AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Article
« Back to Articles

Deborah Remus

Written by: Deborah Remus (12/01/11)
While 2011 was a decent year, I'm not into massive lists so I decided to keep mine short and simple. If for some reason you really want more picks, head to my AP.net blog to check out the Essential Listening entries I've been putting together since May.

Favourite Records of 2011:

10. Arkells - Michigan Left

I haven't had as much time with this since it came out in October, but two months later I'm still listening. It's not Jackson Square, but they've written some of the poppiest songs yet. "Book Club" is one of my favourite openers of 2011.

9. Spraynard - Funtitled

This band is a lot like Latterman, sometimes maybe too much, but I really like them anyway. "Spooky, Scary" is one of my favourites and while they're far from the first to sing about wasting time, it definitely sums up how I've felt this year.

8. Nothington - Borrowed Time

I think this is their best record yet. I remember getting the mp3 of "Ordinary Lives" to premiere on this site and just being blown away. It's a great punk song and the rest of this record is no different.

7. Joyce Manor - Joyce Manor

The fact that this came out in January and I'm still listening proves that it has some lasting power.

6. Basement - I Wish I Could Stay Here

These guys are probably my favourite new discovery of 2011. I just stumbled upon this record randomly and was immediately drawn to the vocals. And the tone is perfect for those early, dark and freezing Winnipeg nights.

5. Banner Pilot - Heart Beats Pacific

There's so many bands that play this style, but few of them are as good as Banner Pilot. I love the whole thing, but the first five tracks flow together perfectly. I love the dual vocals on "Spanish Reds."

4. Bomb The Music Industry! - Vacation

Another good record from this band. It's lots of fun and "Hurricane Waves" is still one of my favourite songs of 2011.

3. Frank Turner - England Keep My Bones

Some of my older favourites have disappointed me this year, but not Frank Turner. It seems like it's almost impossible for him to do something I don't like.

2. Brighter Brightest - Right For Me

Like lots of people on this site, I grew up on The Starting Line, Fall Out Boy and all those bands. I was so happy to finally find a younger band that actually gets it. There really is no filler on this record, each song has a strong hook and it's been in constant rotation since the release date in August.

1. Living With Lions - Holy Shit

There's a few reasons why I decided to give Living With Lions my top spot. For one, they've finally solidified their line-up with Bill and Stu and while I don't want to discount the previous guys, I love what they bring to this band and I feel like they're truly complete at this point. Secondly, I'm biased because they're western Canadian. And lastly, it's just a good record. No matter the location, my favourite song of 2011 is "Maple Drive Is Still Alive."

Most Disappointing:

Sum 41 - Screaming Bloody Murder

Ever since Dave Baksh left the band 5 years ago I've held out hope they might have another good record in them. But when this record dropped in March, I lost all hope. Some bands can pull off line-up changes, but Sum 41 is most definitely not one of them.

Best Shows:

Sharks and Mockingbird Wish Me Luck on June 14
Frank Turner, Andrew Jackson Jihad and Into It. Over It. on October 22
Living With Lions, Heartsounds and Dangercat on July 12
Tony Sly, Dave Hause, Mikey Erg and Greg Rekus on June 6
Blink-182, Rancid and Against Me! on August 25

Most Anticipated for 2012:

Billy Talent
Sharks - No Gods
Against Me!
The Menzingers
Broadway Calls

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 23
12:15 PM on 12/27/11
InaGreendase
Registered Member
User Info.
Excuse me, I think you're looking for Punknews.org. Down the hall and to the left.

JK
12:34 PM on 12/27/11
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
Awesome to see Brighter Brightest on someone's top ten.
12:43 PM on 12/27/11
kazuma_ootaro28
User Info.
I've been meaning to get that Basement album for a while now. I don't keep up with the genre that often, but Living With Lions' album was good.
01:28 PM on 12/27/11
cubsml34
A Class 3 KILLSTORM
User Info.
Nice choice with Living With Lions. I'm also super stoked for the Sharks record as well.
02:01 PM on 12/27/11
Tony Manning
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Spraynard was my favorite of the year. Cool to see them get some love. Awesome list.
02:20 PM on 12/27/11
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
Thanks everyone! Good to see other people liked the new Living With Lions and Spraynard records.

Excuse me, I think you're looking for Punknews.org. Down the hall and to the left.

JK

Haha. This list is probably similar to what they're putting together, but I doubt Punknews would ever include Brighter Brightest.

Awesome to see Brighter Brightest on someone's top ten.

Sometimes I think you and I are the only people on this site who realize just how amazing they are. Maybe I'm crazy, but I think they have the potential to reach the level Marianas Trench is at.
02:32 PM on 12/27/11
CBKRP
Registered Member
User Info.
Love the LWL pick at number one. Heartsounds Drifter beats it out for me though, they really were the two best bands on stage in the same night this year (Canmore for me)
02:56 PM on 12/27/11
Dre Okorley
User Info.

JK
Ha.

Quote:
Sharks - No Gods

Lovin the passive aggressive subtlety Deb
02:58 PM on 12/27/11
Dre Okorley
User Info.
LWL, Spraynard, Basement, FT, and Bomb! are who I've listened to and liked in this list, I should probs check out the others.
04:08 PM on 12/27/11
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
Ha.

Lovin the passive aggressive subtlety Deb

Huh? I feel like I'm missing something, I wasn't trying to be passive aggressive, haha. Anyway, if you're only going to check out one thing, check out Brighter Brightest. I don't know if you'll like it, but I personally can't get enough of that record.

Love the LWL pick at number one. Heartsounds Drifter beats it out for me though, they really were the two best bands on stage in the same night this year (Canmore for me)

If I was doing a bigger list, Heartsounds would've made the cut for sure.
04:09 PM on 12/27/11
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Huh? I feel like I'm missing something, I wasn't trying to be passive aggressive, haha. Anyway, if you're only going to check out one thing, check out Brighter Brightest. I don't know if you'll like it, but I personally can't get enough of that record.
I meant the drama with the album title earlier last week haha. Anyway yeah I'll check out BB!

Quote:
If I was doing a bigger list, Heartsounds would've made the cut for sure.
Yeah, they wouldn't have been on my list had I not expanded it to 30.
04:13 PM on 12/27/11
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
I meant the drama with the album title earlier last week haha. Anyway yeah I'll check out BB!

Yeah, they wouldn't have been on my list had I not expanded it to 30.

Gotcha, haha. I think it's pretty hilarious people still get offended by that stuff.
05:00 PM on 12/27/11
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
Sometimes I think you and I are the only people on this site who realize just how amazing they are. Maybe I'm crazy, but I think they have the potential to reach the level Marianas Trench is at.
I can definitely see them at that level, if a bigger label picks them up for the next album. It got a fair bit of attention from Much Music when it was first released, which was surprising. Everyday should have been all over the radio, but I don't think Black Box has that kind of push.

Have you checked out Lifestory: Monologue's album yet?
05:37 PM on 12/27/11
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
I can definitely see them at that level, if a bigger label picks them up for the next album. It got a fair bit of attention from Much Music when it was first released, which was surprising. Everyday should have been all over the radio, but I don't think Black Box has that kind of push.

Have you checked out Lifestory: Monologue's album yet?

I'm not too surprised MuchMusic has supported them. It's their demographic and they're required to support a certain amount of Canadian content by law. But it's true a bigger label would give them a much bigger push.

And yeah, I listened to the Lifestory record when it came out. There were some good songs, but it didn't stick with me. I'm not usually into that sort of stuff though.
Options

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version