Password

Album Review

Recover - Ceci N'Est Pas Recover Album Cover

Recover - Ceci N'Est Pas Recover

Reviewed by
RecoverCeci N'Est Pas Recover
Release Date: 2002
Record Label: Fiddler Records
Five years ago a band called Recover from Austin, Texas (pronounced ‘Awesome,’ Texas) released an EP none of their fans could pronounce the name of – Ceci N’Est Pas Recover. The title is of little importance, since all that matters is the music. And it rocks - hard.

Recover walk a genre divide well by minimizing a full on hardcore sound with the subdued vocals of Dan Keyes. To put it another way, Keyes actually sings on the EP, so even cynics of the ‘screamo’ tag can find enjoyment in Ceci N’Est Pas Recover.

Two opening themes explored in the song “Push Push” are fear and hopelessness. Rhythmic hand claps at its start can’t deter from somber lyrics involving the tragedy of dependency. And as they sway with their sound Recover struggle between becoming lost in their pain ("Push Push") and fighting against it ("Sleeper").

Second vocalist Robert Mann joins Keyes in “My Only Cure,” and from that point on the two tackle gang vocal duties reminiscent of Taking Back Sunday circa Tell All Your Friends. Hopelessness is replaced by raw aggression as Mann grates his vocal chords during verses with lines such as, ‘All the blood in my body / Is pouring out slowly / You’re the reason why / I am unholy.’ Keyes remains fluid while singing the choruses and offsets Mann’s rougher style beautifully.

Recover complete their brief EP by using Keyes and Mann to the full potential for the closing track “Inhale Water.” A soft piano intro is hastily replaced by mean guitar riffs and dual vocals culminating in a chorus featuring the best lyrics of the release: ‘And I still can’t decide / If I’m dead or just not alive / I want to keep breathing / Just not in my own skin.’

The piano attempts to build itself back up for an interlude, but Recover quickly tear it down with a final chorus and a graphic message. As if giving up on the calm hopelessness introduced earlier, both singers shout one last brutal image to close the EP: ‘I’ll stab myself to death / I’ll tie you up and make you watch it.’

With its schizophrenic messages and bitter onslaught of emotion, Ceci N’Est Pas Recover is recommended to anyone who finds themselves in a place they can’t escape and is pissed off about it.
This review is a user submitted review from Adrian Villagomez. You can see all of Adrian Villagomez's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 16
11:41 AM on 07/21/07
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
Easily the band's best release.
11:56 AM on 07/21/07
ACA
Next Show: Balance & Composure @ NY
User Info.

qft
12:34 PM on 07/21/07
The Revisionist
Loves shittyass pop music
User Info.
While I disagree with that, this is a fantastic EP.
01:07 PM on 07/21/07
moises_naruto
moises_naruto
User Info.
i love this band to death... yeah it was their best work
01:22 PM on 07/21/07
ThisIsNotDan
User Info.
it is their best, but that shouldn't stop you from checking out their other two cds.

nice one, adrian
02:08 PM on 07/21/07
bowarrowapple
MustacheRodeo
User Info.
its all sooo good!
02:17 PM on 07/21/07
B-Bones
"The Christlike Christian"
User Info.
I miss Recover oh so much. They are pretty much the funnest band ever. I saw them so many times cause they worked their asses off touring. One time when I saw them the guitar player started bleeding when he was playing and his blood was splattering all over the pick guard or his white guitar and he made no effort to stop it. The next time I saw them was three months later and his guitar was still covered in dried blood. That shit is so fucking tough. I miss the hell out of this band. RxIxPx Recover. Let's all hope for a reunion tour very, very soon because Young Love just isn't cutting it. Also, does anyone know if Robert Mann has another band going now?
03:07 PM on 07/21/07
abusedcat
Long Gone Before Daylight
User Info.
I miss Recover oh so much. They are pretty much the funnest band ever. I saw them so many times cause they worked their asses off touring. One time when I saw them the guitar player started bleeding when he was playing and his blood was splattering all over the pick guard or his white guitar and he made no effort to stop it. The next time I saw them was three months later and his guitar was still covered in dried blood. That shit is so fucking tough. I miss the hell out of this band. RxIxPx Recover. Let's all hope for a reunion tour very, very soon because Young Love just isn't cutting it. Also, does anyone know if Robert Mann has another band going now?
Robert tours with Young Love.
04:26 PM on 07/21/07
weworemasks
save the drama for wilmer valderama
User Info.

agreed x 100.

i love this ep. best band out of texas in the "scene."
04:27 PM on 07/21/07
weworemasks
save the drama for wilmer valderama
User Info.
oh and the reunion show a few weeks back was amazing. everyone who didn't go should be jealous of me starting: now.
07:37 PM on 07/21/07
tm decomposer
KEMBA WALKER 4 PREZ!!
User Info.
I fuckin love you for this even more.

BUMP THE RECO THREAD!
08:48 AM on 07/22/07
InaGreendase
Registered Member
User Info.
Full on hardcore sound? Gah?

Yep.
01:16 PM on 07/24/07
abusedcat
Long Gone Before Daylight
User Info.
I need to buy an actual copy. iTunes was my only hope for getting this because no store stocks Recover. I'll buy it oneday.
05:28 PM on 10/18/07
winnertakeall
User Info.
Brian McTernan Baby!!!!!.....Great Great Producer.....their follow up major label release was WAY over produced....they should have kept McTernan.....their loss

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos