AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Botch - American Nervoso Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 8
Production 7.75
Creativity 8.25
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.75
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 7.88
Production 7.63
Creativity 8.38
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.13
Average: 81%
Inside AP.net

Botch - American Nervoso

Reviewed by: Tom Good (07/22/07)
BotchAmerican Nervoso (Re-release)
Release Date: July 10th 2007
Record Label: Hydra Head Records

Hot on the heels of reissue of Unifying Themes Redux comes another re-release for arguably one of the most influential acts in the hardcore scene. American Nervoso is Botch’s first full-length effort for Hydra Head and is the predecessor to the band’s critically acclaimed apex We Are The Romans. Why reissue an album that originally came out 10 years ago now? Didn’t Botch break up? Well, yes they did, but there is debatably no better time for this album to get the proper release it deserves. Many bands in the current metal/math/whatever-core genre have built upon the foundations that Botch laid; American Nervoso is where the ground was first broken.

Although not together anymore, Botch has left a legacy that is too noisy to be ignored. Surprisingly, members of the band went on to form groups that are still making headway today such as Minus The Bear, These Arms Are Snakes and Roy. Although Botch is stylistically the furthest thing from Minus The Bear, Dave Knudson’s guitar playing is no less influential. His playing has developed into one of those instantly recognizable techniques where just a few notes give away his identity. Dissonant chords and notes that have no business being paired together sound downright demonic when accompanied by the driving pulse of the band. “John Woo” is a perfect example of Botch’s talent in taking pure and utter noise and making it something wholly cohesive and oddly rhythmically catchy. “Oma” is controlled chaos at its finest. The double-time shred fest melts into an eerily melodic piano outro that acts as a perfect intermission before the blistering hardcore resumes, never letting up again until the final cymbal crashes. Although many tracks incorporate the same basic principles, songs never sound rehashed due to the unique song structures and sheer cacophony of Dave Verellen screaming at the forefront.

Much like the various special editions and re-releases of DVDs, the bonus material is a large reason for the reissue. The disc contains 5 bonus tracks, which range from newly released material to demos of songs that appear on the original album. Some, such as “Stupid Me” are worth the listen, but the demos are limited to die hard fans only. The entire disc has been remixed and re-mastered, tightening up the rough edges of the production from the initial disc. The tweaking of the production is a welcome change that sounds noticeably better from my old copy of the disc. Every twang and second of feedback emitted from Dave Knudson’s squealing amp is now audible to a new level of detail. If you have yet to get the disc, there is no better time than now, however, if you already have a copy, the new version might not be different enough to merit another purchase.

If you listen to Norma Jean or Underoath and have yet to hear Botch, then I suggest you go out and pick up a copy of American Nervoso and We Are The Romans right now for a look at how those bands were pioneered. I was a little nervous as to how this album would hold up when I revisited it for a review. Bands like the above have massive fan bases and the genre has become saturated to the point that many bands are starting to sound the same. I was pleasantly surprised at how well this album holds up after such a long time with so much competition. The disc is not as strong or influential as We Are The Romans, but is not weak by any means and is also widely available for the first time in a while. While not vastly different from the original release, the reissue of American Nervoso is definitely worth a listen for those not familiar with the bands early material and is a must for any fan, if only as an updated endearing reminder of the legacy left by Botch.

Tracklisting1. Hutton’s Great Heat Engine
2. John Woo
3. Dali’s Praying Mantis
4. Dead For A Minute
5. Oma
6. Thank God For Worker Bees
7. Rejection Spoken Softly
8. Spitting Black
9. Hives
10. Stupid Me
11. Spitting Black (Extended Version)
12. Hutton’s Great Heat Engine (Demo)
13. Rejection Spoken Softly (Demo)
14. John Woo (Demo)
Listen to BotchMyspace | Purevolume | Hydra Head Records Site

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 18
12:06 PM on 07/22/07
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
For a free stream of the whole album, go HERE
03:07 PM on 07/22/07
Nowisnotthetime
TFC
User Info.
Such a great album, and serves the added purpose of displaying what a shitty rip-off bands like Underoath and Norma Jean are of this sound.
05:02 PM on 07/22/07
PigDestroyer
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
good to see this getting reviewed - hopefully exposes this record
to some people who havent heard it,
05:57 PM on 07/22/07
AnvilFace
User Info.
Botch = The Fuckin Shit!
07:12 AM on 07/23/07
SenorGoat
User Info.
Great band, great review. This band def laid the groundwork for much of what you hear today no doubt about it
07:16 AM on 07/23/07
TKTKrob
!
User Info.
good review...and such a good album. botch reunion tour!? i wish.
08:59 AM on 07/23/07
Tomisthekiller
User Info.
Great review! As someone else said above, I'm glad this is getting attention.
10:07 AM on 07/23/07
MyNameIsRoss
Solid Review,my man.
12:41 PM on 07/23/07
Kyle Thrash
https://twitter.com/thrash_itup
User Info.
i think fear before the march of flames ride their coat tails but do it with their own style. their new cd is nothing like botch. but art damage def had alot of similar botch riffs in songs.
02:39 PM on 07/23/07
kevinrocks409
kiss kitty on the lips
User Info.
thanks for the great review. botch are musical gods.
this is an awesome album, and the re-issue is incredible. thank you for reviewing this album!
02:57 PM on 07/23/07
TyroneShoolaces
User Info.
botch is so amazing. hope some people check them out after this.
03:33 PM on 07/23/07
MonkeyBars
is awesome.
User Info.
Now we just need We Are The Romans. That's what I really want to see re-released.
06:09 PM on 07/23/07
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
Now we just need We Are The Romans. That's what I really want to see re-released.
I'd love to see that re-released. It's one of my favorites and I'd love some more demos or bonus tracks from that.
02:10 PM on 07/25/07
schaft
iESTOY POOPIN!
User Info.
I heart Botch. I heart them a lot.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives