AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Article - Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 54.
07:30 AM on 12/28/11
ThisIsNotDan
User Info.
Thanks Dan. Can't wait to see your list. Front Bottoms was one of the best surprises I found this year. I can't stop listening to "Boredom is the Reason I Started..." I've probably started to listened to more folk this year than I've ever done before.
yeah that album surprised the hell out of me. a few tracks are pretty skippable for me ("The Beers" "Hooped Earrings") but otherwise it's fantastic
02:34 PM on 12/28/11
mymusicismylife
Disgruntled wheat thins enthusiast
User Info.
:thumbsup: check out the playlist. I definitely picked a few duds from some of those artists because I was kind of hustlin through it...but it'll give you sneak peaks with what they're all good at.
For sure. List inspired me to listen to Trap Them and Aficionado again today - so great.
07:40 PM on 01/01/12
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
User Info.
Aficionado was my #2 album of the year. Still pretty surprised they haven't caught on more--especially after seeing them live for the first time the other night! So great!
08:17 PM on 01/01/12
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Dre is becoming one of my favorite staff members. Best addition.
Haha, thanks.
08:18 PM on 01/01/12
Dre Okorley
User Info.
For sure. List inspired me to listen to Trap Them and Aficionado again today - so great.
Aficionado was my #2 album of the year. Still pretty surprised they haven't caught on more--especially after seeing them live for the first time the other night! So great!
<3 So glad to see the Aficionado love. I think they're criminally underrated.
08:28 PM on 01/01/12
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
User Info.
<3 So glad to see the Aficionado love. I think they're criminally underrated.
Definitely agree on the "underrated" front. Sadly, I think they've arrived just a bit too late to ride Say Anything's coat tails but I'm holding out hope. This album was one of the few this past year to hit me hard where it counts.

Did you ever check out the Stereo State? I feel like they'd be right up your alley.
08:50 PM on 01/01/12
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Definitely agree on the "underrated" front. Sadly, I think they've arrived just a bit too late to ride Say Anything's coat tails but I'm holding out hope. This album was one of the few this past year to hit me hard where it counts.

Did you ever check out the Stereo State? I feel like they'd be right up your alley.
Say Anything? I don't listen to them, but if that's who they sound similar to then hey...I honestly wasn't able to pinpoint their sound because they sound like a combination of random things.

Stereo State-- yep. I think I'd said they sounded like a lukewarm HWM, but I couldn't get into them. Might have been the production quality, too. I think I'll give it another go, though. Which album do you recommend?
09:01 PM on 01/01/12
bobsheiskawy
www.facebook.com/misewell
User Info.
not to nitpick, but didn't echoes of silence come out on 12/21?
09:02 PM on 01/01/12
Dre Okorley
User Info.
not to nitpick, but didn't echoes of silence come out on 12/21?
Ah, good catch! Hope you find something you like in here.
09:28 PM on 01/01/12
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
User Info.
Say Anything? I don't listen to them, but if that's who they sound similar to then hey...I honestly wasn't able to pinpoint their sound because they sound like a combination of random things.

Stereo State-- yep. I think I'd said they sounded like a lukewarm HWM, but I couldn't get into them. Might have been the production quality, too. I think I'll give it another go, though. Which album do you recommend?
Say Anything is a vague comparison in terms of general sound, attitude, etc. Vocally, the dude sounds dead-on like Tim Kasher (Cursive/Good Life) or Travis from Piebald.

As for the Stereo State, the Hot Water Music comparison confuses the fuck out of me, haha. I'd liken them to something along the lines of...A skate punk band covering Samiam songs or something like that. And the production on their latest release is ridiculously solid--Trevor from A.W.S. did it. Maybe you're confusing bands, or listening to an older release? Or maybe our opinions differ drastically here? I don't know. Haha.

I would recommend going with Have All My Friends Gone Deaf?
09:31 PM on 01/01/12
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Say Anything is a vague comparison in terms of general sound, attitude, etc. Vocally, the dude sounds dead-on like Tim Kasher (Cursive/Good Life) or Travis from Piebald.

As for the Stereo State, the Hot Water Music comparison confuses the fuck out of me, haha. I'd liken them to something along the lines of...A skate punk band covering Samiam songs or something like that. And the production on their latest release is ridiculously solid--Trevor from A.W.S. did it. Maybe you're confusing bands, or listening to an older release? Or maybe our opinions differ drastically here? I don't know. Haha.

I would recommend going with Have All My Friends Gone Deaf?
Aficionado - but musically who would you compare them to?

Stereo State - I think it's their first demo/EP stuff haha. Thanks for the rec, too.
09:38 PM on 01/01/12
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
User Info.
Aficionado - but musically who would you compare them to?

Stereo State - I think it's their first demo/EP stuff haha. Thanks for the rec, too.
Aficionado -- Say Anything isn't too far off, in that it has crunchy guitars and "interesting" song structures that aren't typical. Piebald isn't a totally unfair comparison either, and neither is Cursive. I struggle with full-blown comparisons too. It's more that they sound like a bunch of different parts of a number of bands.

The Stereo State -- Yeah, their first E.P. is nowhere near as good as the new record production-wise (just for posterity, it was called Caffeine, Beer, & Quoting Movies). But the HWM comparison is still confusing to me. It's just fast, melodic punk rock. The newer stuff is a bit more mid-tempo, but everything is improved all around. Definitely worth checking out! Let me know what you think when you do. :)
09:53 PM on 01/01/12
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Aficionado -- Say Anything isn't too far off, in that it has crunchy guitars and "interesting" song structures that aren't typical. Piebald isn't a totally unfair comparison either, and neither is Cursive. I struggle with full-blown comparisons too. It's more that they sound like a bunch of different parts of a number of bands.

The Stereo State -- Yeah, their first E.P. is nowhere near as good as the new record production-wise (just for posterity, it was called Caffeine, Beer, & Quoting Movies). But the HWM comparison is still confusing to me. It's just fast, melodic punk rock. The newer stuff is a bit more mid-tempo, but everything is improved all around. Definitely worth checking out! Let me know what you think when you do. :)
Aficionado -- Hmm, maybe I should listen to SA then? haha. What I mostly mean are the exotic elements that really stand out in the band. The flute, the dramatic piano, horn sections etc. Perhaps they draw their influences from all sorts of bands to create such a uniquely ambiguous sound.

The Stereo State - If I could find the actual songs I'm referring to, I'd be able to explain more of what I mean. But even through my searches I can see PN also made mention of it, including the label who probably got it from the band.

Anyway, I'll def let you know what I think when I listen to it. I'm almost positive we had this convo before...in fact, the funny part is I think you agreed with the HWM statement haha.
10:11 PM on 01/01/12
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
User Info.
Aficionado -- Hmm, maybe I should listen to SA then? haha. What I mostly mean are the exotic elements that really stand out in the band. The flute, the dramatic piano, horn sections etc. Perhaps they draw their influences from all sorts of bands to create such a uniquely ambiguous sound.

The Stereo State - If I could find the actual songs I'm referring to, I'd be able to explain more of what I mean. But even through my searches I can see PN also made mention of it, including the label who probably got it from the band.

Anyway, I'll def let you know what I think when I listen to it. I'm almost positive we had this convo before...in fact, the funny part is I think you agreed with the HWM statement haha.
I think one of the great things about Aficionado is that they seem to have elements of all sorts of bands in their sound. At their core, though, they're a tightly wound, presumably punk- and/or indie-rock inspired band. The other elements are little flourishes, as opposed to "gimmicks" as some bands tend to use them for. If that makes sense.

The Stereo State - I would say that fans of Hot Water Music would dig them, and that they have a tight rhythm section in common with one another. But I think the influences of Samiam, the Bouncing Souls, and Dinosaur Junior are all stronger here. And vocally, the dude sounds way smoother than both Chris and Chuck (which, in my eyes--the vocals are what really sets HWM apart from other bands).
10:18 PM on 01/01/12
Dre Okorley
User Info.
I think one of the great things about Aficionado is that they seem to have elements of all sorts of bands in their sound. At their core, though, they're a tightly wound, presumably punk- and/or indie-rock inspired band. The other elements are little flourishes, as opposed to "gimmicks" as some bands tend to use them for. If that makes sense.

The Stereo State - I would say that fans of Hot Water Music would dig them, and that they have a tight rhythm section in common with one another. But I think the influences of Samiam, the Bouncing Souls, and Dinosaur Junior are all stronger here. And vocally, the dude sounds way smoother than both Chris and Chuck (which, in my eyes--the vocals are what really sets HWM apart from other bands).
Aficionado - For sure, which is why I was surprised you could narrow down and compare an aspect of their sound. I enjoy the fact that I can't really compare them to any one band.

The Stereo State - Yeah, I wouldn't compare Chuck Ragan to them. Hardly when I compare bands am I comparing vocalists because most bigger bands have their own unique vocals (that's part of what gives bands a forward push). Usually I listen to guitar parts and style...as that's what I can identify with most as a guitarist. Not really familiar enough with BS' and DJ's work, but I'll for sure be checking out TSS' new stuff.
Options

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version