one of the writers I like reading stuff from on this site.
Thank you so much. Seriously, I appreciate all the encouragement more than you know.
06:47 PM on 12/03/11
justbradley
User Info.
Thank you so much. Seriously, I appreciate all the encouragement more than you know.
You're welcome, Sean. I love your reviews, mainly because you're into the same kinda stuff I am, so every time I read one of your reviews, it's usually something I'll listen to more than once.
07:10 PM on 12/03/11
Sean Rizzo
User Info.
You're welcome, Sean. I love your reviews, mainly because you're into the same kinda stuff I am, so every time I read one of your reviews, it's usually something I'll listen to more than once.
We should talk more about music then, haha.
08:08 PM on 12/03/11
justbradley
User Info.
We should talk more about music then, haha.
That would be fantastic, haha.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version