astaticskyline
Musician, Network Services Engineer
User Info.
Not good.
06:35 AM on 12/09/11
Aphasia17
Koi No Yokan
User Info.
I love the new album, but that performance was not good at all.
06:36 AM on 12/09/11
Guitarfreak182
User Info.
I actually think Tom's vocals have improved since....WDNTW era....Tom's always been lacking in the vocal performance area, but listen to his vocals from like 2006ish and compare it to now, and this performance was actually reallly good for him. that's just my thought though. I've just gotten used to Tom's voice and accept the fact that he'll never live up to however he does it in the studio. and that's probably because they fix it up and stuff.
06:40 AM on 12/09/11
Nolessthanblink
Are you watching closely?
User Info.
Tom's lost the plot and Mark sounds a little...sick? or something. I dunno. Something about the performance is off.

Nothing has beaten this for me yet:

Can't tell if that one's cleaned up a bit or not, but I'm betting it is (after seeing them nearly a dozen times, Tom's guitar work is too clean in that video to believe he played it that well live lol),

But I think this is my favorite tv performance I've seen from them... The bridge for the Rock Show and the instrumentation on Miss You is awesome.
06:40 AM on 12/09/11
honestykills
User Info.
Another solid performance from Travis.

Also, Tom doesn't sound near as bad as these comments would seem. Maybe I've seen Tom enough that my standards are set low his live performances, and this isn't awful like some of his others...
06:43 AM on 12/09/11
thesealiferocks
User Info.
Any notice how the Conan site spelled it "Blimk 182"?
06:44 AM on 12/09/11
RockVocalPower
Ups and Downsizing
User Info.
More irrational Tom hate.
06:49 AM on 12/09/11
iseejosh
Registered Member
User Info.
when are people going to accept that tom sounds the way he sounds live. take it or leave it. its not changing.
06:50 AM on 12/09/11
ben mears
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
as much as i can't stand tom singing live....he isn't all that bad in this video.
06:50 AM on 12/09/11
drudo182
You Are Not Alone
User Info.
Eh.
06:51 AM on 12/09/11
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
I can't tell if you're being serious.
I mean, in comparison to other TV and live performances in the last three years..he sounds very good
06:55 AM on 12/09/11
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
I mean, in comparison to other TV and live performances in the last three years..he sounds very good

as much as i can't stand tom singing live....he isn't all that bad in this video.

when are people going to accept that tom sounds the way he sounds live. take it or leave it. its not changing.

More irrational Tom hate.

To address all of the above comments at once, people aren't saying Tom sounds off compared to the Tom Standard. It's that there's a huge difference between Studio Tom and Live Tom that you don't see to that extent with most acts.
07:18 AM on 12/09/11
brainconfetti
walking is still honest
User Info.
I was really disappointed by their performance. They were extremely apathetic, Tom's voice sounded awful, and the guitar was up way too loud. I thought mark sounded pretty good, and Travis was the only solid part of the performance. I know they are a band that is better in studio than live, but they have never been that horrible any time that I have ever seen them. Maybe it has to do with the sound of the new album, whatever it is, I want the energy of the old days back.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos